main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - Legends Long Gone – Yoda meets Padmé’s ghost; COMPLETE -- replies for epilogue chapters 12-1

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Kahara, Jun 14, 2014.

1. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Well, I think that Yoda will be as brave taking on new apprentices as he was taking on Dooku, but we shall see.[face_chicken]

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent update. =D= ... Looking forward to the outworking of the choice Yoda has settled upon.

Kahara likes this.
  3. Mando-Man

Mando-Man Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2008
    Kinda feel bad that Yoda feels he failed the Jedi Order. Obi-Wan was right when he said that Yoda wasn't the only Jedi who failed to see what was truly happening.

4. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Great conversation between the three Jedi.

Beautifully written paragraph.

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Well, the moment of truth is here: it's all up to Yoda. This is one choice I know I'd have a very hard time making. There are attractions to both paths: the cherished peace and solitude of the first, the lure of something different—even of adventure—in the second. His feeling of failure toward the Purge survivors is certainly understandable, but Obi-Wan's right: there's nothing any single person could have done to avert those calamities. Love the observations on the mutual, partnership character of the Jedi learning process—details like that just bring stories to a whole new level of interest.

And the ending—suspense! :eek: Very clever to have him come to a decision in such a way that we as readers don't actually know what decision he's come to. Sort of the opposite of dramatic irony. :cool:

On tags: It's funny, I didn't get the tag this time, but it's showing up as a link in the text. In your Word file, did you enter the tags as full links (e.g., "[ USER=1382244 ]Findswoman[ /USER ]—without the spaces, of course), or just as at-symbol-plus-name? One thing to try is pasting the word file in as plain text (or as "merge formatting"); the default paste option usually transfers all the formatting and such too, which might cause things like tags to misbehave. Just a thought.

Ewok Poet, AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Wise discussions and conclusions Yoda is making.

7. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Obi-Wan and Gui-Gon have taken Padme's side I see. She's been a busy ghost as of late.

More soon

8. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Replies - Chapter 9

Thank you to everyone who commented. :) Part one of the epilogue will be up soon (today.)

pronker

Yoda certainly has his work cut out for him if he chooses that route! [face_mischief]

Nyota’s Heart

I'll be very interested to see what people think of the conclusion. It wasn't the only one that could have worked, but it was fun to write and hopefully ties things up for the main tale. :) (However, it does nothing against the plot bunnies that readers' comments have spawned. :p)

Mando-Man

Yes, he's taking a disproportionate amount of the blame. On the Council, he was in charge of directing the Jedi Order and keeping them safe. It may not have been possible, but even now he believes that he should have been able to see what was wrong. He probably could have handled things better with or without some clarifying vision, and I'm pretty sure that he'd be all too aware of that after thinking on it for years.

JadeLotus

I'm glad that you liked the conversation, since it was a tricky one. :)

Findswoman

It is a difficult decision that he's been presented, and I could not really blame him for making either choice. (Actually, I may write an alternate epilogue someday. Just because I have so much time and so few ideas clamoring to get out. :p) It's always been my instinct that the whole "a Jedi craves not these things" regarding adventure was the result hard-won experience.

Anakin might have been the only one other than Palpatine who could have diverted the course of the Republic's fall, and I honestly don't know whether anyone could have gotten through to him. He was not in a listening mood. Yoda didn't really deal well with Anakin at any point. Maybe he could have changed something. It's hard to say. Yoda would not be solely responsible in any case, but I think there's still the alternate side of that old arrogance. He was in charge, he was the wisest, and so he should have known better than anyone -- or so he thinks. I always had the impression that he was pretty harsh on himself about the destruction of the Jedi.

So much of the prequel-era EU focuses on that kind of learning partnership, so it seemed like something that Yoda would be thinking about with regards to teaching. Thanks. It's fun when people spot the detail stuff.

