main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Look mommy! There's the sith!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Underdog511, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sword_of_raditz

sword_of_raditz Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2005
    MAUL ISNT HUMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    ... No one said he was.

-The Scummy-

3. DeathToDaDooku

DeathToDaDooku Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    i think that he did that out of surprise.

4. -RebelScum-

Feb 21, 2004
    Oh.

-The Scummy-

5. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Wrong. The term Sith was used in Lucas's early drafts of ANH, as well as the original novelisation of that film.

6. kittenmommy

kittenmommy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2001
    DarthHomer: Wrong. The term Sith was used in Lucas's early drafts of ANH, as well as the original novelisation of that film.

Yep. Here's how we first "meet" Vader in the novelization:

Two meters tall. Bipedal. Flowing black robes trailing from the figure and a face forever masked by a functional if bizarre black metal breath screen - a Dark Lord of the Sith was an awesome, threatening shape as it strode through the corridors of the rebel ship.

Fear followed in the footsteps of all of the Dark Lords. The cloud of evil which clung tight about this particular one was intense enough to cause hardened Imperial troops to back away, menacing enough to set them muttering nervously among themselves. Once-resolute rebel crewembers ceased resisting, broke and ran in panic at the sight of the black armor - armor which, though black as it was, was not nearly as dark as the thoughts drifting through the mind within.
    - George Lucas, Star Wars, pg. 8

Interesting, n'est-ce pa? Sort of makes you think that there are lots of Sith Lords lying around the Galaxy, doesn't it? Ah, just another GL retcon special! :rolleyes:

ETA: This novelization has been out since 1976, people. That's right - 1976. There is absolutely no excuse for not knowing this stuff.

Tongue planted firmly in cheek... ;)

7. -RebelScum-

Feb 21, 2004
    Not to mention Sith has been used in the EU since the early early 90s.

(Possibly earlier, I don't know if they used the term in Splinter of the Minds Eye or not, if so since the 80s)

-The Scummy-

8. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    It isn't necessary that the audience know what the Sith are when watching the OT, only that they understand the concept of The Force, and that it can be used for good or evil purposes. Even if the word "Sith" hadn't been mentioned in the PT, it would still convey the same messages. The audience doesn't need to read any novels, comics, or scripts, nor do they need to listen to any radio dramas, or play any videogames. Everything the audience needs to know about the movies is provided. If you need to read the novel in order to understand a movie, either the movie has failed, or you've just been hooked by a marketing machine.

9. DarthVegas

DarthVegas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    Well not really. The whole movie, Revenge of the Sith, was about just that. The Sith getting revenge. But why? For what? Why were the Sith so pissed off royally for thousands of years? Nobody knows or cares. We just know there can only be two and that they're pissed, and that they're really, really bad people.

So, uh, Anakin decides to join them to save Padme. Whoa, big plot point, except, who the hell are the Sith? Grevious? No, no, no, he's not a Sith. I know that because I'm a big Star Wars dork. But... uh... what about the "movie going public". They don't know. They see, evil robot who is Sith tries to do away with Kenobi cause he's Jedi.

I guess that's all they need to know, except, they're soooooo far off.

See what I mean? Sith is just a pop culture crapcon. A crapcon is like a poorly defined icon by the way, but I had to explain that cause it's the first time you heard that. Now you see what I mean?

That's why the mundanians are clueless.

10. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    To this day, I still have met people who dont know what a sith is.

sith happens!

11. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    That's ok, they don't really need to know what a Sith is, or what a Jedi or a lightsaber is. So long as they know who the good guys and the bad guys are, and that they understand the Force, everything else falls into place. It's like going to see Lord of the Rings if you haven't read the novels (which I hadn't). My friend was going on and on after the movie about the history of Sauron, and what kind of beings Saruman and Gandalf were, and how the Balrog came into existance, and what happened in the First Age blah blah blah... it doesn't matter, there's no quiz after the movie. Peter Jackson gave you everything you needed to know (unless you're one of these people that obsesses about backstory, like most EU fans are). Sauron is evil, that's all that's really important. Same with the Sith. When Maul said "at last we shall have revenge", we know he is talking about the guys in black, the bad guys. Palpatine could have said "once more the Dark Side will rule the galaxy, and we shall have peace", and it would still make sense.

12. Jon_Bon_Kenobi

Jon_Bon_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 2004
    The people who DONT know what a Sith is ARE morons! :rolleyes:

SW - THE PHANTOM MENACE
    ? Darth Sidious - "Not for a Sith. This is my apprentice Darth Maul, HE will find your lost ship"
    ? Nute Gunray - " Now there are two of them"

THAT confirms, through what Nute says that Sidious and Maul are Siths. THEN after being attacked by Darth Maul, who it has been established by the above conversation, is a Sith, Qui Gonn says:
    ? Qui Gonn Jinn - "My only conclusion can be that it was a Sith Lord"
    ? Ki Adi Mundi - "Impossible! The Sith have been extinct for a millenium"

THEN later, we AGAIN here that Maul and Sidious are Sith:
    ? Darth Sidious - "Im sending my apprentice, Darth Maul to join you"
    ? Nute Gunray - " A Sith? Here?"

