main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Looking for a quote

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by ben_07, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ben_07

ben_07 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    H, I'm looking for a quote from the time of EPisode 1, probably from George Lucas or Rick McCallum. It said something like Palpatine is Sidious, the same man in different clothes, but I don't know where to find it, can you help? Thank you!

strilo edit: Well the author got an answer to his question, this web site as a source, here is good enough for me. This thread has become too much of a battle between individuals complete with a few mild flames. As the original question has been answered, I think we're done here.

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    ""Darth Sidious is Senator Palpatine in different clothes. No clones, no twins, nothing like that."
    --Rick McCallum

... who loves you!

3. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    Whoa, he really said that? I hadn't heard that one before. Was there a big reaction when he first said it?

4. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    "Darth Sidious is Senator Palpatine in different clothes. No clones, no twins, nothing like that."
    --Rick McCallum

There are no swear words in that sentance so it couldn't possibly have been said by McCallum.

5. SONOFJANGO

SONOFJANGO Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2002
    If you watch the TPM DVD with commentary on, around 9 minutes into the movie, its when we first see the Sidious hologram, GL says something that seals the deal that Sidious/Palpatine are the same. I can't remember what he says exactly because I don't really watch it with commentary on all the time. But he definitely says something that is different from the line provided a few posts up.

6. ben_07

ben_07 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Thanks! But can you also tell me the source, where and when? Thank you!

7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Well Adam got the main one, but here's some more you can use:

"This idea of a democracy being given up and in many cases being given up in a time of crisis, you see it throughout history whether it's Julius Caesar, or Napoleon, or Adolf Hitler, you see these democracies under a lot of pressure, in a crisis situation, who end up giving up a lot of the freedoms they have and a lot of the checks and balances to somebody with a strong authority to help get them through the crisis. It's not the first time a politician has created a war to try to stay in office."
    --George Lucas

"We do reveal that Dooku is Darth Tyranus, he's a Sith Lord, and that he's in league with Darth Sidious and Darth Sidious is pulling all the strings and everything is going just the way he wants them to go. The Emperor continues to pull the strings."
    --George Lucas

"One of thematic issues here is how Palpatine becomes Chancellor. Telling how he moved to the next level, and then when you see all of the films together it will all make a lot more sense. But this is kind of a very small thematic issue that transcends all six movies as opposed to something that's actually neatly tied up in this particular movie alone. Step one is that Palpatine becomes Chancellor, and you'll see in Episode II that he then makes another step (Emergency Powers), and in Episode III he makes another step (Emperor)."
    --George Lucas

"Well, Tarkin was basically a small time politician who was a governor of a small Outland Region sector until he became one of the first supporters of Palpatine. As a result of his ties with Palpatine, Tarkin steadily moved up the "political ladder" during Palpatine's climb up the political ranks, which culminates in Palpatine becoming Emperor."
    --George Lucas

"I also wanted to bring Palpatine back. I really wanted to finish that story. I really wanted to have this moment where he tells Anakin that going to be paying more attention to him in the future."
    --George Lucas

"Although the relationship between Anakin and Palpatine doesn't really relate to this movie - it's more important to the next movie - I had to set that up because it was important in the overall arc of the story. So I wrote that little scene to show Palpatine's influence on Anakin and his role as a mentor."
    --George Lucas

"Here with Obi-Wan we get a little sense that Anakin has some relationship with Palpatine and that he likes Palpatine. In the last film we set up the fact that Palpatine was gonna watch after Anakin."
    --George Lucas

"A lot of fans don't understand that Palpatine has a dual identity. He is playing both sides for his own goals"
    --Jonathan Hales

"Darth Sidious is Senator Palpatine in different clothes. No clones, no twins, nothing like that. Some people don't get it. Some of them still believe that Padme and Amidala are two different persons."
    --Rick McCallum

"He's (Palpatine) not the Emperor yet, but he is a Sith Lord. He's also Darth Sidious. That's Ian in the robe."
    --Rick McCallum

8. Zelmo

Zelmo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 4, 2002
    "There are no swear words in that sentance so it couldn't possibly have been said by McCallum" -Slave2

LOL! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

9. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    "Palpatine and Sidious are the same ******* person."

