main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Look mommy! There's the sith!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Underdog511, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Underdog511

Underdog511 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2004
    I recently went to view Revenge of the Sith again, and when General Greivous walked onto the bridge room during the battle over Coruscant a little boy behind me started getting excited bouncing in his seat and said aloud to his mom, "Look mommy, look! It's the sith!"

Okay, so what a sith is wasn't properly conveyed to a little boy. The problem is though, is that little boys aren't the only ones getting confused over this. I've started talking about the prequel trilogy to just normal people who have seen Star Wars and aren't fans, and even some fans, who will stop me in mid sentence and ask, "What is a Sith anyway?"

This seems to be a dominant trait of those who loved Star Wars as children. After seeing the prequel trilogy, they can't seem to make up their minds as to what a sith is. I dunno, way back when I saw the Phantom Menance there was no question in my mind what a Sith was, who were Sith, that all sith had a 'Darth' title, and that they were the enemies of the Jedi. How come this was clear to me, and not so many other people?

I've actually had someone ask me why all the bad guys seem to have the first name, "Darth".

Did anyone here have trouble understanding the concepts surrounding the Sith? Have any of you met anyone who's not understood what a sith was?

EDIT: This question is posed to the entire prequel trilogy, not just RotS. Was the concept of a Sith conveyed well enough?

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    These people you speak of are obviously morons.

;)

3. kann

kann Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2005
    The boy got mislead by the movie posters and thought Grievous was the one to get his revenge....

4. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    When I first saw TPM, I thought Maul's race was a Sith.

5. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    This is just another instance of people not being able to understand simple concepts.

6. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    I take offense to that.

7. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    obviously a failing of public edjucation, they should stop teaching reading and writing all together and just focus on remedial star wars classes, that way people can learn what's really important[face_laugh]

8. DarthVegas

DarthVegas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    If these same people went to view Batman Begins, they would have no problem understanding the conceptual details of who is what and why.

The problem lies in the execution of the story, not in the intelligence level of the viewer. Obviously the little boy who said, "Mommy, there's the sith," has a pop culture understanding of what the Sith is, more so than most adults who just don't give a crap. In the movies, the Sith are explained only as the following:

1) Haven't been seen in 1000 years
    2) Are evil
    3) Only two there are
    4) Usually have Darth in front of their name, although Dooku in AOTC didn't really, and if you say he did, if I were to take only what I see in the movie (not the novelization) I would basically see that Dooku is Count Dooku, a former Jedi turned bad, who was called Lord Tyranus by Jango and Sidious. Still says crap about the Sith.

That's it, really. So what is a Sith? To really understand you have to read a bunch of Star Wars books to get it. You won't get it from these movies and the general public is not going to give a rats ass enough to find out for themselves, nor will they care because they've really yet to find something brilliant (in their rightfully understood opinion) in these prequels.

This may seem like I'm bashing the prequels, but I'm not. This is simply one of many problems with the prequels which is what causes dividing lines and confusion amongst regular viewers who are not fanboys and fangirls. The "movie-going public" as they say.

Just my thoughts. :cool:

9. Master_Zaraz

Master_Zaraz Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2005
    I would basically see that Dooku is Count Dooku, a former Jedi turned bad, who was called Lord Tyranus by Jango and Sidious. Still says crap about the Sith.

I could've sworn that he was called Darth Tyranus somewhere.

10. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    He was, by Jango and Sidious. That's exactly what Vegas said.

11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I could've sworn that he was called Darth Tyranus somewhere.

Sidious calls him "Lord Tyranus" at the end of AotC, but for all intents and purposes the audience knows him as Count Dooku throughout the films. Even in the RoTS opening crawl, the text refers to him as the "ruthless Sith Lord Count Dooku."

12. zillas_revenge2

zillas_revenge2 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    My friend, there are still people out there who think Star Wars takes place in Earth's future...

13. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    Only the illiterate.

14. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    We learn enough about the Sith from the movies: They have been in hiding for a very long time, there is always a master and an apprentice, they have a burning hatred for the Jedi, they are similar to the Jedi in almost every way, and that the Sith Arts closely resemble the Jedi Arts, except that the Sith desire to use the Force in twisted, unnatural ways. They are patient, deceptive, aggressive, cunning, treacherous, murderous, and have a knack for killing those they no longer have a use for. They're pretty much Jedi dopplegangers (sp?). That's all the audience really needs to know.

15. VictorVegas

VictorVegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2000
    I know nothing about the Sith except their a bunch of dirty git ****ers who wear bras on their heads.

Oh, and they come in twos.

16. Sima_Sith

Sima_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    when i was a kid, PT hasnt been made yet. people would call Darth Vader, Dark Vader. i would get so pissed! i was only like 6 or 7 too!

but yeah, the other day i was a my cousins, one of them asked the other "Who is your favorite sith?" they said "Umm, General Grevious" i said, no he isnt a sith, he cant use the force. he was trained in combat by dooku. they said but he works for the sith, i responded, that doesnt make you a sith...

idiots

17. DeathToDaDooku

DeathToDaDooku Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    lol i hate when people do that, only cause i'm a super nerd tho.:-B

18. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    Alot of people I know think all Dark Side users are Sith, that is like calling all swordsmen Samurai, though a lesser known fact is that there are two kinds of Sith, the Sith we all know and love to hate. (Palps, Vader, Tyrannus, Maul, Exar Kun, etc.) and a insectoid Sith species which has been excinct for thousands of years.

-The Scummy-

19. LukeGroundwalker

LukeGroundwalker Jedi Master star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    Exactlly! But not only does Sith use dark side powers, Dark Jedi use dark side powers also.

20. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    This is a failing of the audience. I've known Vader and the Emperor were Sith ever since the 80s, even though it was never actually stated in the original trilogy. But the casual fan doesn't really pick up on these details and so gets easily confused by the complicated backstory. I think that's one of the reasons the prequels have not been embraced as much by the general public as the OT. They're not movies where you can switch off your brain and still follow everything.

21. sword_of_raditz

sword_of_raditz Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2005
    A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, there were jedi. Some jedi became too greedy for power. They became Dark Jedis. Dark Jedis are evil Jedis. They are often surnamed Darth to show their ranks as Sith, supreme dark jedi. After the Sith wars, only small amounts of dark jedi existed. Over time, they gathered together in a master/apprentice group, and titled themselves the Sith of old. These 'Sith' are used to title any dark jedi in the time period of the TPM, because there were only two of them at a time. If Palpatine had successfully restored the Sith, then the title Sith would return to be used only be elite Dark Jedi, and dark jedi will be called, naturally, dark jedi. Since he failed, only the two existing 'sith' are called 'sith' because there is no other dark jedi to make 'sith' a difficultly obtainable title, hence they call themselves 'sith' to show the power that they think they have.

22. sword_of_raditz

sword_of_raditz Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2005
    I forgot to mention the insectoid sith species. the dark jedi intermingled with these, and the most powerful were called sith. Thats how sith was developed into a respectful rank.

23. LukeGroundwalker

LukeGroundwalker Jedi Master star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    I am sorry to tell you but Dark Jedi=/=Sith. The word "Darth" comes from a combination of Dark and Sith.

24. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    same here. yea nobody seems to know what a sith is, it is never mentioned in the OT, it is just soemthing lucas made up for the prequels, and i guess he didnt explain it good enoguh. I remember When hayden was on leno he had to explain to jay what a sith was.

25. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    Maul is actually an Iridonian (sp) Zabrak for those of you who wonder. (I used to think he was a human who had horns surgically implanted)

-The Scummy-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.