THEN Yoda and Mace say:
    ? Mace - "...the mysterious warrior was a Sith"
    ? Yoda - "Always two there are. No more. No less. A master and an apprentice"

So in TPM it is TOTALLY established who the Sith are. It says:
    A. Who they are = Maul & Sidious.
    B. There are only ever two of them.
    C. That they want revenge on the Jedi.
    D. At the end only one has survived.

SW - ATTACK OF THE CLONES

Dooku - "What if I told you that the republic was under the control of the Dark Lord of the Sith"

Dooku tells us that the Sith are in charge of the Republic (Sidious). THEN Yoda tells us:
    Yoda - "Joined the Darkside Dooku has.

We see Dooku with Sidious at the end, hence, Dooku is a Sith. Then the OPENING CRAWL of ROTS says:
    "The Republic is crumbling under attacks from the ruthless Sith Lord Count Dooku"

So my message to all those people who dont know who the Sith are or what they want by the time they are watching Revenge of the Sith is this:
    YOU ARE MORONS!

[face_not_talking]

13. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    On a sunny day in September 2001 five year old girl from my kindergarden group did actually paint her face in a Darth Maul style and went jumping arround in the grouproom. :mad: Some of the other kids did enjoy themselves very much by her strange preformance and started also to paint their faces.[face_batting] They asked me if they could run outside. They wanted to roll arround in the grass and pretend to be fighting a bit without hurting each other. My fellow teacher was a bit bewildered by their behavoir and I had to explain her what the kids was doing. It took me a while. [face_not_talking] Then my college did ask me: "But this has nothing to do with Maria Montessori or Mater Magerete Schörl paeadagogics?" - "Ah, well it is George Lucas and his idears are part of their daily life. When they need to express themselves in such a role play, why not? They even took precautions not to hurt another." When the mother came to pick up her daughter later on she said: "I was allowed to be a Sith lord the whole afternoon. But I did not hurt anybody. Miss x took care of it." And the mother was simply grateful to me for allowing such an experiment in my group. She also grew up with SW. A friend of mine said later that I would have been frozen into Carbonite if it had been a Waldorf Kindergarden. I think nobody really comes arround to know what a sith is... even though he is not a SW fan like my fellow teacher.

14. Tion_Meddon

Tion_Meddon Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004

At least they understand the Sith are the bad guys!

I've heard somebody say Obi-wan and Luke are Sith, but not the "little green guy", because he's not "super" enough.

[face_plain]

15. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    When I would have explained that Sith Lords are bad guys, my fellow teacher would have died with a heart attack. So I told her the truth... from a particular point of view. [face_whistling]

16. TomPiltoff

TomPiltoff Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    I consider a Sith to be someone who uses the Dark Side on a regular basis.

Of course, the EU defines it as a Dark Sider who uses a special dark magic, but there's absolutely no hint of anything of that nature in the movies.

17. Loopster

Loopster Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    I know people who still refer to Vader as Dark Vader, after nearly 30 years.

People are dumb. The end.

18. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Back in 1977 the Blue Series Star Wars Trading Cards (Topps) referred to Darth Vader as "Dark Lord of the Sith". There was no further explaination of this, but it was already there; this was clearly before Lucas had developed the entire OT plot, let alone the PT, but it is apparent that he clearly had already worked out that the Sith were the evil darkside force users.

19. Anapad Nabooine

Anapad Nabooine Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2005
    Is there a name for Force-users who are not Jedi but not evil like the Sith?

20. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    totally agree with this, the prequels instead of explaining things really have confused people, hence why there are so many posts devoted to it

21. Mandalorian-Jedi

Mandalorian-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005
  22. jedimasterinu

jedimasterinu Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 29, 2005

Grey Jedi

23. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    All you need to say to anyone who's confused is: A Sith is a bad guy with Jedi powers.
    You don't need to go into any details, because the necessary details will be learned from the movies.

Details - they're in the movies
    /LM

24. R4P17DC

R4P17DC Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    There's alot of strange "wanna-be-fans" that I know.

One of my friends finally realized, after I told him, that Darth Vader was Anakin Skywalker.

My little cousin, while for the first tame watching Star Wars Clone Wars (20), pointed to Shaak Ti, and said, "It's Queen Amidala!"

Many refer in AOTC questions to 'Senator' Amidala, as 'Queen' or 'Princess'.

And on Star Tours, when a little kid asked, "Who's that?", the dad answered, "Captain Rex." I laughed, and murmured "Captain RX-24," even though 'Rex' was technically true.
    And for my age, I felt bad that he didn't know his real name.

I feel bad for being a Star Wars fan, young, and knowing more than normal adults who 'think' they know it all. The odds of someone my age knowing that much are 3,720 to 1. Or maybe 725 to 1, but who could know.

25. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Yes, and my 7 year old son is still a little shakey that Palpatine is actually
    Sidious. Instead of criticizing, because most kids don't get all the details
    on the first viewing and most parents aren't plot Nazis, try rejoicing
    the fact that zeal for SW is being passed on from parent to child,
    and another generation shares in the myth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.