The main body of the story is intentionally caught between canon and AU. The epilogue chapters are... one of those. Leaving it ambiguous up to the last was the way that made sense, with the twilight realm of Dagobah and the ghosts and everything. ;)

Thank you for the detailed suggestions. I am trying the alternate formatting for tags this time around. The plain text did not transfer well, so I may be stuck with some of the issues. Unfortunate. But thank you for the troubleshooting! :)

earlybird-obi-wan, Falcon
    Thank you. :)

AzureAngel2 and Findswoman like this.
  9. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Tags: earlybird-obi-wan , Falcon, Findswoman, JadeLotus, Mando-Man, K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku, Raissa Baiard, Thuro

Well, here we are. Part one of the end! :D

Epilogue 1: Sunrise

Dantooine, 4 ABY

For many hours, traveling they have been. Pale shades of the approaching dawn glow on the horizon. After a night of climbing on loose shale, finally the small group of Jedi can see over the ridge.

“Are we there yet?” The student’s question almost rises to a whine before ending in a yawn.

Kajin Savaros reaches out to prop up his eleven-year-old Padawan before he falls down.

“Wake up. There’s no snoozing in recon, Kyp!” A blond Human, once trained as a Gray Paladin and now working with his wife Ahsoka’s allies, grins at his newest apprentice. The boy looks blearily up at the recently minted Jedi Knight and attempts a mutinous expression. Somewhat hampered it is by the smile that lifts the corner of his mouth in spite of all efforts.

Yoda watches Savaros coach the child through the basics of using the Force to regain one’s energy. The determined frown on Durron’s face reminds him still of another learner, one who was also scarred by slavery at far too young an age. Of all the perils in the rebuilding of the Jedi Order, Yoda recalls that the introduction of Kyp Durron was one of the most perturbing to him. So much power, so prematurely, in one who had learned that the galaxy rewarded the merciless. Reminiscent of Vader’s he had found the youngling’s background, and frightening.

However, Kyp Durron is not Anakin Skywalker. No more so than the brother and sister who are caught up in an animated conversation with Barratk’l, Runab Ehata, and Lorcan Vos. Something the topic has to do with light freighter hyperdrives. Ehata and Leia both are staunchly supporting the quality of the units installed in the CR series. Yoda remembers that this is the type of corvette favored by many in the Alliance. More Yoda has learned of ships and their trappings than he ever expected or really wished. Part and parcel of training two Skywalkers, he supposes.

When centuries younger he was, the approach of an apprentice’s trials used to bring a sense of emptiness amid the celebration he felt for their achievements. Long ago that was, and most of those students have passed into the Light since. For Leia Organa and Luke Skywalker, he feels hope for the future they may yet live to see.

The test today will be the Knighthood trials for them, as well as for a few other apprentices deemed ready. Barratk’l, the Yuzzem female raised by Ahsoka Tano and Kajin Savaros; Korto, the eldest Vos sibling; and Ehata and Cilghal, members of the Rebel Alliance who were identified as Force-sensitive by Leia and trained by the Jedi Master T’ra Saa, all will face the tests of skill and mindset prepared by their teachers.

The major goals of the exercise are to inflitrate the ruins of the Rebel base down in the riverbed, slice into the security system and get a specific hidden message, rescue a group of droids programmed to simulate prisoners, and hijack a ship guarded by reprogrammed droidekas, all with minimum losses.

Also, they must avoid being “killed” by the skulking individuals with lightsabers or stun weapons who will leap out at them from dark corners, and even try to capture them in the wilderness outside before they reach the doors.

When last Yoda saw the inside of the facility, Khaleen Hentz-Vos was assembling some sort of complicated sniper rifle altered for stun while her husband looked on in mild horror – until, that is, his wife began listing the many misdeeds of the Vos adolescents that their father had blissfully forgotten. Scout had no such misgivings and was humming cheerfully as Magash Drashi helped her string tripwires from the ceiling. The red-haired Jedi knew well her younger sister’s tendency to enter from the roof. Solo, Chewbacca, and Leia’s assistant Winter had all disappeared to their hiding places in a businesslike fashion. Well-acquainted it seemed all of them were with such practice exercises, even if they had not participated in a long time. Ahsoka had headed off into the brush with paired shockstaffs strapped to her back, while Master Saa had undoubtedly found some place to imitate the flora of Dantooine.

