main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Looking for a Jedi robes creator I met four years ago

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by CieSharp, Apr 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    Four years ago, I dealt with "Wookiee Cantina" and got some very nice robes, but then they had to change their name due to licensing issues (the word "Wookiee" I suppose). The robes were really good, but right after I got them, I had a serious illness followed by a death in the family that took up a lot of my time, so now I can't find them anymore. I have other friends that might want to use them, anyone remember "Wookiee Cantina"?

2. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    I've never heard of that manufacturer, and I'm sad to say they probably aren't around anymore. Over the last several years, Lucasfilm Licensing has shut down every unlicensed manufacturer they could. :(
    Now, if you look around hard enough, it is still possible to find people that make quality Jedi robes. Unfortunately, it's against forum policies for people here to post those sites, otherwise LFL would find them and shut them down, too. :(

3. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    As far as I know, the only people who were actually shut down by LFL were Gerardo Fallano and WhiteBodyArmor.Com.

Plenty of other folks have left the business because they were scared by what happened, or have had personal problems that have made it necessary to close their business (i.e. Katarra Creations), but the above two are the only ones that I know of who have actually been shut down by LFL via Cease and Desist or lawsuit.

4. davenwjedi

davenwjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2002
    Marco Ent. was shut down some time ago... they did replica props... not costumes....i believe Marco was also on the verge of being taken to court by paramount as well....

damn, i should dig out some of those old Marco catalogs !!

NWJEDI
    dave

5. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    WhiteBodyArmor.Com is also known as Galaxy Trading, and I think they had another name before that. But they do mostly armor/prop related stuffs.

6. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    Thanks for the information, everybody. I wasn't aware that by asking and getting a definitive answer, I may be endangering somebody's business if LFL wants to go after them. That's something I'd never want to do. But I think I know what to do now, thanks for the help!

7. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Wookie Cantina is/was Galaxy Trading.

8. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Well, amongst the known "casualties" of LFL's "purge" were these well-known businesses (well-known in costuming and prop collecting circles, anyway):
    • KnightRobes.Com (Makers of Jedi and Sith outfits)
    • Larbel Plasma Blade/Larry Leung (Hong Kong based manufacturer of some of the best lightsaber replicas around. Rumored to now be affiliated with/employed by Master Replicas)
    • DH Studios in the UK (Another manufacturer of movie lightsaber repros, who has stopped making movie replicas after receiving a C&D order from Lucasfilm Legal)
    • Roman's Empire (yet another lightsaber manufacturer who stopped making movie prop repros after receiving a letter from LFL.)
    And I'm sure there's others that I don't know by name. [face_plain]
    Many more have been driven "underground", unable to sell their wares online through traditional methods such as a website with a shopping cart, now having to resort to methods such as selling exclusively through eBay, or through private deals. [face_plain]
    But, of course, we don't encourage such behavior, since they're violating Lucasfilm copyrights and trademarks, and that's wrong! ;)

9. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Pity the good ones get shut down while the bad continue to sell their wares.

Just IMHO, I wish someone get the C&D too. But his company is way in South East Asia and he keep using a new username at eBay. [face_plain]

Just IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.