main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - Legends Long Gone – Yoda meets Padmé’s ghost; COMPLETE -- replies for epilogue chapters 12-1

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Kahara, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Like Mando-Man, I'm loving the way you manage to seamlessly incorporate humorous moments into this reflective, otherworldly, and serious atmosphere. Though that was one thing I always enjoyed about the ESB Yoda—his blending of deep spirituality with a sense of humor. For some reason, one of my favorite moments of that in this chapter is, "More formal you become when being a menace you are." (Which is, of course, a time-honored tactic even in this universe! :D ) And, of course, "Vanishing does not win arguments." :D Interesting incorporation of the Vos kids and Scout and her sister.

As always, a joy to read, and I can't wait to see what will come next! Brava, ma'am. @};-

2. Mando-Man

Mando-Man Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2008
    Findswoman I tend to find the humor in most things no matter how well hidden it may be. :D

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Padme is building a new Jedi-order, giving Vos, Tano and Scout. She is planning for the future just like her daughter

AzureAngel2, Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  4. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Welcome back, Kahara! Hope you had a good trip. :)

Do not mess with a mother and her children, Master Yoda. You will not win. I think every mother has said she'd die for her children if necessary. If death was no barrier, you can bet we'd be interceding from the other side, too.

[face_laugh] Sounds like fun to me! (Another story, perhaps? :D) Can't wait to see if Padme talks Yoda around to forming this Jedi Academy....especially as I get the feeling we've met Scout's little sister in another capacity.

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Raissa Baiard, you're spot on about moms and their kids! :rose

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  6. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    she'd die for her children if necessary

What's sobering is that a mom would kill for them, too.[face_coffee]

7. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Ahsoka!!

8. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    Awesome putting Scout in there. Wished we'ed seen more of her after Dari Rendevous..

9. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I love the back-and-forth:
    "The dead have no responsibility to worry over the living, of that much I am sure...."

"And you have no responsibility to worry over me, Master Yoda. "
    --
    “Do this you cannot.”

“Oh, I most certainly can.”

And as others have pointed out, I also love the subtle humor:
    “More formal you become when being a menace you are.”

Interesting it is, really. Each and every time he thinks this cannot get more alarming, it does.

If things are to be this aggravating, more stew he will need to make.

Looking forward to more!

10. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    This is growing more interesting, can't wait for more

11. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Replies - Chapter 6

Hello! I'm still here, just disorganized and behind on everything. Thank you all for your comments. :D

If all goes as planned, Chapter 8 will be up tomorrow. Chapter 7 replies later.

@Cael-Fenton:

Good question and not silly at all. I did leave things vague. It's neither AU nor canon at this point. The way it worked out in writing is that the main part of this story occurs in a nebulous place where we could be looking at a missing moment from canon... but other possibilities are suggested. That seemed to suit the atmosphere. I added an epilogue that does take it in one direction or the other (can't tell everyone which one yet, because of spoilers!) :)

@Mando-Man:

She has literally nothing left to lose at this point, which gives her something of an edge.

There was at least one Force ghost motivated by guilt in canon (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aidan_Bok -- admittedly from a kids' book, but it was one of the better of those series.) Found that interesting in the light of how it's now known to be a rare art form based on utter selflessness at the moment of death. The idea that there could be multiple kinds and layers of ghostliness appeals to me. (Obviously, the ancient Sith managed it somehow!) Padmé's apparition here was influenced by the traditional idea of ghosts with unfinished business. Lacking in malice, but a little out of sync with the universe. If you happened to walk by her, you'd probably feel a touch of cold and not know why.

@Findswoman:

The threat of appearing to the twins was one of the ideas that manifested some time after I started writing and wouldn't let go -- because if you give an adept politician the ability speak to people at any distance... that's actually "more powerful than you can possibly imagine." ;) Especially if they have every reason to do so.

Regarding what happens to the untrained, Luke seemed to take it well when Obi-Wan's voice showed up at the Death Star run and Leia talked to Anakin's ghost soon after his death. So they'd probably be unharmed by the suddenly seeing ghosts part -- though Yoda might not know that. The main issue is probably the information Amidala might choose to relay.

The Jedi survivors from that time period fascinate me. They're one of the things that are often disdained about the EU, but I like them. Yes, Luke is said to be "last of the Jedi" but I don't think we have to assume Yoda's omniscience. And really it takes nothing away from his achievements in my mind, because none of those people would have been able to restart the Jedi. I think that was his job. The existence of all these others just adds to the mythology of the Empire's reign.