For the younger and less experienced students, the point of today’s mission is not to make it all the way to the end but to practice their skills and hopefully learn a bit of teamwork. This is why Savaros has accompanied them to act as an instructor, primarily for Kyp but also for Lakri Myara and the younger Vos siblings.

One other student there is. Caught uncomfortably between the stages of intermediate training and the preparation for Knighthood. Still almost belligerently herself, yet much improved Yoda must admit.

“We’re losing the cover of night.” She makes an inarticulate growl of annoyance in his general direction, which requires twisting her own head at an angle that looks awkward for a Human. “You’re doing that thing where you make yourself heavier, aren’t you? I could have been over the mountain and inside the base by now!”

“Whine no more. Need the practice in altering your perception of matter you did, and need a carrier I did. Leaving behind the group is not part of this exercise.”

The sun-freckled Human looks skyward in the way that young adults of the species do when being difficult.

“Luke,” she calls over to the blond apprentice, who makes his way over to them with a steady stride that almost masks his eagerness to be anywhere near Mara Jade. “Tell your Auntie Ahsoka that I’m never going on a trip with her again. Especially if she’s going to leave me with a bizarre Jedi recluse while she runs off to investigate mystery reports in outer nowhere.”

“Bizarre am I!” Yoda laughs long and loud, and the two Humans look at him wide-eyed. Luke snaps out of it first. Used to such outbursts he is. Padawan Jade exhales slowly, massaging the bridge between her nose and forehead as though she has pain there. New calming techniques she has learned already in these last few days. They should bring Jade to Dantooine more often.

“See,” she gestures to Luke, “this is what it’s been like ever since Ahsoka went and stranded us here. You know, I distinctly remember the oath I took when I joined the Alliance. At no time did I say the words ‘I submit to the tyranny of stew-swilling gremlins.’”

An undignified tussle ensues when Yoda pokes her in the shoulder and Jade attempts to disarm him.

“Whoa, wait.” Luke dives in and then thinks better when Jade’s – thankfully nonlethal – throw flings him to the ground and the Jedi Master’s gimer stick catches him across the thigh. “Ow! Hey!” he shouts as he climbs to his feet and assumes a more stable posture – Commander Skywalker of Rogue Squadron. The telekinetic shield that he forms between Yoda and Jade is not strong enough to really stop either of them, but it startles them enough. The young man’s expression turns from alarm to annoyance as he surveys the combatants. “I don’t even know which one of you to be embarrassed for here.”

“Both,” says Leia, who has followed her brother. She has a tendency to show up for arguments in the making. The combination of Leia’s parents Yoda can see, in that the Alderaanian-raised Padawan has been known to defuse these arguments with great finesse – or jump in with enthusiasm.

“Master Yoda.” She greets him formally, turns and does the same towards Padawan Jade.

“Start it she did.”

“Did not!”

“I know you both too well,” says the Princess. “This is what we call a recreational argument.” She smiles in amusement, a look that Yoda sees more often than he used to. It’s an oddly lopsided expression for that politician’s face and sometimes it strikes him as familiar. Neither of her parents had it. So who was it? He cannot recall.

Luke sighs. “She’s right. How is she always right? Master Yoda is his usual self, and Mara – “

“Spent the last five hours hauling a boulder shaped like a gremlin uphill. This is plain, boring as dust endurance training. I wouldn’t object to that kind of exercise under normal circumstances. Normal does not involve the Master of Crabbiness. I may not be taking my trials, but I have got a test coming up and won’t be at my best because of this elementary poodoo. We could have done this any time.” Perched on Jade’s shoulders, Yoda can feel her wince when she hears the frustration rising in her own voice.

“Reason there is why these are not your trials, Padawan Jade. And understanding me you are not,” he says when her Force aura sparks in distress. “All of life is training. This habit of dividing exercise from test is limiting. Your full energy and will you only give to those things marked as practice, while at test points you withold too much of your strength and ration it to get through. Fear of failing was ingrained deeply in your Imperial service. But live as though still the Emperor’s Hand and be a Jedi you cannot.”

