main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Looking to the future...

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Rox , Jun 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I would like to create a position for Toys. (not gaming related, just the Hasbro stuff) I would very much like to hole that position. Mostly because I have a rather EXTENSIVE collection and go looking for toys 4-5 times a week. everywhere from Cranberry to Washington to Greensburg. As most of you know I modeerate for a colletors/fan site and am privy to a lot of new toys coming out.

If you would all agree then I would humbly take that position. As far as votes go for council decisions I think that the Head of the council should get two votes and each council member one. This way He/She has the Power to absolve ties.

What say you?

2. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    How about creating a temporary or "transitional" coucil. I nominate Rox as the head. Flukegroundrunner as Gamer.
    Greencat as secretary. Jedi_1966 as Costume and props. BDP as Vice. And lastly, humbly myself for Toys.

I also vote that we give "Emergency powers to the........."

Sorry couldn't help myself.

3. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Jedi '66 -- I'd be glad to share duties with Carrie, think she could do the first shift at the June 28th meeting ;)

I'm okay with Sal being 'toys' council member, but I'd expand the title to 'collectable'

I'm not crazy about council head getting two votes, but I'd be okay with council head getting veto power (which could be overruled if the rest of the council was in complete agreement. I'm a big fan of checks and balances . . . )

Anyway, is this the complete proposed list of council memebers? If it is, I'd like to propose listing it in a survey for the approval/disapproval of the rest of the Pittsburgh Fanforce.

Council leader -- Rox
    # 2 guy -- Big Daddy
    Gaming -- Fluke
    Costumes & Props -- Jedi 1966
    Collectables -- JM Sal
    Secretary -- Greencat (sharing duties with Carrie, Mrs. Jedi 1966, whose computer alias I don't know)

4. AdronPa

AdronPa Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2002
    I only have one thing to ask...

Will the officers lay down this power when this crisis has abated?

:)

5. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Of course . . . I love democracy. I love the Republic. I love having absolute power over billions and billions . . . opps. Did I say that last part out loud? It was supposed to be an internal monologue [face_devil]

6. Big_Daddy_Payne

Big_Daddy_Payne Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2002
    *Sings immaturely*

I'm number 2 guy... I'm number 2 guy...

Waitaminute... does that mean I'm poop guy? HEY!

Seriously though... I appreciate the votes of confidence for me being right behind Rox. It makes me feel good.

And I still wanna take Saberpilot as my Padawan learner. :p

7. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Actually, I think that Rox should refer to you as "number one" with the Picard accent.

8. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Nope, Number two in a Dr. Evil voice.

9. jedi_1966

jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2001
    Power...What power could a costumer and prop builder possibly have?WAIT!!Don't answer that!!!
    Carrie's alias is jedi_1966's wife.You may rarely see her posts as she rarely has time to get to these boards,so she does it through me....it's a JEDI thing...

10. jadalyn

jadalyn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    I would be willing to help out on the counsel too, if there is anything I can do.

11. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    I have absolutely no problem with the nominations/suggestions/posts/whatever-you-wanna-call-its. Hopefully we will be able to get more people interested in coming to the meetings, so that the entire meeting isn't the council and two other people. However, I, much like jadalyn, would like to help out in any way that I can, and would hope to one day aquire a position on the council.

12. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    SW is a large realm. I think we should include more people to the council. How about a position for Books. This would entale(sp?) reviewing the new books and giving summaries on all of the previously published ones. This person would have a large hand in the EU.

Now that I'm thinking about it let's try to break down the responsabilities for each member. (this is not all inclusive just some suggestions to help us move along. All council members get 1 vote each.

Head of council: Moderates website, organizes monthly meetings, has veto power (I like that idea better than my suggestion of two votes, greencat),

Number Two guy: (we have to have a better name than that) advertising (flyers, member name tags, etc) fufills basic duties at meetings if Head is not available.

Props/Costume:
    Helps those who want to create either. Holds specific "meetings" in regards to how to design costumes/props. Compiles a materials list for commonly used pieces for props and cloth materials for costumes. Also approx price listing for each so people have a good idea as to how much things would cost.

Gamer: Organizes game nights: this includes all games ie: computer, video, card, rpg and other games not associated with SW (like the PIRATES night) or a night a D&B's. Let's members know of what new games are coming out and gives reviews for them. (Secretary helps here)

Secretary: Takes down minutes at meetings. Helps other council members in researching information from anything like materials or costs etc. Also this position could include Activities Coordinator. They would take suggestions from all members bring them to the council and then once voted upon, set up whatever activity is planned.

Toys/Collectables: Keeps members updated on where the newest toys have been found. What is coming out and how much they will cost. Holds meetings on customizing figures.

Okay that is a good base to start from I think. Hope I didn't miss anyone. If so sorry.

Please feel free to expound upon these suggestions.