Living on Dagobah would have to be a constant series of small skirmishes and compromises with the environment. Anywhere that swampy and full of life (bugs, I can just imagine the bugs) would be a challenge.

@pronker:

Yes, this Padme is a bit more ruthless than I'd ever thought to imagine her before. But the stakes are the highest. She was a leader to her people, and while she would never be the backbiting and assassinations type, that kind of role requires a bit of starch when it comes to getting your own way.

Hmm, I haven't written much about what she's up to between appearances. This whole story is already drafted and I am the slowest writer ever, but maybe in a oneshot at some point. My guess is that the ghosts spend much of their invisible time in a dream-like state. Gathering themselves enough to appear and sound logical is actually quite a strain on them. (Otherwise, why not do so more often?)

@earlybird-obi-wan:

Yes, it seemed like she would not want one of her children to have to do everything alone. Padme was used to making decisions, but she also had allies and support personnel to aid her (the handmaidens, for example.) She knows the value of having some backup.

@Theodore Hawkwood:

I've been away longer, so no problem. It is interesting to think how many different ways the NJO could have been arranged. All having their own drawbacks, which would come to light in time.

@Falcon:

It's one that Yoda may have not fully considered yet. Family ties are more vital to those who grew up with them, which both Padme and the twins did.

@K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku:

It was intriguing to approach this problem from Yoda's perspective (or as close as possible, anyway.) The OT Yoda had an interesting mix of humility and arrogance. So I've tried to capture that, and the sense that he's come to value both tradition and new beginnings. He and Padme both want the Empire gone and the Jedi back. There's just a difference of opinion as to the particular road to get there. I think it must be hard to listen fully to the young when you have seen many generations ignoring the same exact advice and suffering for it.

@JadeLotus:

Yes, I always felt that her death was ambiguous in cause -- I just don't buy "losing the will to live" as a diagnosis, especially since her medical care was from a robot that was designed to treat aliens. But I can believe that she would have a moment of pure exhaustion -- who wouldn't at that point? The only difference here is that she had a moment of opportunity to turn back, and really I do think she would have stayed any way she could. Not just for the children, though definitely for them, but because she spent her whole life trying to protect and care for the people of the galaxy. The Empire was making a shambles of that.

@Mando-Man:

LOL. :p It seemed like the most natural and undiplomatic response he could make there. Yoda's an odd one; the best way I can describe that aspect of him is that he cares a great deal about his dignity and not at all about what people think of him!

@Nyota's Heart:

She's had a lot of practice at getting all of her points in, I suspect. Not easy to make the Senate listen to you for more than ten seconds. The "blackmail" surprised me, but then a lot of this did. :)

12. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Tags: earlybird-obi-wan, Falcon, Findswoman, JadeLotus, Mando-Man, K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku, Raissa Baiard, Thuro

Chapter 8: Divergence

Life in the swamp does not lend itself to tracking time carefully, but it has been a few weeks since Amidala’s last appearance. The stars of Kerest and Praesitlyn are now visible in the sky at night, as the seasonal rotation of Dagobah around its sun has brought them into view again.

The holes that the leaf-tail left in the food storage areas have been patched, but now the east wall of the hut is starting to cave. Yoda is working on the problem, replacing rotted-out materials with new branches and clay. Routine this kind of thing has been for many years. Fix one thing, another breaks. For a dwelling to remain in working condition in this environment is not natural. All sentient-made things tend to surrender to the waters and disappear. Only by making compromises is he able to keep the place standing at all.

Some of those compromises are in a state of disorder. The carpenter slugs that help to maintain the walls have disappeared. Thus the clay crumbles more quickly. Collapsing without support the braces of the walls are, as the dried mud falls away. Inconvenient. Missing as well are the whiptail gargouilles and the sleen which patrol inside the dwelling for pests. Small biting insects have increased in numbers as a result of their absence.

Resentful of the trouble he cannot be, however. The animals fled because of the subtle turmoil of their home’s largest inhabitant. Attuned to the Jedi Master they have become over time, and his recent worry disrupts their sense of security. No sign he has seen of the ghost, yet he knows in the quick of his claws that the incident is not concluded.

Finished with his work for the moment, Yoda leaves the wall repairs to dry in the late morning sun and goes out to meditate. He finds one of his favorite refuges, a small meadow shaded by the interlaced branches of mossy gnarltrees. Spotlight sloths are there feeding on the lahdia plants, but they ignore him. Their vague, fuzzy minds make little disturbance in the Force and they seem to regard him as a sort of boulder to be avoided as they shuffle around searching for lahdia blooms.