“Learning the ways of the Force means failing spectacularly sometimes,” Luke adds. “Just ask Master Yoda and my sister. Gah. Actually, scratch that. Never said it!”

“Heh. Remember well I do.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of,” the young pilot returns.

“Come over for dinner some time when we’re in the same place for a day,” says Leia. “Trust me, I have all the good stories. Even holographic evidence.” She shrugs, then laughs a bit. “I didn’t take to it easily in the beginning, either.”

“Seaweed,” Luke intones significantly.

“Don’t.”

“Just saying.”

Leia shakes her head. She looks at Jade perceptively, enough that Yoda notices a brief defensive shift in the red-haired Human’s stance.

“Mara, you’re nothing close to lazy but you’re used to things coming to you more intuitively.”

A pause ensues. Yoda ponders whether it was a good idea to take his students so close to a sheer cliff face.

“Somewhat,” Jade admits cautiously.

“Trust me, Luke and I have both been there and done that. Force-use beyond what you had with the Empire really is that hard to learn. So is the philosophy that makes it work.” Leia smiles at Jade and receives a tentative grin in reply. Yoda can only theorize that their recent search for the second set of Death Star plans formed a friendship between the two women. “It takes time and yes, patience. There are plateaus where you think you’ve reached your limit. That’s not a problem, it’s the usual thing. When the time is right, you’ll break through.”

“I hope you’re right about that.” Expression somewhat more vulnerable than ordinary, and yet a little hopeful. Yoda takes note. Unsure he is about the implications of the feelings between Luke and Jade, but Leia seems to be a good influence. “Your Master Yoda is still a gremlin, though.” Well, all things have their limits.

“Fortunately for you, remain here I will while you go to the base.” He hops down to the ground.

The copper-haired Human peers at Yoda. “Why? You just said that running ahead wasn’t in the plans.”

“Ha! Running ahead of the other students is not indicated, Padawan Jade. I, however, stay here. More clearly will I see.” Yoda smiles and settles into a meditative pose, closing his eyes. “Keep in mind what I have told you and do well you will. All is training. Go on.” He nods and waves the apprentices away.

“But – Master Yoda – “ Luke protests, his words trailing off as he recognizes in the painfully sudden way the young Skywalkers have of knowing these things, that his mentor’s days are numbered.

“One must first be a fledgeling in order to fly,” he reminds his charges, the first lesson with Luke and Leia brought into what will probably be one of their last with him.

Already moving into a meditative state, Yoda can see their stricken grief vividly, as well as the fierce, diamond-bright bond that both draw on to cope. Instinctively they find support in the other, a reflex likely formed before birth. Worried queries from their fellow apprentices and Knight Savaros begin to bubble up as their emotions alert the rest of the group.

Interestingly, he can see Jade’s aura flare up and reach to theirs. She forms an unsettled but powerful third node in the silent exchange. He can see the linkage to Leia, relatively weaker than the siblings’ bond but strong for its seedling-like newness. And to Luke – a lightshow that reminds Yoda of nothing so much as the New Year Fete Week on Coruscant, all sparks and movement and fire.

His eyes blinking open in surprise, he catches a glimpse of the three Padawans, both twins leaning on each other and Jade reaching out to clasp Luke’s hand in an uncertain attempt to console. Yoda returns to contemplation, surprised and a little more informed of how things might come to be.

Notes:

The cast list here may be a little confusing, since it didn’t seem right to have Yoda give an overly detailed summary of everyone new. Here is further information on everybody that doesn’t appear in the movies.

Kajin Savaros (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kajin_Savaros) is a character from the Coruscant Nights series in EU/Legends. His profile contains spoilers for that series, particularly for Patterns of Force (Book 3.)

(BOOK SPOILERS below - I would use spoiler formatting, but it makes everything hideous.)

My unwritten background for Kaj and Ahsoka (a completely non-canon pairing) is that they met some time after Savaros went to Shili to recover under the care of the healers there. Then, through Savaros’s contacts with the fugitive Jedi Jax Pavan (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jax_Pavan - spoilers for whole Coruscant Nights series), they somehow ended up falling in with the Gray Paladins (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gray_Paladin) – not Jax’s own affiliation, but a group with which he was familiar and possibly had continuing connections.

