main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Looking for Fics?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jeditheskyisblue, Jan 25, 2004.

1. aesop2021

aesop2021 Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2005
    im not looking for a certain fic, but im looking for jedi purge stories. anyone have any please link me or send.

2. Viola_Telcontar

Viola_Telcontar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 14, 2004
    @Pelranius
    Are you looking for this?

3. leandrastar2000

leandrastar2000 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 6, 2004
    Just wondering if anybody could tell me what happened to the old Fanfix.com sight. I loved that sight. Got away from it for a while though and when I tried to go back, it wasn't there anymore. Is it completely gone or is it out there somewhere under another name perhaps.

4. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I just found fanfix.com today. It shut down for some reason, I'm not sure why. Go to archive.org and in the archive serach engine for websites, type in www.fanfix.com. The June 20th, 2003 update was the last one, so click on it, and you'll get the site.

Or...here's the direct link, since I realized I still have that window open.

fanfix.com

5. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    I was just looking at that same archive yesterday, Alethia. :eek: [face_laugh] I'm glad that other people remember that site; :D I was really sad when it went down and I still wonder why it did. :confused:

6. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Yeah, I've been reading through the fics there. It took me several weeks to find that site- I used to visit it years ago (try four/five) and then forgot about it and then I remembered it a few weeks ago and have been scrambling to find it. And then, by luck, I found it today. I'm definitely thrilled. It's a great site and I hope that eventually it comes back (since I think it went down once before and then reappeared again).

And I hope the rest of you find those fics you're looking for. I'll keep an eye out for them.

7. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    Fanfix.com got shut down because the woman who ran the site vanished from her online life and the bills went unpaid... It's gone for good. Pity - there aren't a whole lot of sites that host the older (pre-TPM and non-zine) stuff...

There's a lot more in the archive.org link than I've found before, though... Get to go back and save some old favorites that I've lost track of. :)

8. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005

[b]aesop2021:[/b]
    I'm looking for jedi purge stories.[hr][/blockquote]Then you should check out this thread:

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Resource/b10304/16587026/p1]The Jedi Purges -- a Challenge[/link]

9. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    I'm so glad you found that, Alethia! I'm the same as you, I uesed to visit fanfix way back when (about the same time you did, actually, or just a little longer ago) That was back when you had to download a fic to read it... I drifted away from my favourite fandom for a while and when I went back to look for it, fanfix had dissappeared.

Right now, I'm furiously saving stories and reading through old favourites I had forgotten about... :) Thanks so much for posting hte link here!

10. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    That was back when you had to download a fic to read it... I drifted away from my favourite fandom for a while and when I went back to look for it, fanfix had dissappeared.

I remember having to download fics...

I left the SW fandom right after AOTC came out, because I hated A/P. It took seeing a few ROTS pics in a movie magazine in January to get me back into the fandom and a good friend and a fan fic to get me to like A/P. It's so weird being back in SW fan fic again. I think I might even have registered here in 2000/2001, but since early 2002 I've left the fandom and I have no clue what my earlier user name would have been, if I even had one (which I'm not clear on). It's amazing how the net changes- I remember fanfiction.net like it was in March 2000 and then you look at it now- it's totally different.

In that vein, anyone know any of the older fan fic sites from 2002 or before? I've started wondering about them all now...

And you're welcome for the link, pokey. I was so thrilled to find that again- I'm glad that someone else was also happy to see it. It's a shame that the owner disappeared, though. I wonder if someone offered to take it over, if she'd let them- because that site is too good to let disappear.

11. pokey1984

May 10, 2004
    I know what you mean. I, unfortunately, don't have any working URL's from 02 and before. I used to write my favourites down on index cards because I shared a computer back then and it was easier than trying to find them in a favourites list...

No, wait, I lied. Club Jade is "new and improved" now, but I remember from way back. Someone put this link, to their old fanfiction section up earlier in this thread.