Though the sloths are not a distraction, Yoda is no more successful than he has been for some time now. Years on Dagobah have taught him to pay attention to the quiet things. The Force is strong here, but when it communicates it speaks in a different tone than elsewhere. Softly, subtly, as though its voice must pass through water. Peculiar in nature is this planet, and he has a hunch that there is more to its secrets than the Cave’s delusions. Lately he finds that the state of the Force mirrors his surroundings: misty and maze-like, filled with deep currents and elusive shadows. Neither devoid of the darkness nor eclipsed by it.

Opening his eyes at dusk, he sees the ghost of Qui-Gon Jinn bowed in a kneeling meditative pose at his side.

Yoda nods and greets the other Jedi respectfully, as he has done since beginning his apprenticeship in the knowledge of the Whills. Still, he gives Qui-Gon a skeptical look as the Human returns his pleasantries. Throw away decades of a changed and less adversarial friendship with the man he will not, but he does not appreciate being manipulated. More than suspicion he now has.

“Mind explaining why Amidala suddenly has developed a habit of wandering about as a Force ghost do you?” he inquires, letting the Human know with his flat tone of voice that no bantha fodder will be accepted.

The spirit’s expression is concerned but not guilty.

“There are more powers in the universe than the use of the Force through living midi-chlorians – as you have seen. Some beings have a certain amount of aptitude for making themselves known to the living. It is possible, though not easy, for Jedi spirits to lend these people a bit of Force energy to use for the purposes of communicating more directly.” Qui-Gon shrugs. His aura exudes serious deliberation, though Yoda also sees the telltale crinkles at the corners of his eyes that hint at some amusement. “Though you may not be able to hear her under most circumstances, we most certainly can.”

“Loud and clear,” the disembodied voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi interjects.

“Envision that Amidala would persist in speaking her mind to you I can,” Yoda says, “but sound like people who have been harried into a reluctant choice you do not.”

“Not that much, no,” he hears Obi-Wan reply.

“Padmé Amidala was not and is not a Jedi,” Qui-Gon adds. “That limits her expertise in matters of the Force, but it also grants her a unique view. It looks more and more like that will be needed here. You’ve noticed that things are a bit unsettled in the galaxy.”

“Unravel years of planning she will, if you do not find a way to stop her.”

Qui-Gon chuckles and shakes his head. “It does not work that way, Master Yoda. What she does with the ability to communicate is up to her now. Neither Obi-Wan nor I can do anything about it.”

“Mmm hmm. Only in some degree do I believe that.” Though Force ghosts seem to be virtually incapable of outright lying, he has seen that with practice they often become adept at editing the truth.

“You have not rushed off to find Luke Skywalker and intervene with whatever Amidala might say,” Qui-Gon observes.

“No. That I have not.” He wraps his cloak tighter against the chill of the evening, then folds his hands together and rests his chin on them. “Swift action would not have been useful, I felt. Waiting… searching for an answer I have been.”

“Have you found one?”

He looks up at the ghost with a dubious widening of his eyes and gestures to the contrary. “Same answer I have been given since the Death Star’s demise, only more so now.” Yoda exhales wearily. “Mine is the decision.”

The tall ghost nods. “There are many crossroads. Shatterpoints, the key places where decisions will be made, are not evenly scattered across time. They congregate. We spirits in the Force have felt them forming and disappearing since the Rebellion against the Empire began. I believe that you hold one such shatterpoint of great significance in your hands.”

Notes:
    Kerest (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kerest) and Praesitlyn (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Praesitlyn) are in the Sluis sector along with Dagobah, so they might be close enough to be seen in the sky at night.
    Whiptail gargouilles were inspired by the arachnids called whip scorpions or vinegaroons (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelyphonida – although nasty looking, none of the species are venomous and a few are kept as pets.) The gargouille (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gargouille) was a kind of dragon in French folklore.
    Sleen (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sleen)
    Gnarltree (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gnarltree)
    Spotlight sloth (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Spotlight_sloth)
    Lahdia plant (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lahdia_plant)
    Shatterpoint (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shatterpoint)

13. Mando-Man

Mando-Man Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2008
    I'm not surprised to see good ole Qui Gon irritating Yoda even in the afterlife.

14. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    yet he knows in the quick of his claws that Neat turn of phrase, and compelling update - I liked how Qui-Gon communicates with his 'pupil', knowing that Yoda is the true pivot here - had to smile at Obi-Wan's chiming in, too! [face_coffee]

15. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Like the visit of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Luke will appear and Yoda will be the trainer.

16. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Sounds like Padme has an advantage in the afterlife, not surprised. She can be quite persuasive when she wants to be. More soon

17. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Great to see Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan! I really like the descriptions of the sloths, the helpful bugs that have left, and the different "tone" of the Force on Dagobah. Very nice!

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful conversation and revelations =D= and I really like the even if inadvertent metaphor of things falling apart. I.e., the Jedi Order needing rebuilding etc.

19. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Loved the descriptions of Yoda marking the passage of time. And Qui-Gon speaking sense as usual! Interesting to see what Yoda will decide.

Kahara likes this.
  20. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm a terrible reviewer. I think the word I first used to describe this fic was "remarkable", I'll stick with it.

21. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Replies - Chapter 7

First of all, thank you very much to everyone who left comments! [:D]

Nyota's Heart

All those years, nothing to do but think, no television... :p It's interesting that you picked out a similarity between mother and daughter. That wasn't in my conscious thoughts while writing, but I'm delighted by it. :)

I've been curious about Scout's character ever since reading a story that used to be on here, The Price of Courage (http://boards.theforce.net/threads/price-of-courage-au-obi-wan-whie-luke-updated-4-20.20124958/ -- a great story, unfortunately now truncated.) She wasn't even in it, having been a casualty of the Temple massacre in that AU. But the information that I found upon searching for her sounded familiar in ways that made me wonder if she could be a relative of someone else in the EU.

pronker

I kind of love minor characters. You may have noticed. ;) As I've mentioned before, the odd stragglers from the Republic Jedi who survived into the intertrilogy era are a favorite of mine. (Come to think of it, many of my old favorite stories on these boards feature OC's by that description.)

Mando-Man

It makes as much sense as it did to me while writing it, probably. :p Yoda often has an odd perspective on things. As for Quinlan and Korto -- thought it would be interesting to see what ever happened to them. Korto was born right around the Empire's beginning, so he'd have to be about Luke and Leia's age by the OT.

Findswoman

I love how the OT Yoda veers between eccentric goofball and deadly serious little green Merlin at the drop of a hat, so if that shows then I am very glad! :D Dagobah is one of the settings that really entrance me in the saga, so it's definitely meant to have a certain character to it.

Formality and menace go together like peanut butter and chocolate -- come to think of it, the scariest people in the Star Wars universe tend to be very careful in their words.

Vanishing to win arguments would be hard to resist if one had the ability. And annoyingly effective.

earlybird-obi-wan:

Yes, she wants to arrange things so that they will have a team that can work well together and cover all the bases -- although no plan is perfect. Also, Jedi Masters do not like being managed. ;)

Raissa Baiard:

Exactly. While I think Padme would normally be a more "by the rules" kind of person, she's got a perfect motivation to find every loophole and lever that she possibly can use.

Oh, the plot bunnies. Perhaps we've seen her -- there is a suspiciously high population of Force-sensitive female redheads. ;)

JadeLotus:

Yeah, Ahsoka! There's something fun about mixing the eras that way -- she'd be in her late thirties or older, but definitely not dead of old age yet.

Thuro:

Working in characters from different branches of the EU is one of the things I enjoy about fanfic.

Tarsier

I'm glad that you enjoyed those parts. Thanks for sharing your favorites!:)

Falcon:

Glad to see you still reading. Hope you enjoy the future installments!

22. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Replies - Chapter 8

As always, a big thanks to everyone who commented! :) Chapter 9 goes up tomorrow.

@Mando-Man

Yes, I think they get along a bit better than they used to, but they still each have their own opinions. And neither of them yield their ground very easily! [face_laugh]

@pronker

It’s fun to give Yoda some “alien” phrases that may or may not be from his homeworld. ;) Qui-Gon knows that Yoda will have a key choice to make no matter what Padme or the other spirits do – they can influence things towards their desired outcomes, they can appear at someone’s bedside and go “boo”, but it’s the response of the living that will determine how it all turns out. One of those crucial players is Yoda, even though he feels he has one foot in the grave.

@earlybird-obi-wan

They were bound to turn up sooner or later. Luke will arrive on Dagobah eventually. What else happens is yet to be decided… :)

@Falcon

[face_laugh] Well, it’s the thing that happens when you give a senator a soapbox… then she’ll want to talk to people! Naturally. :)

@Tarsier

They had to show up eventually – the whole thing is partially their “fault.” :p Dagobah was fun to write, since it seemed like it ought to echo Yoda’s own nature a bit: rich in life, wise in its own strange way, and carrying a touch of the eerie unknown.