He and Ahsoka had been together for many years when they agreed to join this new Jedi Order as a married couple. (Needless to say, that was probably an interesting negotiation and someday I may write it.)

Recommendation: if you enjoy the Coruscant Nights books, there is a very good diary written by Ewok_Slayer that is currently running (contains spoilers for the series/characters through The Last Jedi.) (http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-journal-of-jax-pavan-ddc-2014-updated-10-5-2014.50017385/)

Kyp Durron (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kyp_Durron) is a major character from the EU/Legends. In this version, he was rescued from Kessel by some of the new Jedi, possibly because Amidala warned them of his having a role in the future.

"No snoozing in recon" is a variation on "no crying in baseball" from the movie A League of Their Own. (This is one which I cannot remember hearing of except through the quote. Now I'm curious. I would link it here, but the quotes are a bit above-PG.)

Barratk’l (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Barratk'l – spoilers for Fate of the Jedi series) is introduced as a Jedi Master in the later EU/Legends. It is likely that she was trained much later than this at Luke’s academy in canon, but there are no specifics. She belongs to the Yuzzem (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yuzzem) species. Here, she’s intended to be the oldest of Ahsoka and Kajin’s adopted children – a family that now includes Kyp (the youngest and most recent), Lakri, and a couple of other middle siblings who died during their long years of running from the Empire.

Runab Ehata is an OC. (Like the other OC’s mentioned here, he has not appeared in any of my previous stories.) He is an Ishi Tib (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ishi_Tib) who was a member of the Rebellion. He and Cilghal agreed to Jedi training and were apprenticed to T’ra Saa.

In the comics, Quinlan Vos (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Quinlan_Vos - spoilers for the comics) and Khaleen Hentz (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Khaleen_Hentz - also spoilers) had one child right around the beginning of the Empire, Korto Vos (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Korto_Vos). Here they also have two younger OC children, Lorcan and Nima. Lorcan is in his mid-teens and Nima is twelve years old.

Cilghal (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cilghal) becomes a Jedi healer in the post-ROTJ books. This version sets the timeline for that several years earlier. She’s a Mon Calamari (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mon_Calamari) diplomat and happens to be a relative of Admiral Ackbar.

T’ra Saa (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T'ra_Saa – spoilers for the Republic and Legacy comics) is a Jedi Master who survived Order 66. She belongs to the Neti (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Neti) species.

The CR series corvettes include the CR90 (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/CR90_corvette), which was the model of the Tantive IV.

The droidekas (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Droideka) are refurbished leftovers from the Clone Wars.

Magash Drashi (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Magash_Drashi - spoilers for The Last Jedi) comes from the Singing Mountain Clan (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Singing_Mountain_Clan - spoilers for The Courtship of Princess Leia and other books) on Dathomir (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dathomir.) She left to travel with Jax Pavan, and somehow that led her to be among the new generation of trained Knights.

Shockstaff (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shockstaff) – more or less what it sounds like. The only appearance was in the KOTOR comics, but some form of the weapon may have survived the centuries.

Lakri Myara is another OC, a Force-sensitive female Togruta in her early teens. Kajin and Ahsoka adopted her on a visit to Shili. She was an infant at the time and had been abandoned at a sanctuary belonging to the Silent (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Silent).

Winter (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Winter_Celchu - spoilers for all kinds of things) is another re-occuring EU/Legends character.

New Year Fete Week (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/New_Year_Fete_Week) was a traditional galaxy-wide holiday.

Regarding Han’s presence, I’ve assumed that he did not end up in carbonite even though we’re approaching Return of the Jedi. It’s one of the butterfly effect results of changing the course of history. Perhaps the confrontation on Bespin will happen later, happened differently, or won’t occur at all.

Dantooine (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dantooine) was chosen as a location for the trials because it already has a past as a Jedi stronghold and an abandoned Rebel base. The theory is that this past creates a bit of “noise” like there is on Dagobah and it slightly obscures Force activity in the area.

10. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    So much gleeful whoa. :eek: =D= To go from where the story had run up to before this, and then crash into this amazing AU...it's a case of whiplash I've thoroughly enjoyed, LOL. You've just set yourself up a nigh-bottomless supply of story threads to fill in or tease out.

11. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    I imagine that Yoda and Mara Jade would have interacted like that if they had ever met. She wouldn't have had any patience for him. Quite a lot of names dropped in this chapter, looking forward to the last installment.

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Agreeing happily and thoroughly with ThreadSketch ... I adore all the L/M etc. potential in a sequel [face_batting] besides the good outcome of having more Jedi at the outset. Makes new-order building much! easier. :D

AzureAngel2, Kahara and pronker like this.
  13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I concur :)

I also think that we need to create a Best Yoda-speak Award for Kahara. She deserves it!

14. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    Chyntuck I totally agree with you on that!

AzureAngel2, Chyntuck and Kahara like this.
  15. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    I thirdly that! [face_dancing]

16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Wow. A tour-de-force chapter from the undisputed mistress of literary Yodaspeak. :cool: Love seeing these familiar faces (and some not so familiar—nice to mix some OCs in) come together under the tutelage of A Certain Green Gremlin-like Master. The new order will indeed be off to a whiz-bang start with this group. The good-natured (!) bickering between Mara and Yoda is just golden and so in character:

Yes. That. :D

Leia's encouragement and friendship with Mara is nice to see (and not often seen). Very intriguing to close with the luminous Force linkage between Luke, Leia, and Mara—a portent of all sorts of things both canonical and AU. As others have said, wonderful potential here for future stories. Or even for the alternative ending you mentioned... [face_batting]

Looking forward to everything and anything that's next!

17. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Very nice - I am ridiculously pleased at seeing the whole crew depending on each other and learning bit by bit the Jedi path. Double whoopee to hear of Vos' spawn and the redoubtable T'ra Saa. Had to smile at the way that Yoda simply was required to learn of ships and their capabilities and designs!

18. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Great update and looking forward to the final chapter

19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Full of surprises this new update is. Love the appearance of all the canon characters

20. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Excellent chapter! I love the direction this has gone in a the band of Jedi/padawans, especially the Yoda and Mara relationship. I'd be interested in reading the Ahsoka backstory you've come up with.

[face_laugh] @ the SW equivalent of "there's no crying in baseball" I love A League of their Own.

AzureAngel2, Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  21. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Tags: earlybird-obi-wan , Falcon, Findswoman, JadeLotus, Mando-Man, K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku, Raissa Baiard, Thuro

Part two of the epilogue – this is it! :) Thanks to @Nyota’s Heart for beta reading all these chapters. Also, thank you to everyone who has followed along this far. Author replies to the comments for Chapter 10 will be posted about two weeks from now. I’m very glad to have shared this strange, misty, Dagobah mosquito-infested trip with all of you! [:D]

Chapter 11: Friend

Dantooine, 4 ABY

Later, when his triumphant apprentices are on their way back up the hill with their equally elated friends and various Jedi instructors in tow, Yoda leaves his trance. As though on cue, Amidala materializes from thin air.

“Bright noon to you, Amidala.” She beams in response to the old-fashioned Naboo greeting.

“Not ‘go take a hike, crazy ghost politician?’”

“No. Even if the connections to the afterlife worked that way, take such adverse actions I knew you would not. Too much integrity to go through with it.”

She raises an eyebrow. “Well, perhaps not the most catastrophic measures. But I certainly would have meddled for the best effects that I could manage.” The Senator looks across the violet and green plains of Dantooine and back to the straggling group of Jedi and other malcontents. “This, though – this was better, for many reasons. You’ve sensed the change.”

“This I have noticed, though whether it can be so simply traced is doubtful. A natural cycle of the Force it might well be. Whatever the cause, the light is ascendant and the Sith on the wane. Precariously though, and much is still wavering.”

“Regrets?”

“None, simply more challenging is the work.” He smiles, feeling peace where once there was a grain of doubt.

