main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Look what I've bit off

Discussion in 'Archive: Tulsa, OK' started by Forceofvader, Aug 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forceofvader

Forceofvader Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2000
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=8505509&replies=12

Wanna help??

2. GENERAL_FEL

GENERAL_FEL Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2001
    Whew! Better you than me, brother!

I envy / don't envy you at the same time, ya know?

I would love to plan and coordinate a GINORMOUS Star Wars event, but with work and school AND your current residential status I just don't have the time. What does your current residential status have to do with it? There's no way on earth that I would attempt to do something like this without BDK in the hizzouw! :cool: F'sho'

3. Shadoe42

Shadoe42 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    Good luck. Opening it up to the cross genre is a good idea. Trek con here is hurt for the fact that they focus I think. Once Defcon gets going again TrekExpo will be forced to change I think.
    and I for one find it boring to walk from table to table and see the same dang merchandise at each one.

I will of course help if I can but given the distance not much I expect I can do.

4. gw2tulsa

gw2tulsa Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    Heh, I'm hoping that once Defcon gets going again TrekExpo will cease to exist... Call me an optimist...

-Gary

5. Forceofvader

Forceofvader Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2000
    Hey I'm sure I could use your help. Trust me I will be getting in touch with ya'll.

6. talltrees

talltrees Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 14, 2002
    Well, good luck BDK. I think you are going to need it. At least it sounds like you have support there. Keep us posted.

Ice Queen

7. Shadoe42

Aug 30, 2001
    I doubt TrekExpo will cease to exist. Defcon and TrekExpo co-existed before and I am sure they will again. I just wish TrekExpo would expand beyond Trek. There is plenty of room in the expo building itself...not like anything is going on at that time anyway

8. MysticTrunks01

MysticTrunks01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2002
    I'm amazed that they keep the same structure year after year and never expand. It's like the booths are the same and the stage is the same every year. Cant they get more people to set up booths or something? Heck the one next to ours was not even used (the boys home, which was sad) Like Ed said, you can only walk through the same booth with the same stuff as the one next to it so many times.

9. Shadoe42

Aug 30, 2001
    Thing is Trek Expo is actually getting worse. Seems every year the vendor area shrinks a little bit..which for an already non varied room still stinks. And the stage....grr...last year and in previous years...As stars came onto the stage they had the theme music from whatever movie or TV show they were in playing. It actually added quite a bit as there are always those guys you go..hey where are they from oh...that show...based on the music. Very few stars got music this year. And it isn't like SB21 doesn't already HAVE most if not all of those themes. And if not then they are not hard to get. Inconsistant pricing for autographs sucks to...for instance one star there this year was charging 30 bucks a shot...hehe now there are a few actors I would be willing to pay 30 bucks for but :) ....meanwhile Magel Barret Rodenbery... 5 bucks if you had a pic already.. 7.50 for one of hers. Most were 20 bucks and the ones I got I was more than glad to pay them. But man..a little consistancy would be great. Now don;t get me wrong I am not blasting MBR for charging 7.50 :) I think she still has a wonderful love of Gene's vision and does what she can to further that vision and not what Star Trek has become after his death.

BUT getting back to the subject at hand. TrekExpo needs to shake things up a bit. Get bigger .. or at least bring in a variety of vendors. And given my own personal bias I would love to seem more gaming get involved. But that would require they expand the con to include more than just Trek as the main theme. Which is why I have high hopes for Defcon. Even though I am trying not to :) I still remember the two defcon's I got to go to before they ended and both were much better all around cons than TrekExpo every thought about being. Not to mention that I got to spend an hour talking with one of my favorite authors one year before the con opened. So that probably colors my opinion some.

Whew and that totally went places I never intended :)

10. gw2tulsa

gw2tulsa Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    You just about nailed every criticm of TE that I have. I was there four or five years ago and the Vendors area was HUGE. I think part of TE problem is that they charge $700 a table set or something like that - its insanely high. With those prices, people are just not setting up...

The autograph thing pissed me off as well this year. Even if they aren't going to keep the pricing consistent - AT LEAST post the pricing somewhere visible so people at least KNOW a little before hand...

-Gary

11. MysticTrunks01

MysticTrunks01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2002
    Jerome was da man. If they had more folks like him that TE would be alot more fun too. You know, people that have a life outside thier parents basement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.