main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Looking for good film locations.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by NightBlade87, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NightBlade87

NightBlade87 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2006
    well, its almost time to shoot our film and we're looking for a good location to film it. We've come across some locations which seem pretty decent for what were trying to do. But since this is our first time I was wondering if anyone had some pointers or tips that we may have overlooked, what sorts of things should we look out for, what might cause problems, what are good things to look for.

we're pretty much shooting your typical saber fight scene, no real plot, no storyline, just an intense scene of a lightsaber action. Its going to be outdoors, so we've been scouting out parks and other secluded areas we have access to. Any information or words of advice would be great. we plan to shoot it next weekend.

2. Whiteley79

Whiteley79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Well, you want an intense scene of lightsaber fighting, so Try to find someplace that feels 'intense' to you. Try to have the scenery reflect the mood you want the audience to feel.

3. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    But since this is our first time I was wondering if anyone had some pointers or tips that we may have overlooked

uhm... try it in the bed? [face_dancing]

Seriously. If you want to do it outside use a significant location. Try out a place with an old bunker or other ruins.

4. NightBlade87

May 13, 2006
    well its going to be in a sort of secluded area in the woods, I guess kind of like "art of the saber" best I can describe it.

but what sorts or technical issues should I watch out for? like the lighting or certain backrounds anything around that nature? colors? good types of terrain?

5. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    If you've already worked out your fight and are just looking for a place to do it, you should probably try to match the terrain of your "pratice" location as much as possible.

6. Kaurotu

Kaurotu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2006
    If you lived in northern Illinois I'd let you use my woods. That's where my friends and I are shooting our film.

7. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    One interesting place I'm suprised no one has used for filming is a cave. You can shoot in an underground cave, if you have lighting equipment, and it will look neat I bet.

8. AzerNik

AzerNik Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Uhm, Revelations if I'm not mistaken.

9. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    I believe that is correct.

*sigh* Forests are not intense. They are extreme cliche.

From what part of the world do you hail Mr. NightBlade87? The name of the city where you live would be great. No need for home addresses or e-stalker stuff though.

10. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Granite quarries are teh badass, if you're near 'em.

11. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    What makes the forest a cliche is the fact that most fanfilmers simply see it as "a 360° background shaded in green and brown". they place the camera just anyway and have their actors walk around in it.

For me, it takes a lot more than that. Especially in the forest you have to have good photographic skills to give the audience a sense of the place. It's also about the lighting. Perhaps you want to use articifial smoke to add something to your forest scene. Even in the forest - you must put the camera in the best possible position.

12. darth_Boba

Aug 28, 2002
    That may be true, but since this is probably this guy's first Star Wars fanfilm and seems to be just a lightsaber fight, I think a forest would be fine (especially for a first-time fanfilmer who probably doesn't have the resources to do something totally new). If it's a Ryan Vs Dorkman type of fight, where it's just two guys with lightsabers, then location doesn't matter as much, and a forest should be fine. And if it is supposed to actually be within the Star Wars universe, with costumes and the like, then a forest is often the easiest and least expensive option that doesn't automatically give away the location.

If it's a cliche, that's because a lot of people have done it. And if a lot of people have done it, that's because it works.

13. bgii_2000

Jan 21, 2005
    There's a mountain and a forest in my backyard.

I used the mountain. It was cool, and it was free. And it wasn't a forest.

EDIT: Darth_Boba, Mr. 87 didn't say, "This is my first film and I don't really care what it looks like." He said, "This is my first film. What are some good locations to use?"

So that's kinda the point of this thread.

14. darth_Boba

Aug 28, 2002
    I know, but it's just a little tiring that a lot of people aren't going to watch a fanfilm, or say that one sucks based only on a forest location.

15. bgii_2000

Jan 21, 2005
    No, every amatuer director has access to many locations besides a forest. Forests are just the easy way out. Being an amatuer means you don't get paid for what you do. It doesn't give one license to be lazy.