Not so different has his role in the rebirth of the Jedi been than planned, actually. He spent most of a year training Leia and Luke, trusting the rest of the apprentices to Vos and Saa. Also much aid from their non-Jedi associates. Scout’s Mandalorian adoptive kin he was at first very hesitant about, given their people’s history with the Order, but they seem to have worked wonders with Jade. The destructiveness to surroundings has overall been less than anticipated. Hmm. Jade.

He looks to Amidala thoughtfully.

“Making a match you were. All of that insistence about Scout’s sister.”

She doesn’t bother denying it, showing no sign of embarrassment. “Those young people will have enough to deal with; they don’t need to be alone as long as they would have, left to their own separate paths.”

“Hmph. And what of the Princess?”

Amidala just smiles in a secretive fashion, and he groans and puts his face to his palm as the pieces of information crystallize into one.

“Not the smuggler!”

“My wonderful daughter would steamroll right over anyone else. And Solo may not like for anyone to know, but he’d follow her through all nine Corellian hells and uncharted space. I like him.” She chuckles at Yoda’s incredulous expression.

“Stranger than visions my reality is.”

“Strangeness will keep you on your toes,” she says.

“Not for long.” He knows intuitively that this is Amidala’s last haunting, and that her being here now means he has very little time left. Days or weeks.

“Seeing an old friend lifts the soul,” she says. “You will always be welcome to my home, Master Yoda, in whatever world it may be found.” He bows in response, touched by the words of someone who he finds he does consider an old friend, in spite of everything. The Jedi formality only reflects and amplifies the goodwill that he knows the Force spirit can sense.

“Take you up on that offer I may. Stories I have to tell you, of seaweed and malfunctioning astromech droids.” Looking down at the figures of Luke and Leia he adds, “But for now, I think that you might want to – what is it that you said? Take a hike!”

“I think that would be an excellent idea.” She smiles and vanishes, rematerializing near her children.

Know he does not what Amidala will have to say to the young Jedi Knights who are staring at her in confusion, but Yoda believes that the meeting will ultimately be a positive one. He settles back into meditation, basking in the sun and the wind and the smell of abramelia blooms.

End

Notes:

The Mandalorians that Yoda mentions as Scout's adoptive family are Mij Gilamar (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mij_Gilamar – spoilers for the Republic Commando novels) and Ovolot Qail Uthan (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ovolot_Qail_Uthan – same spoilers), both Mandalorians that Scout befriended after Order 66.

The abramelia plant is meant to be a bit similar to this wildflower: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abronia_ameliae)

Ewok Poet and AzureAngel2 like this.
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Fantastic wrap up Kahara. I found this perspective and AU quite entertaining. =D= And a fertile ground for further adventures, lending themselves perfectly to the flash-fiction style. :cool:

23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    perfect end to a delightful story

Kahara likes this.
  24. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Amidala just smiles in a secretive fashion, and he groans and puts his face to his palm as the pieces of information crystallize into one.

“Not the smuggler!”

“My wonderful daughter would steamroll right over anyone else. And Solo may not like for anyone to know, but he’d follow her through all nine Corellian hells and uncharted space. I like him.” She chuckles at Yoda’s incredulous expression.

Amidala knows her daughter. And knows Han is a good match for her. Love the wrap up. Great little story.

AzureAngel2, Nyota's Heart and Kahara like this.
  25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    [face_laugh]

Bee-yoo-tiful ending to a story that's equally so, with that characteristic Kahara blend of humor and poignancy. You've crafted a very satisfying AU here; it's nice to see that Yoda will spend his last days surrounded by his beloved Jedi colleagues and students on beautiful Dantooine, rather than mostly alone and near-despairing in a hut in the swamp. Given that their dear mentor's end is near, Padmé has chosen just the right time to appear to her children and their friends, and even if her presence is initially an astonishment to them, it will probably bring them great consolation too.

Bravissima all around—lovely work. =D= Now... I don't suppose the possible alternative ending you mentioned might materialize, too...? As a sort of "encore performance"? Maybe, just maybe? [face_batting]

AzureAngel2, Nyota's Heart and Kahara like this.