main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Looking for some constructive criticism on my custom lightsaber.hilt.

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Brigmz, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brigmz

Brigmz Jedi Youngling

Sep 29, 2009
    Hi, I posted a long while back with some images of a custom lightsaber I built. Well I finally got around to refining the design a little and was looking for some constructive criticism/advice. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could offer.

[image=http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs760.snc4/66051_10150089512215993_599205992_7458144_2982407_n.jpg]

This is the original that I created a couple years ago.

[image=http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs818.snc4/69827_10150089512245993_599205992_7458145_4348364_n.jpg]

Here is the new, refined design that I finished tonight.

Again, I would appreciate any tips or critiques. Thanks everyone!

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Takes a bit to spot the differences. Overall, I'd say a big improvement, in subtle ways. The pommel looks much better, and the black switch replacing the silver knob is also a good choice.

What else did I miss?

3. Jaren_Valnor

Jaren_Valnor Jedi Master star 2

Sep 19, 2004
    I agree with the above poster. I like the design, but the activation switch seems to jut out a bit too much for my liking...but that's personal preference. If you like it, that's what matters. Overall it looks awesome! I like the blue in the handgrip...really sets it off.

4. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    Nice work.

5. Brigmz

Brigmz Jedi Youngling

Sep 29, 2009
    Thanks for the compliments/advice. I know they are just some minor improvements, but I didn't want to change my design to much on my first attempt at building one as it has been several years.

I think I might build a double bladed or curved saber hilt next. They will probably include the blue grip, it's kind of my signature I think. I haven't seen any with that colored grip before and I really like it.

6. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Double-bladed is way overdone.
    Go with the curved/bent handle. Curved could be really interesting.

How about designing a saber for a non-human hand? Very few to none of the props are designed that way.
    Of course, that means designing the non-human hand (and presumablly the costume that goes with it).

Just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.