main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Looking for software.

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by _Mike_, Aug 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Mike_

_Mike_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2002
    Is there any software that I could use that is (a) Free and (b) good for a 3d n00b? I love 3d modeling it is really cool.

2. Olen_Garn

Olen_Garn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    The only free 3d program that I know of is Blender, but it has a high learning curve.

-Olen

3. PapaFett

PapaFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 16, 2002
    For modeling... Wings3d is tops in the "free" department (and parts of the "not-free" department too). It is very weak in it's texturing tools and has no renderer or animation abilities, but after all it is a "modeler". I own XSI and still use it for about 60% of my modeling.

4. the_dig

the_dig Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    If you want to practise modelling... and not making any renderings, then I suggest GMax

http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/

I never used it (because I use 3DMax) but it should be very close to it...
    It has good tutorials and you can also use most 3dmax tuts...

5. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    There's actually loads for free stuff out there.
    If you don't mind a watermark image on your output, you can DL the learning edition of Maya (this is the same thing used on MANY cinematic releases including the SW prequels).
    Just go to the Main Maya Page and follow the link to the Personal Learning Edition.

Also, here's a link to a list of several entry level and free programs for free or under $100.

Have fun.

6. The-Matt-Man

The-Matt-Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    And once you have some money to blow:

-3DS Max is fairly easy to learn. But for some reason just never gets the respect it disserves.

-Lightwave is an excellent piece of software. A high learning curve, as it's kind of difficult to learn, but once you're a fluent LW-er, it's great. The best part is that it's cheap during Newtek.com 'Video Toaster' or-get this- 'Lightwave' sales. Once those come around, explain to them your cash delimma and see if you can't work out a payment plan or price reduction. They'll usually work with you.

-Electric Image: Never used it, but I understand it's fairly easy to learn and relatively inexpensive. I've seen renders from it though, and can't say much for it's rendering engine, as the lights have been messed up in most of the scenes I've seen from it...the renders looked real good arpart from what was the authors fault.

-Poser: If you're learning animation and you're not confident in your modeling abilities, or you don't realise that there's Character studio and skelegons, etc. out there, it's pretty cool. There's a ton of models for it on the web.

-Animation Master: I know no details of this software. I do know that there's allot of people here that claim to have used it at least once.

-Bryce: Good learning program, but no tmuch good for anything else. Texturing, rendering, etc., etc., etc. is all rather low-par in this one.

-Inspire: I don't know why people have a low outlook on inspire. It's a pretty good little program, and excellent for learners. I guess it's the price that kills the novelty though.

-Softimage, XSI, Maya: If you're on a budget, don't even think about going here yet. ;)

-Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.