@Nyota's Heart

Glad you liked the conversation! Things falling apart can be a burden, or it can open up possibilities. Hope you’ll like how it turns out. :)

@JadeLotus

He probably even has a chronometer of some sort, but why would you bother after a while? ;) Qui-Gon is used to providing a counterpoint by now, with the bonus that Yoda respects him and will at least listen – usually. [face_laugh]

@Chyntuck

Thanks! :D And you’re just fine – I do the same thing, feeling like I have to come up with the perfect thing to say about other writers’ stories. In reality, some version of “I liked this” is always good!

Ewok Poet and AzureAngel2 like this.
  23. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    "No bantha fodder will be accepted." Love it! :D

It's really cool to hear more details on the mechanics and implications of Padmé's Force-ghost-dom. Especially to hear that she wasn't totally passive in the matter and that even without being a Jedi she had within herself a certain ability to make herself known after death. Qui-Gon seems almost slightly critical of Yoda for not taking immediate action on this matter, but methinks Yoda did the right thing in taking the time to meditate on things before rushing headlong into action. Especially in light of his realization that he's the shatterpoint—what a dreadfully heavy burden for those narrow green shoulders!

And as always, stunning descriptions of the atmosphere, flora, and fauna of Dagobah. Very interesting that even the local animals have picked up on the inner Force turmoil of the "largest inhabitant," but also not surprising given the seriousness of the situation.

Eagerly awaiting tomorrow's update. @};-

24. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Findswoman

Yes -- it seemed most natural for her to be working on a level somewhat familiar from Earth folklore concerning ghosts; for some reason the unfinished business of her life created a dissonance in the Force. This gave her an opportunity that she chose to take. So it's a weird and circumstantial thing that she's able to do this, but it's also a decision she made of her own free will.

I agree that taking some time to think it over makes sense in this case. The intention was that Qui-Gon isn't so much criticizing as trying to bring to attention what Yoda already knows. This is a complicated choice, and nobody involved has all of the information to know what one path or another will bring.

A tidbit that stood out to me while researching Yoda's dwelling was that it decayed soon after his death, and there was speculation that he'd maintained it with the Force. The thing with the resident creatures was inspired by that detail. (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yoda's_hut) The balancing act of Yoda's way of living in the swamp became intriguing to me. There's an extent to which one would have to adapt and be one with nature -- and yet not too much, or the swamp could just casually overgrow all the necessary supplies and shelter!

I can't recall if it was ever stated in the books, but from somewhere I picked up the theory that Yoda came to Dagobah specifically because there was something weird in the Force there and it would hide him well. So now I imagine Dagobah as having a semi-sentience of its own, shaped by the life on it as well as the Dark Side cave and other anomalies. Not something that can be kept at bay, but not something to welcome with open arms. (Of course, that didn't make it in since it didn't belong in the plot. I'm reduced to rambling in the replies. :p)

Thank you for the comment! :)

25. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Tags: @earlybird-obi-wan, @Falcon, @Findswoman, @JadeLotus, @Mando-Man, @K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku, @Raissa Baiard, @Thuro

Thank you to Nyota's Heart for beta reading!

I apologize to anyone whose tag does not work. I've tried to figure out why the tagging feature often malfunctions, with very little luck. As far as I can tell, something about the cutting-and-pasting needed for a story chapter just messes things up (but only sometimes) and there is no obvious solution. If anyone knows the cause of this issue and/or a handy workaround, please let me know about it!

Chapter 9: Decision
    “This should not be.” Yoda searches the other Jedi’s face for something, anything to negate this troubling news. Nowhere is it to be found.

“And why not?”

“The teaching of a Jedi apprentice does not run one direction; know that well you do. The Master must learn along with the Padawan. Nearly too old am I to begin that process with one student. Several – not likely! No time remains for grand ventures. Not yet dead am I, but soon. Soon enough that I must be mindful of what I start.”

He accepts the outstretched hand that Qui-Gon’s spirit offers by reflex, finding that the gesture somehow works in spite of the Force spirit’s weightless substance. Rarely did a Jedi exchange any but the most reserved touch. Yet this contact is familiar; even a Jedi youngling needed a hand held in comfort after a nightmare, or to be guided along the halls of the Temple.

“The details need some refining, but changing our plans may not be the worst idea,” Qui-Gon says. “There is truth in what Padmé says. You would not have to take this on alone.”