I think that sounds more like McCallum. ;)

10. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Two FACTS:

1) Lucas has never said explicitly that they are the same.

2) The McCallum quote has not been verified by LFL or a legitimate news source.

Keep looking though. Maybe you'll be the one to find what everyone else has only imagined.

11. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Seriously, there are people who think they're diffrent?
    Why? How?

12. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    See above your post. Some people just want to be "different".....:: sigh ::

13. Psychotic_Sith

Psychotic_Sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Uhh... Emos...

"One of thematic issues here is how Palpatine becomes Chancellor. Telling how he moved to the next level, and then when you see all of the films together it will all make a lot more sense. But this is kind of a very small thematic issue that transcends all six movies as opposed to something that's actually neatly tied up in this particular movie alone. Step one is that Palpatine becomes Chancellor, and you'll see in Episode II that he then makes another step (Emergency Powers), and in Episode III he makes another step (Emperor)."
    --George Lucas

I fail to see what the next step could be if not Emperor. He has made two of his three steps, and the next and final step is that to Emperor. There is absolutely NO reason for a clone of Palpatine to be Sidious. Episode III already has enough sideplots with the Wookies, the twins, the end of the Clone Wars and it's various battles, the destruction of the Jedi order, Grievous, and Anakins fall to the Dark Side. To add yet another major development such as this would be overkill.

We will likely learn that Palpatine was born to a Senator or Queen or some kind of royallty on Naboo, discovered by a Sith Lord, trained, etc. No clones. There's no reason for it.

14. Emos-Edud

May 29, 2002
    Hey, guys, you are free to ASSUME what you will. But none of that is going to help ben_07 find the quote he is looking for.

ben_07 asked a legitimate question and so far, no one has been able to answer it. For some reason that is then taken as an excuse to go off topic, add nothing to the discussion and belittle me. Oh, well. At least my two on-topic facts posted above can not be debated.

So rather than waste time taking jabs at me or perpetuating your own unconfirmed assumptions, why don't you help ben_07 find the one quote that shows that Palpatine is was and always will be Sidious, that no clone was involved in his transition to power, etc.

Until that time, at least avoid putting words in Lucas's mouth and admit that all you have is assumption.

PS- And before this gets out of hand, please remember that this is not a P=S debate thread, so please stay on topic regarding a verified Lucas quote. If you can't help ben_07 then make his job easier and be quiet.

15. JustinPeeler

JustinPeeler Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2003
    Two FACTS:

1) Lucas has never said explicitly that they are the same.

2) The McCallum quote has not been verified by LFL or a legitimate news source.

Keep looking though. Maybe you'll be the one to find what everyone else has only imagined.

1.) Lucas has said it is Palpatine that becomes Emperor, and has said that Darth Sidious becomes Emperor.

P=E

S=E

Therefore P=S.

2.) The McCallum quote was confirmed by this website as being from the Prague premire of TPM.

16. Emos-Edud

May 29, 2002
    1) Peeler shows us that Lucas has never explicitly said P=S. He has provided distinct statements that can be used to make an assumption, but an assumption made by a listener is not the same thing as a statement made by a speaker. We are dealing with story-telling, not geometry, so A=B and B=C does not always mean that A=C. Even if it turns out to be true (A=C) Lucas has not yet said that. That is what ben_07 is asking for, a statement from Lucas that A=C.

2) This website is not an accredited news source.

17. vacantlook

vacantlook Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2004
    He has provided distinct statements that can be used to make an assumption, but an assumption made by a listener is not the same thing as a statement made by a speaker.

I submit that there is a significant difference between an assumption and a deduction. Hearing GL say that Palpatine is the Emperor and also say that Sidious is the Emperor, one can easily make a deduction that Palpatine and Sidious are the same person using two names.

18. Emos-Edud

May 29, 2002
    vacantlook,

I will respectfully submit that there is a significant difference between making a deduction and hearing a statement. Whether you call your belief an assumption or a deduction is a matter of opinion. However, your deduction, no matter how reasonable, is not the same thing as a simple sentence from Lucas stating the "obvious."

If you want to help ben_07 with his request, rather than argue that this widely assumed/deduced yet unconfirmed plot point should be exempt from the same requirements as any other (ie official spoiling without interpretation), you should be on the hunt for the Lucas quote that will save the day. I'm looking for it as well.