13. Big_Daddy_Payne

Jun 2, 2002
    Sal had a few good ideas there...

First, since I run the local RPG, I'm cool with handling all things involving the RPG and TCG. Video games should be left to Fluke.

I'm not sure who all here reads the EU stuff, but I know myself, Rox, and Saberpilot do. I'm going to be doing book reviews on the main page (Tried to do one for Rebel Stand the other day, but it never showed up).

Sal should definitely try to organize a figure customizing thing. I think that sounds incredibly interesting.

I dont think the council should be TOO big... otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose of having one. While I think everyone should be able to chip in, either with ideas or responsibilities, if there are more than a handful of us involved in decision-making, things could get too out-of-hand.

14. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    For the most part, I'm good with the job describtions posted above by Sal. However I would suggest one change, since Zerocool is interested in being on the council and he has been around and active for quite some time. . . How about ZeroCool being Activity co-ordintator, with this position being responsible for organizing the purely social get togethers (with help from secretary and any others interested, of course, if he wants the help). This would include the Pirate game outing, the picnic, bowling, D&B, etc.

I like the idea of someone running a book club too.

So using Sal's job description as the base, how does this sound . . .

Head of council: Moderates website, organizes monthly meetings, has veto power, runs monthly meetings (meaning makes sure we go through the agenda before breaking into random chatting and that everyone gets a chance to talk)

Number Two guy: (Yes, we do have to have a better name than that) advertising (flyers, member name tags, etc) fufills basic duties at meetings if Head is not available.

Props/Costume: Helps those who want to create either. Holds specific "meetings" in regards to how to design costumes/props. Compiles a materials list for commonly used pieces for props and cloth materials for costumes. Also approx price listing for each so people have a good idea as to how much things would cost.

Gamer: Organizes game nights: this includ Let's members know of what new games are coming out and gives reviews for them.

Secretary: Takes down minutes at meetings and afterwards posts on Pgh board to inform folks that couldn't make meting. Helps other council members in researching information from anything like materials or costs etc. Maintains the 'agenda' thread before monthly meeting and writes up agenda for meeting.

Activities Coordinator. Take suggestions from all members bring them to the council and then once voted upon, set up whatever activity is planned. (with help from secretary and anyone else that wants to help)

Toys/Collectables: Keeps members updated on where the newest toys have been found. What is coming out and how much they will cost. Holds meetings on customizing figures.

Books/Literarture: Keeps up to date on what's out and when the next stuff is coming out. Organizes book discussion group, which does not have to be limited to SW books.

That's eight council members, . . . of course each council member could have 'assistants' to help organize specific events or do random tasks that come up . . .

So as far as people to take on these tasks . . .

Head (I think we are all firmly in agreement) Rox

# 2 (Vice? Emperor's Hand? Faithful sidekick?) BDP

Costume/props: Jedi 1966

Collectable/toys: JM Sal

Gaming: Fluke

Secretary: Greencat

Activities: ZeroCool

Books: ?????? who wants to do this?

15. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Head of council: Moderates website, organizes monthly meetings, has veto power (I like that idea better than my suggestion of two votes, greencat),

I agree, this should be set in stone.

Number Two guy: (we have to have a better name than that) advertising (flyers, member name tags, etc) fufills basic duties at meetings if Head is not available.

I agrre, except for nametags, I'll be handling that. Also the flyers should be something everyone does.

Props/Costume:
    Helps those who want to create either. Holds specific "meetings" in regards to how to design costumes/props. Compiles a materials list for commonly used pieces for props and cloth materials for costumes. Also approx price listing for each so people have a good idea as to how much things would cost.

Couldn't have said it better.

Gamer: Organizes game nights: this includes all games ie: computer, video, card, rpg and other games not associated with SW (like the PIRATES night) or a night a D&B's. Let's members know of what new games are coming out and gives reviews for them. (Secretary helps here)

I'm ok with this, but I would like to be the lead on the TCG game. I'm in the middle of tryin to get an organized league run through Wizards of the Coast here in Pittsburgh.

Secretary: Takes down minutes at meetings. Helps other council members in researching information from anything like materials or costs etc. Also this position could include Activities Coordinator. They would take suggestions from all members bring them to the council and then once voted upon, set up whatever activity is planned.

Sounds good to me.

Sal you are now officially the man!

16. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    here are my close to final suggestions for council members. Also as a duty of the officer I would give each person the ability to post news articles from the website.

President: Terry/Rox
    Vice President: Dan?Big_Daddy_Payne
    Secretary: Chris/greencat336
    Costuming/Props: Tony/jedi_1996
    Collecting: Sal/jedi_master_sal

I think having an odd number of council members would be the best thing right now, there would never be a tie when making a decision. Also keeping the number of members down right now since we are still relitively a small group. If other members would still like to take Jr. rules in theplanning of events like gaming co-ordinator or Book club. That's is fine with me. I would just as follows:

Gaming: Dan/Fluke
    Social Co-ordinator: Chris/Zerocool69

17. Big_Daddy_Payne

Jun 2, 2002
    Duuuuude...