“Pushing for this idea you are?”

“It’s more that I have accepted that there is a potential for going another way and I wanted you to at least have the chance to hear it. Whether it would be the best path or not, that I cannot tell you.”

“Bring in the survivors of the Purges I would rather not.” He breathes in deeply. Ponders the question that he knows Qui-Gon will not ask. Some pains the other Jedi is aware of and will not poke at, even for a cause. “Fail them I have.” He looks away.

“That’s assuming far more control over events than any of us had.” Obi-Wan appears to the side of the other Jedi spirit. “As one of those fugitives? You didn’t fail us. The things you missed during the Clone Wars were the same things all of us missed. And frankly, expecting yourself to be more perceptive than thousands of Jedi put together is a bit excessive.”

His old student smiles, looking almost his actual middle-age in spite of the weathering that the desert suns left as their mark. “Vader and the Emperor’s lackeys were thorough, but they were not omnipotent – much as they would like to be. There are some survivors who chose the same as I and are still waiting in quiet for the Jedi to revive. And there are some who moved on to build new lives and families.”

“Perhaps left to those new lives they ought to be, then.”

“I am sure some of them would be of the same mind. Others could be convinced. The Emperor’s galaxy will have little place for them as it grows more organized. What you have some influence over is when they may bring the fight to the Empire, not whether they will need to do so.” The grim certainty in Kenobi’s eyes echoes in his Force signature. “That said, it is a complicated matter. None of us whose time is already gone can advise you with perfect accuracy.”

Qui-Gon nods towards the other man, then turns to Yoda. “Yes, and I think the Force has told you as much?”

“Hmm. Two paths. One practical and not hastily created. Product of years of planning on the part of all three of us. The other, not driven by ill motives I think. But more complicated, hard to pursue, of uncertain results. Is this your understanding as well?” Yoda observes the two Jedi spirits closely, not bothering to curb his concentration out of politeness. No possibility of failed communication can he allow.

Somewhat amusing it is to see how strong their habits remain; there is the slightest eye contact between the former Master and Padawan and he sees a consensus reached without words.

“It’s as close to it as any of us are likely to be able to explain,” Qui-Gon affirms.

“Then see you I will, when I have determined a path.”

They all three bow to each other with ingrained Jedi courtesy, and the two ghosts blink out of existence as though they were nothing but illusions of the mist.

Mulling over the conversation, Yoda returns home. Navigating through the swamp after nightfall is a treacherous ordeal, but he manages with ease. Trained he has, through years of practice and the instruction that Dagobah provides simply by being itself.

He pauses outside and reflects on his home for a moment. Though the windows are dark and the hut nearly disappears into the landscape, he can sense all that he wants to know through the Force. Empty it is, right now. Falling apart and abandoned by all other creatures who shared it.

Remain that way it need not. Yoda can foresee the future where he stays here. The uncertainty left behind, he will go back to living in the simplicity of Dagobah. And Dagobah will accept him. The small creatures will return and make themselves at home, as though they had never been gone. The days will flow past until Luke Skywalker arrives to learn the ways of the Jedi. His one apprentice he will teach as best he can, and when he must depart he will go to sleep in peace. Not a bad journey this is, and he sees less of selfishness than of common sense in it.

However. If he were to choose otherwise – hmm. From a home without inhabitants it is much easier to walk away. The rhythms of daily life have their own pull, one as powerful and subtle as the tides that feed the swamps. Disrupted that routine has been, and now is the opportunity. Some thought the possibility deserves.

He paces in front of the hut, “thinking with his feet again” as his old Master would have called it.

Through the mists, only the slightest hint of moonlight gleams off the water of deep pools and slow-running streams. From far off, he can hear the reverberating yowls of the spotlight sloths singing in chorus. Marsh boomers, insects, night birds, the splash of something very large breaching in the nearby pond. Sanctuary this has been for a very long time. He takes a moment to appreciate the smell of moss and decaying plant matter.

Two phantoms appear in the fog and he turns to them with an answer written in his wrinkled features. Understanding him without words this time, they smile in reply and fade.

Notes:

Marsh boomers – name inspired by the “mountain boomer”, a name used in the western United States for the common collared lizard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_collared_lizard). These lizards have some folklore associated with them, including the (false) beliefs that they are venomous and that they can make strange, loud noises (link: a nature blog article that mentions some of these stories http://texasnature.blogspot.com/2005/08/cross-timbers-wildlife-news-mountain.html).

Ewok Poet, Tarsier and AzureAngel2 like this.