main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Looking for general information on Kuat

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dewback_rancher, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    This one might be a bit of a tall order, given how sparse Kuat's actual appearances are, but... can I ask some people who actually have access to the sourcebooks and more of the older Bantam-era material that features the prestigious Core world to help me track down just general information on Kuat itself, the general ecosystem, Kuati society and culture, the general kind of architecture, any information on Kuat City or Kuat Drive Yards or the Kuat System/Sector in general?

I mean, let's face it- the Wook articles on the subjects:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kuat
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kuat_City
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kuat_system
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kuat_sector
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kuati

just leave a LOT to be desired, especially for anyone, like me, interested in Kuat as a planet and culture. I mean, it's rather hard to RP as a character with a Kuati background with such sparse information available to me, and I was hoping I could avail myself of the valuable resource known as the more knowledgeable folks around here! [face_peace]

I hope this isn't something that should go in the Atlas/Cartography topic, as it's a lot more narrow in scope (focusing as it does solely on the Kuati perspective). If it does, I'll gladly ask over there- it's just that my budget doesn't really permit me to track down most of the reference material that has the kind of information I'm looking for. [face_blush]

2. Taral-DLOS

Taral-DLOS Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2009
    Unfortunately, I think those Wookieepedia articles are rather complete. Kuat is fairly seldom used in the EU, although it is thoroughly referenced. But if its for RP purposes you can probably assume a fair amount.

For example, all we really see of Kuat are the aristocrats (Kuat of Kuat, Viqi Shesh, etc.) But there are also millions of engineers and shipbuilders. Compare a lot of them say to some poorer parts of the UK? Working hard in the shipyards, breaking your back (metaphorically) for low/moderate pay, getting to unwind at the pub, etc.

But unfortunately, I think everything official we've seen is what's in those Wookieepedia articles, unless you also want to read the articles on specific Kuatis. Try http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Kuati

3. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    I'll reread them all, then. Thanks for the quick answer, at least! [face_peace]

4. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Have you checked out Coruscant and the Core Worlds? It's got very thorough profiles of planets, including history, people, culture, and locations; Kuat's one of them.

5. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    I'll definitely have to put it on my birthday list this year. Thanks for the recommendation!

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Kuat Sector, unfortunately, has little but the occasional statement - however, an old WEG product - Platt's Starport Guide - has some information about the region during the Rebellion Era.

7. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    I'll have to add that to the list as well! Thanks! [face_peace]

8. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble has a scene where two Rebel pilots impersonate a wealthy female Kuati and her male telbun. It gives you a good picture into how Kuati society operates.

Kuat is also featured in the original Guide to Planets and Moons, but not as in much detail as Coruscant and the Core Worlds. Plus, I don't think any book or guide really gives a clue to the type of architecture the Kuatis favor.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Basically, if you're a Kauti from Kuat, just say "Kuat." A lot.

This will disguise the fact that you don't know squat about Quat. I mean, Kuat.

10. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    Platt's Starport Guide has a lot about the star ship docks and a bunch about the planet. I don't have the book on me, but it's the best Kuat thing you'll read.

Also obligatory Kuat of Kuat.

11. LordDarthPaxis

LordDarthPaxis Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 23, 2010
    Ok, I've tried to put as much information together for you, which should hopefully be of some small use to you.

- Kuati society is mostly patriarchal, but this obviously doesn't seem to be a wholly encompassing facet of society. For example Kuat of Kuat was the male head of KDY, and the Republic Senator Giddean Danu were male. However it is important to note that Giddean was appointed by the female Onara Kuat and we don't know if she had any female heirs to take over. On the notion of matriarchy it is probable that we could compare it to an inverse version of modern real world society, in which although there is now much more equality there is still a certain male dominated slant in certains fields such as the corporate world or politics.

- Kuati naming conventions typically tend to depict names as Name OF Name. i.e. Kuat of Kuat, Kodir of Kuhlvult, Khoss of Kynlenn. However there are a number of exceptions to this rule. I presume that the use of the word of in a name signifies a membership in an important aristocratic family, namely the Ten.

- As Captain Nalgol of the Empire shows, Kuati aristocrats often use poison rings to assassinate political rivals discretely, indicating some factionalism amongst the Ten and the other lower aristocrats.

- Han Solo mantions a Kuati stereotype of the Kuati having no character. Due to their highly aristocratic nature it makes sense that they display little emotion apart from refined condescension.

- I would recommend the Wookiee page on telbuns. It provides a much broader insight into the Kuati aristocracy (and their limited gene pool) as well as the role of the lower class in relationship to the aristocracy. i.e. People can be purchased as property.

Basically all information on the Kuati is centred around the aristocracy so if you play a rogue rember of their class or something similar you should be able to get enough info. If not your only real possibility is to study the telbnun. I hope this helps.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy has quite a few Kuati scenes. If you haven't read it you might want to check it out.

13. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'll put the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy on the list with Coruscant and the Core Worlds and Platt's Starport Guide. Only got to peruse that a few times before my local library sold them, like, ten years ago, so I don't even remember the Kuat scenes... thanks for reminding me about that!

See, THIS is one of the big reasons I love these boards so much- they're such a wonderful research resource! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.