16. darth_Boba

Aug 28, 2002
    Not every amateur director. Let's say a 14 year old kid gets a camera and some editing/effects software for his birthday and decides he wants to do a Star Wars fanfilm with his friends for fun during the summer. Let's assume that he lives close to a large park with a lot of trees. Essentially a forest. Now, would you tell him that because he doesn't have the time, money, or resources to go out to a desert or some other "non-cliche" location that he's lazy and should do better, or would you say that he use what he has at hand so he and his friends can have a fun time making a Star Wars movie?

17. bgii_2000

Jan 21, 2005
    *sigh* again.

I refuse to believe that a "forest" is the ONLY "free" location availible to anyone. It's just the easiest. I'm not gonna argue with you any more on this until NightBlade87 tells us where he lives. Once I can make an informed statement on the subject, we shall again have words.

Bgii_2000

18. NightBlade87

May 13, 2006
    I'm from good ol rochester NY. :)

and yes it is just a lightsaber fight with two regular guys a lot like RvD, thats pretty much where I got my inspiration. casual cloths, not really set in the SW universe.

our area is suburbs U.S.A. however farm lands and the great city of rochester is not so far away.

I'd really like to know some technical stuff like, how will the sabers show up against the "green" "flora" backround, will the randomness of light being concealed and then at other times coming through the trees effect anything? do I want a spot with high points near by for overlooking shots, or a level ground to be easier for a tripod? This is all being done with one camera man, using a panasonic PV-GS300 camcorder.

19. darth_Boba

Aug 28, 2002
    All right, then the "not-earth" location isn't important. Well, the green really depends on what color your blades are pre-rotoscoping. If they're green, then you might have a hard time seeing them to add the effect later. But, if they're neon orange or something, you should be fine.

As for locations themselves, I'm not too familiar with the Rochester area, but it's not too far from Niagra falls, if I remember correctly. Of course, it would probably be difficult to get permission to film a fight there, but it could be pretty interesting.

If you're worried about lighting conditions, you might want to try scouting out alleys in the city. They would give you a good grungy look for a fight, and are usually unused.

Really though, it mostly has to do with your own taste and what kind of fight you're doing.

20. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Sorry, I haven't seen it.

21. bgii_2000

Jan 21, 2005
    Neither have I, but I did see the final battle, which takes place in a cave.

I seem to have been mislead by the title of your thread, and it sounds like you're already commited to your location (wherever it might be). But I thought I'd still make my point anyway.

Locations availible to you in addition to your run-of-the-mill forest.

Duran Eastman Park - Forest with a lake.
    High falls - Forest with cool cliffs.
    Highland Park - Interesting terrain and interesting flora.
    Hemlock Lake - Cool water.

Now, on to what you were actually asking:

As far as saber color goes, the only thing that really kills the look is the highlights in the frame. So if you're shooting into the sun, you're not gonna get a very good result (see below.)

[image=http://www.thebradplace.net/Temp_tfn_pix/LSEX1.jpg] The "lightsaber" shows up great in this picture because it hasn't been comp'd in on top of a big highlight like the late-afternoon sky.

[image=http://www.thebradplace.net/Temp_tfn_pix/LSEX2.jpg]
    See how the definition is lost as soon as blade crosses the horizon? This is what you want to watch out for.

Now don't take this wrong and go trying to shoot around the sky. Just be conscious of it, and don't shoot directly into the sun.

As far as terrain goes, that's pretty much up to you. Use what you've got. If there are high places, throw in a "crane" shot or two. If you have nice smooth terrain, use a nice dolly shot somewhere.

22. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    It doesn't kill the look. It's what light DOES. Of course, if you've only got a white background then you're going to have a hell of a time rotoing and it won't be as exciting, but going over the sky every once in a while isn't a bad thing.

23. NightBlade87

May 13, 2006
    very good information, I'll keep that in mind, very much appreciated.

24. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    You will want to colorize your saber props red or pink. They need to be a contrast to the green background.

25. Oreckel

Oreckel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    And it doesn't hurt to scout out locations at different times of the day to see what the sun does. Particularly in forests, you can get some strange shadow formations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.