I strayed from SW around '00. I transferred to a new High school and started driving and basically found a life. It wasn't until I graduated that I saw the error of my ways and came back... :) I've always used the same Username, but aside from this site, (which I wasn't familiar with back then) I don't think there were any others you could become a member of that are still around now. Most of them didn't start aquiring members until a little after that.

I don't know if Fanfix's owner would let someone take it over or not, but I'd love to see it happen. That was a wonderful site. I don't think it would be too difficult, since the site was saved, in it's entirety, by the archive. But, then, I'm not much good with that sort of thing...

12. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
    i still dont remember the name of the fic, i do remember parts of the ending though, about obi was in the hospital and got a visit from his mother, who told Qui-Gon the truth, and then the three of them, Obi, Qui, and Anakin walk out of the hospital arm in arm, something about the chosen one. i dont remember if i said that or not.

13. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    I used to write my favourites down on index cards because I shared a computer back then and it was easier than trying to find them in a favourites list...

So did I! I use to have about thirty little index cards with web addresses squeezed onto them. Most of them were from fanfiction.net, before they had the sort by publish/update date and you had to read through all the pages in alpahbetical order to find the fics that you liked. But I had some websites on them too. I think that my index cards still exist, but they're at my grandmother's house in Los Angeles and I happen to be sitting in Germany at the moment... makes getting a hold of them kind of hard to do.

. Club Jade is "new and improved" now, but I remember from way back. Someone put this link, to their old fanfiction section up earlier in this thread.

I'll check it out- thanks!

I strayed from SW around '00.

That's when I first discovered fan fic. Until I read the Harry Potter books in March 2000, I didn't spend much time on the internet. I'm sure I visited a few Star Wars sites before then, but fan fic wasn't something I was into until a Harry Potter site directed me to fanfiction.net and I fell in love with the idea...

And between 2000 and 2002 I strayed in and out. Some months SW fan fic was the best, and some months I preferred HP fan fic... But after 2001/2002, I strayed for good, until January. AOTC, in my opinon, was such a disappointment back then, but now I find it better.

I've always used the same Username, but aside from this site, (which I wasn't familiar with back then) I don't think there were any others you could become a member of that are still around now.

The thing is I think I remember this site, from way back when. But I'm not sure. And I go through usernames so fast... I have at the moment ten different user names for different sites and I know that back then I had totally different ones, so it's pretty much impossible to think of what username I would have had, had I had one (which I'm not sure of...)

But yeah, the craze back then wasn't for registering. I mean, it was 2000 and all, but the internet was still so different from what it is now. Five years definitely makes a difference.

I don't know if Fanfix's owner would let someone take it over or not, but I'd love to see it happen. That was a wonderful site. I don't think it would be too difficult, since the site was saved, in it's entirety, by the archive. But, then, I'm not much good with that sort of thing...

Neither am I, though I wish someone would. At least we have that site in the archives now, but I'd still like to see it updated. It's so funny to go back now and read these fics that were written before TPM came out... Some of them are amazingly accurate... at least in some ways.

i still dont remember the name of the fic, i do remember parts of the ending though, about obi was in the hospital and got a visit from his mother, who told Qui-Gon the truth, and then the three of them, Obi, Qui, and Anakin walk out of the hospital arm in arm, something about the chosen one. i dont remember if i said that or not.

If someone finds it, I wouldn't mind reading it... And I'll keep an eye out for it. Any idea of what it was rated? Sometimes at fanfiction.net, it's easier to single out fics by rating and genre and character...

14. pokey1984

May 10, 2004
    I've been looking for JediAngela's fic for a while now, I have to say that it never occured to me to sort by rating... I tried sorting by main character and that was a waste of time, it limited my results too much. I'll have to try by rating, thanks for the idea... I know it's pg or lower cause it was posted here too.

This is killing me because I know I've read that...

15. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    I'll have to try by rating, thanks for the idea... I know it's pg or lower cause it was posted here too.
    /i]

Welcome. Not all authors put in the two main charaters (though I always do), so sorting by character leaves stuff out. But everyone has to put in a rating, so that usually narrows it down a lot.

Though you might want to be careful, some authors post one verstion of the fic here and then another version at fanfiction.net with another rating... I've come across fics edited for content here that I've read unedited at ff.net- but you're probably right. At least going through X amount of PG pages is a lot easier than going through 120? pages rated G-R...

16. pokey1984

May 10, 2004
    I'm starting to think that Jediangela's fic has been taken down, for whatever reason. I've been through so many stories and I know it was pretty far back... I've gone through exactly half the FFN pages now, starting at oldest and working my way forward. I still can't find it...

Here's a thought: "Hey! If you are th author of this fic, drop us a line, will ya?" :D

17. Viola_Telcontar

Viola_Telcontar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 14, 2004
    I've spent a lot of time searching through ff.net, too. But I focused on google... It HAS to be somewhere!
    I found some amazing stories while hunting, so I got rewarded anyway.

There was only that moment when I thought I had the right story and started to read, only to realize that I stumbled over a Qui/Obi fic... *shudder* [face_sick]
    Don't get me wrong, it was well written, but... *shudder*... NO!!! [face_sick] Next time a warning, PLEASE!
    Now, I'm glad these things are not allowed here.

I only found "change of hearts" on ff.net because I remembered the stories I read at the same time and so I was able to narrow down the search quite a lot.
    pokey1984's method will work out eventually... hopefully...

Noone found one of those other stories?

18. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Unfortunately, no. But I've found some other good ones just by choosing a random page at fanfiction.net

Does any idea have an idea of what month/year it might have been updated/published on? Searching for things when you have a semi-idea of when to look makes it always easier.

Since it was also theoretically posted in the Classics Forum, has anyone checked out the Classics Index? I never read the fic so I am unfamiliar with it. But someone who actually remembers it slightly could go through the fics there and look...

And everyone's sure it's not on fanfix? Just occured to me that it could be there, since it's old enough.

19. pokey1984

May 10, 2004
    I"m not positive, but you can call it ninety percent sure that it's not at fanfix. I've been all through that site the last couple of days. good idea, though. :)

20. JediANGELA

Sep 28, 2002
    yea, its defintly not at fanfix.com. Come to think of it, im almost 100% sure that I saw it at fanfiction.net

21. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Do you remember the last time you saw it? Around what month or year? Because that could help...

*sigh* It's got to be out there somewhere. And it was written after 1999, because that's when TPM came out and the fic involves Qui Gon... so even if you have to go through every page at fanfiction.net, at least you don't have to go through the earliest ones...

22. JediANGELA

Sep 28, 2002
    I really dont, Im sorry. I know it was after the time they allowed chapter stories, and i know it was one of the earliest ones there.

23. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    After they switched to chaptered stories...let me think, I remember a few of my friends being really annoyed at that, afraid that they were going to loose reviews and everything. So that would have been around..2001? I think... Hmm, I'll have to go look it up. And do you remember if it was first published then? Or if it was just an update to make it into a chapter story?

24. JediANGELA

Sep 28, 2002
    i dont know. i think it was published one day, and updated two days later, or something like that.

25. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Okay, maybe you folks can help me out...

I'm looking for a fic I read years ago for a friend. It starts with Luke in his X-Wing (post-ROTJ). The ship has a malfunction, something happens, Luke ends up near dead. He ends up in the 'Jedi afterlife' and is met by his father. Turns out in the afterlife the dead Jedi are near to being attacked by the dead Sith. Anakin and Obi-Wan are two of the main leaders of the Jedi forces. I think that the Jedi must prevent the Sith from breaking through, because if they don't, the Sith will be able to reenter reality (come back from the dead somehow).

I'm pretty sure I first read it on fanfiction.net, and can't recall if I ever saw it here. Any help would be great. Thanks,

Shaindl