19. JustinPeeler

JustinPeeler Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2003
    I will respectfully submit that there is a significant difference between making a deduction and hearing a statement. Whether you call your belief an assumption or a deduction is a matter of opinion. However, your deduction, no matter how reasonable, is not the same thing as a simple sentence from Lucas stating the "obvious."

Deduction: The act or process of reasoning, esp. a logical method in which a conclusion necessarily follows from the propostions stated.

This is differen't from an

Assumption: A statment accepted as true without proof.

Palpatine equals Sidious is a deduction, then, because Lucas has stated that Sidious is the Emperor and has stated that Palpatine is the Emperor. Thus, one can deduce that Palpatine is the same person as Sidious.

Palpatine equals a clone is an assumption on your part. You accept it was the truth without any proof.

Assumption isn't the same as deduction my freind. They are in fact quite differen't.

If you want to help ben_07 with his request, rather than argue that this widely assumed/deduced yet unconfirmed plot point should be exempt from the same requirements as any other (ie official spoiling without interpretation), you should be on the hunt for the Lucas quote that will save the day. I'm looking for it as well.

Ben_07 asked for the McCallum quote, I provided a link. I'd call this site an accredited news source.

20. bburditt

bburditt Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 8, 2004
    Emos how can you still argue this? Peeler gave you the link where McCallum's quote was... ben's question was answered.

21. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    You don't need Lucas to tell you because I am willing to do it.

"Palpatine is Sidious" -Go-Mer-Tonic

22. Emos-Edud

May 29, 2002
    That's all well and good, but I still don't see a Lucas quote or a verified McCallum quote.

What's ben_07's take on all this?

---------------------------------
    Peeler, This thread is not about my asssumption. It is about ben_07's assumption. Please stay on topic. He asked for a particular statement. Find it.

--------------------------------
    bburdit, I still see that there is no quote. That is not arguable. Why? Reread my requirements.

1) It comes from Lucas or McCallum and is posted on an official LFL site or presented in an official LFL press release.

2) It comes from Lucas or McCallum and is presented by an accredited news source. TFN, as almost all fan sites, is not a real news organization and does not count.

23. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    A few thoughts on this subject.

1. The silver bullet...

"Darth Sidious is Senator Palpatine in different clothes. No clones, no twins, nothing like that. Some people don't get it. Some of them still believe that Padme and Amidala are two different persons."
    --Rick McCallum

This "silver bullet" to the theory that Palpatine is in fact Sidious was produced by TFN and has never appeared anywhere else. If anyone wants to prove me wrong and point out any official interview, book, magazine, whatever this came from besides TFN I would love to hear it.

2. Does anyone here believe that if you asked George before The Empire Strikes Back came out if Vader was Luke's father he would have said "Oh yes, you've got me damn, I wanted to surprise everyone but since someone asked I have to tell the truth and wreck the biggest surprise in the movie, please people.

3. Look at some of the other quotes and who they have come from, now I can't reveal spoilers for Episode 3 here, but let me just say that almost all involved in the above quotes have went 180 degrees more than a fe times, they are not to be trusted.

4. This is Star Wars, twists and shocks are part of the plot, Obi dying in ANH, Vader being Luke's Father, Leia being his sister, every movie has a shocker to some degree, some small, some large.

5. Watching TPM it's very clear to see that physically Palpatine and Sidious are portrayed differently, not just the cloak but the stature and the height.

24. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    The theory that Palpatine is a clone of Sidious is simply ridiculous. It ignores;
    -What the actor of the character, writers, director and producer have said about the character
    -What happens in the films
    -Logic.

Instead, it rests on a secret theory which, despite several years of allusion to the essay which explains everything, has never been posted. (How it's even supposed to fit into Episode III is another unanswered question...)

In short, it's a joke.

"Please join me in an effort to bring back serious posting to TFN"- indeed.

Still waiting for the "essay"...

25. Emos-Edud

May 29, 2002
    While you wait for my long promised essay, I wait for this long promised quote from Lucas. That seems fair. Oh, try to stay on topic. This thread is not to debate my belief, but to help ben_07 find his quote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.