::hugs Rox, Greencat, Jedi1966, and Sal::

We are the Pittsburgh Jedi Council. We are Jedi freekin' MASTERS.

We are SO bad-ass.

18. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Rox, do you want to put up a poll thread to allow the fanforce to vote yes or no to the proposed council????

19. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    No, I think this is something that should be voted in public at the next meeting. If you want you post your vote once we get closer to the meet, since you won't be there.

20. jedi_1966

jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2001
    I'm cool with everything afore mentioned,I will,along with Big Daddy, take my padawan and he will be Corran_16201.Costuming/Props will be a BIG thing for us,I can see (especially after being picked apart at ComiCon...hehehe),his help will bring much more to our group.Odd # of council is on the money,I agree,as well as only 5 for now.We may have over 70 site members but,how many will actually show at meeting and events?Not 70,not even 25.At least not yet,something else I'd like to see,some of our other members who posted in "Introduce yourself,Ep II" who said they were as nuts as us,COME...SHOW YOURSELVES!!!...help us and yourselves to make this all it can be!!!

21. Saberpilot

Saberpilot Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I would be more than happy to be your padawan learner. I'm going down to the Waterfront today (I have work @ Damon's.. grr..) so I will stop in & see if I can get the info on D&B.

22. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Ah, I love it when a plan comes together.

I'll bring a couple of my customs along for the next meeting so you all can vieew them.

I think I'll bring:

Me as a Naboo pilot (slim and trim) HA!
    Ody mandrell Padawan
    General Jar Jar

And maybe a few others.

23. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Okay I had to double post this so everyone wold read it so here goes:

1st step is to heavily promote the website so we get a local reputation. then invite parents along with they're children. who knows "we may take a few of them along with us" (sorry couldn't help myself). Definitely keep meetings in public places.

Someplace more fun for kids, like D&B's or something along those lines would be nice "from time to time."

I will be looking into ads in the newspaper for me so I'll also ask about prices for varying size ads we could place for the site in regards to meetings and such.......

okay while I was posting this I was also on the horn with the post gazette and came up with a price of $88 for a 10 line ad in the announcement section of the Sunday paper. If you have ideas on what should be put in the ad let me know. I will e-mail the lady I spoke with our ad and she will have their people come up with other design possibilities (regarding type only, this is a NO picture ad) (way to expensive for us a present)

I'm thinking some thing along the lines as such:

STAR WARS (this in bold type and centered as the headlline for the ad)

The local chapter of the Star Wars fan club, Steel City Jedi Knights, will be holding a meeting on Sunday, July 28th at 1:00pm at the Borders on McKnight Rd in the North Hills. Anyone interested in Star Wars or joining is welcome to attend. Kids bring your parents along.
    Visit us online at: www.thenewrepublic.net

Now as far as how to raise the money: Initially we are going to have to pay for this out of pocket but I have the idea that if we save just $2 ea a week for the ad we can publish it a week before the meeting every month. until membership increases and maybe get others to contribute. Then we can start having fund-raisers (sp?) for charities and also to help our advertising budget. Back to the initial cost. At $2 a week times just 10 loyal members (most of which will be council and "junior council" members we will easily be able to raise this amount. Think about all the money you spend and then give some thought to the future of this club. $2 a week is a small price for increasing our membership and in the long run should only help. My goal is to within a year have 50 solid members who attend meetings and by the next movie, 250 people active in their membership.

Who's with me? What are you thoughts and ideas for the print ad?

24. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    In the Weekender section of the Post Gazette are lists of events and clubs/organizations. I think that it would be much more effective to put our ad there, rather than in the classified sections. Not many people read the classified, many more people look through the Weekender to find something to do.

Before posting this, I wandered through the post gazette's web page, trying to find out what was involved to get us listed there, but couldn't find anything. so I e-mailed them to ask for info . . .

25. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I imagine that a discussion on how to raise money will come up rather shorty, so allow me to make one suggestion. We can hold several Star Wars LAN gaming nights throughout the year and charge each person no more than $5 to come and play. The focus would be on Star Wars games of course but in order to get more people we could let people play whatever they want. They would be paying for the space, routing equiptment, and power required which we can probably figure out how to get for free, and then the fee goes into the advetiseing fund. We could probably recruit people at the Gateway Country tournament. As of right now, I have a router that will allow up to four people to play at once, if anyone else has a router then we can increase it to the capacity of your router + my router. This idea could work, especially when it starts to get cold out. The biggest problem I forsee is where to play. A regular house or apartment would only support up to so many people using the power at once, so it should be somewhere like a borough hall or library basement, or somewere big enough with enough power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.