main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Looking forward to... WotW?!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Seperatist, Apr 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seperatist

Seperatist Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2005
    John Williams is going to compose the score for Steven Speilberg's incarnation of The War of the Worlds starring Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning. Another Science-Fiction masterpiece originally written by H.G.Wells in 1898. About an destructive Martian invasion of Great Britain. The movie is due to release in June 2005.

It isn't going to be the first WotW inspired music. In 1978 composer Jeff Wayne created an album with hit scores like The Eve of the War and Forever Autumn. Jeff Wayne is planning to re-release his hit album in 2006 and in 2007 a complete CGI movie will apear in cinemas.

But back on Williams' WotW soundtrack, I think we all know the story is going to be epic but will the soundtrack be equally epic?

-S-

2. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    I want it to be very nostalgic.

And like that...he's gone.

3. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    Well if JW is going to be composing the music then I'm sure it will truly be great. All though personally I don't think anything could be as good as his score for the Star Wars Saga but regardless I still imagine his music for WOTW to be epic.

4. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    It'll be fun comparing the WOTW soundtrack to ROTS, seeing as how they are released fairly close together.

5. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    Nope.
    I already saw this movie back in 1996-It was called "Independence Day".

6. Son-Of-Suns

Aug 18, 2000

And I saw the 1953 version when it was called "War of the Worlds." :p

7. Ganner_The_Hero

Ganner_The_Hero Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003

[face_plain] [face_plain] read a book...War of the Worlds. 1898. ID4 is nothing more than a bad, shameless copy. [face_plain]

No matter how good the score will be...Jeff Wayne's version will always have the true WOTW-music to me.

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    read a book...War of the Worlds. 1898. ID4 is nothing more than a bad, shameless copy.

I find this more than a little ironic considering the film now under discussion is set even farther from 1898 than ID4 was, and seems to have more in common with that blockbuster than with the novel on which it is apparently based.

9. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    Actually, if you just update the late 19th/early 20th century story to a late 20th/early 21st century story, most of the themes from the original version ring true. *IF* Speilberg retells the original story, updating the setting by about 100 years, it'll be a vast improvement over ID4.

10. Ganner_The_Hero

Ganner_The_Hero Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    IF* Speilberg retells the original story, updating the setting by about 100 years, it'll be a vast improvement over ID4.

Tom Cruise blows up a Fighting Machine "Welcome to Earth."

11. Seperatist

Apr 4, 2005
    Actually I'm quite excited about this movie, ofcourse ID4 was worthless. But I'm sure Spielberg will make a proper WotW movie with a lot of three legged machines and germs in it.

-S-

12. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    am looking forward to this movie; and for those who don't know. from what i've heard it's set in present day. in america; but is more faithful to the book than the "classic PAL version" ..no flying saucers but actual tripods.. the original movie is very good; so i'm sure this will be also. WOTW AND ID4..NO RELATION.

as someone pointed out..since JW did these scores so close together..it will be an interesting listen between WOTW and ROTS. anything Williams does is worth it. in my opinion CATCH me if you can started a rebirth for Williams...

WOTW could be a great score....

13. mandy_djo

mandy_djo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    WotW is exciting. It's on the top of my summer movie list. Plus, it's always great when you see that jw is composing the score. It's a little extra incentive.

14. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    I wonder what direction Williams will go with this. Even though it's a sci-fi pic, Williams often still goes for the real feel of the picture rather than just the genre. Eg. though both AI and Minority Report have some inventive modernist scoring, the predominate feeling of noir and a love story (of sorts) ultimately differentiate the two.

So will Williams compose WotW as if it were a disaster film (those days are only a few years closer than his Johnny Williams days, revived in CMIYC)? Or will it be action? If action, will it be the brassy, fanfare galore type that Arnold followed in ID4, or errie in the MR vein, or primitive and percussion based in The Lost World?

15. Draxtralia

Draxtralia Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2004
    I don't expect Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds to be an epic battle movie, but more of an observer and his family's view of the Earth being invaded. Therefore, the score should reflect the more personal "family" side of the film, while still being eerie and eclectic. Spielberg's films tend to be the most inspiring for Williams to try something different. You can't predict how it will sound and expect to be right.

I just hope it doesn't wind up as something like The Day After Tomorrow where being "personal" made it the most lame and corny movie I've ever seen.

I don't want to hear Independence Day again. As great a score as that was, it's already been done and remains David Arnold's crowning achievement. This is Williams' opportunity to be experimental.

16. Seperatist

Apr 4, 2005
    Good point there Draxtalia, Spielberg said this film is going to be Ultra-Realistic. (Even though it's about an alien invasion.) No doubt this will be the same for the music. ID4 was actually quite a good score I've got to confess, I loved the track called 'The Darkest Day' but this time the music was better than the movie itself.

-S-

17. Goran_48

Goran_48 Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2005
    I'm sorry to be the negative one, but those Spielberg-Williams colaborations are geting worse and worse.
    The last one I really enjoyed was "The Last Crusade", and that was 15 years ago.

Hope they prove me wrong.

18. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    The JP score was fantastic! How could you like it?

19. SarahSky

SarahSky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 16, 2004
    I'm certainly looking forward to hearing it. JW never fails to impress me.

20. Son-Of-Suns

Aug 18, 2000
    I'm sorry to be the negative one, but those Spielberg-Williams colaborations are geting worse and worse.
    The last one I really enjoyed was "The Last Crusade", and that was 15 years ago.

Hope they prove me wrong.

Schindler's List? Catch Me If You Can?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.