main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Looking for some good EU read.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sith-Unearthed, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith-Unearthed

Sith-Unearthed Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2004
    Hello there fellow stargazers. I've been a Star Wars fan for a long period of time now. I was wondering if any of you could tell me of some good EU books. Preferably anything after ROTJ, I.E Luke training new jedi, new sith, all that good stuff.
    I'd appreciate it much. Thanks.

2. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Well if you are looking for Luke training new Jedi.

You should read the Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J Anderson.

You might however want to read the Heir to the Empire trilogy by Timothy Zahn before, that way you will understand more of what you read in the Jedi Academy trilogy.

3. Sith-Unearthed

Nov 10, 2004
    Thank you very much, i've heard of the Heir to the Empire series before, i'll definately check it out.

4. hitmbig

hitmbig Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 6, 2004
    I would start with the Dark Empire comic and then move onto the Thrawn Trilogy and then to the (really good) Jedi Academy books by Anderson. In that order will set you up nicely!

5. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    read Thrawn Trilogy first, then Dark Empire, maybe even DE II, since that is when Anakin is born, and then Jedi Academy Trilogy.

But, might add, that as an added treat, you should read the Rogue Squadron books, so that way you can read I, Jedi which directly involves the Jedi Academy Trilogy... don't you love continuity?

If I keep going I'll recommend every piece of Star Wars literature ever made...

6. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    The Thrawn Trilogy, X-Wing Series, Jedi Acadamy Trilogy and I, Jedi, in that order. That's a good way to get into the EU spirit!

7. Sith-Unearthed

Nov 10, 2004
    Awesome, i appreciate your input guys. Thank you.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I would start with the Dark Empire comic...

Yeah, if you want to swear-off EU forever.

9. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Then why does Lucas love it? [face_batting]

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I've never seen anything to support the assertion that Lucas likes Dark Empire-- not to say he doesn't-- except for hearsay.

Besides, whether he likes it or not is irrelevant to me; I don't like it.

11. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I read it like this,

Timothy Zahn's trilogy
    Heir to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising
    The Last Command

Kevin J. Anderson's trilogy (not the best)
    Jedi Search
    Dark Apprentice
    Champtions of the Force

I, Jedi by Mike Stackpole

Timothy Zahn's Duology
    Specter of the Past
    Vision of the Future

-Seldon

12. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    I'd second the reccomendations given here, but one should note they occur in this order chronologically:

X-Wing (1-7), Thrawn Trilogy, X-Wing (8) Dark Empire, Jedi Academy Trilogy, I Jedi, Darksaber, X-Wing (9).

But I'd say reading thrawn first is a better place to start, then just backtrack to the X-Wing books, though it probbaly works fine in that order.

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Start with Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter and go to the last available Clone Wars book. All of it's vastly superior to post ROTJ.

14. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Boba, wouldn't you want to start with Cloak of Deception, as it's probably as good or better than SH and before it chronologically?

15. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    DarthBoba is right. The Prequel Trilogy EU is far superior to post-ROTJ EU.

16. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    Comparing someone to a Noghri before they were evidently discovered? That's only one, among many, disappointment(s) I've encountered with the prequel era novels.

Despite what many people might say here, IMO the NJO era series is, in general, one of the best EU series out there...granted it takes a while to get through it all.

Oh, also, I try to avoid most things written by Kevin J. Anderson like the plague. Yes, he wrote about the early years of Luke's Academy, but the forementioned trilogy left a sour taste in my mouth. It took a while to even crack open another Star Wars novel after reading that trilogy. That said, KJA had a very cool short story about Darth Bane in one of the "Gamer" issues.

Zahn's "Heir to the Empire" trilogy was perhaps the best example of EU material I've ever read. His follow-up Thrawn duology...not so hot.

17. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Comparing someone to a Noghri before they were evidently discovered?

Emphasis on evidently ; it's plenty possible for a Noghri or two to make it offworld, just not in large numbers.

Oh, and that's 1 error in 1 book by 1 author, and not even an important one. CoD, DM: SH, Shatterpoint, the MedStars, and Republic Commando all earn 9/10 or above in my book, and I'm hoping on grabbing Yoda: Dark Rendevous soon as well, which is also supposedly good.

18. Traest_Krefey

Traest_Krefey Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2004
    Read the Trawn Triology and then move to the X-Wing books. X-Wing can be described in one word: "awesome". Then I would skip Jedi Academy Triology since it is horribly written and there are huge gaps in the storyline. Next, read I, Jedi to get a good summary of the Jedi Academy Triology and to have a lot fun. Then do NOT MISS the Black Fleet Crisis. It is the triology in the pre-NJO post-Endor parts.

19. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Doctor Who and The Robots of Death; Tom Baker had some witty lines.

The golden days of sci fi . . . sigh.

20. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Rather -- the Golden Age of Sci-Fi is "14."

Oh, and Peter Davison owns Baker any day of the week. [face_beatup] [face_mischief]

21. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    Hmm...if I remember right, there's Noghri references in more than one of the prequel era novels.

22. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Well, Leto, I've only seen the first 4 Doctors. I don't know any other's.

Man, The Three Doctors episode with Omega rocked. I bang my head on the wall for not recording it . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.