main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Looking For Military SciFi

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Panther50, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Hi I looking for good military Sci Fi stories to read, but there are so many series about. I was wondering if anyone had opinions on what are the best ones to look out for.

2. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    Starship Troopers is an obvious must read. I also recommend the Starfist series by David Sherman and Dan Cragg, as well as Forever War, Forever Peace, and Forever Free, which were all written by Joe Halderman.

3. SUGARBANTJINN

SUGARBANTJINN Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2007
    I heard about this book called 'Old Man's War'...haven't read it personally, but I hear it's pretty good!

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    John Scalzi's Old Man's War is the first of a series. They are very good. He is currently writing a new installment. Others in the series are Ghost Brigades, The Last Colony, and The Android's Dream. Zoe's Tale, the newest, is due out in August.

The Warhammer 40k books are very good, as are the Halo books. (Note - I enjoyed those even though I have never played the game. I haven't read the latest one yet though). Also I liked the Honor Harrington books though I haven't read the latest ones.

5. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    David Weber write military Sci Fi. I have never read anything by him but I used to work at Books A Million and we always had alot of books from him out.

6. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    Cheers thats a lot for me to look out for. I've read Starship Troopers, is it bad that I liked the movie better :) and I've read one Honor Harrington book it was Ok. But I will look out for the other ones mentioned.

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    The Honor Harrington series.

8. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    David Weber and the Honor Harrington series is what got me into the whole Military SciFi kick I've been on recently. I started with Apocalypse Troll and was hooked two years later I've read all of his books, and am hungrily waiting for the latest and greatest from him.

So I'd recommend any of his work...if not Honor Harrington (the series he's best known for) then perhaps Off Armageddon Reach, Mutineer's Moon, The Shiva Option, or Old Soldiers. If you don't want to read anymore of him how's about something from Elizabeth Moon...I really liked the Vatta's war series so the first in that is Trading in Danger if I remember correctly.

Actually I wouldn't mind a few recommendations myself. I was thinking about getting something from John Ringo since I liked the Prince Roger series he and Weber wrote.

9. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    You can not go wrong with Old Man's War. I highly encourage you to read the book and the sequels he's written that Laj mentioned.

10. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    - Ender's Game is a good read.
    - Armor, by John Steakly is also okay, along with Starship Troopers.
    - Karen Traviss's Wess'har wars are among the best SciFi books that I've read, and there's a lot of military elements there.
    - Charles Stross's books Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise have some good space-navy action
    - Richard K. Morgan's Kocaks trilogy is also brilliant, about a super soldier.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Karen Traviss's Republic Commando novels are good. So is X-Wing:Rouge Squadron, if you are looking for something with lots of starfighter combat.

12. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    Actually I have read the Republic Commando books and the Rogue Squadron books. I prefer Rogue Squadron myself, I didn't really like any of the characters in Commando. I have just finished reading a Warhammer 40,000 book the Horus Heresy I think it was called that was pretty good.

13. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    Being a fair "maven" on WH40K literature, I could add a few recommendations of stuff to read in that universe:

- Pretty much ANYTHING that has to do with Dan Abnett writing in the "Gaunt's Ghosts" setting is pure gold. But he's also written two great series about the Inquisitors of the universe. (I have yet to read his Space Marine-focused book.)

- I also rather like Graham McNeill's "Ultramarines" series, in that it isn't the somewhat typical fare one can expect from literature about gigantic armored killing machines. :p

- Gav Thorpe's books on the "Last Chancers" are ALSO great to read, especially if you'd enjoy a "Dirty Dozen" approach to your main characters.

14. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    Unfortunately my local library isn't overrunning with Warhammer books, but I will keep an eye out for those ones.

15. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Being a massive Warhammer dork, I second that suggestion. "Dark Apostle" is the best Warhammer 40k book I have read from a standpoint of good military action.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.