main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Looks like ROTS will be the 2005 BO king.

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by jedi8915, Dec 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

That pretty much sums it up.

Good on George though. The Oscars is a joke anyway.

2. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    I can't even say how long it's been since I watched the Ocsars...definitely more than 10 years.

3. 103728103

103728103 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2003
    A greek t.v. station claimed "Revenge of the Sith" as the 2005 box office King followed by 'Goblet of Fire', 'War of the Worlds', 'Wedding Crushers' & some other movie I can't remember.

4. VegaoftheLyre

VegaoftheLyre Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2005
    I've always been a fan and admirerer of GL. But people always talk about how GL has thumbed his nose, so to speak, at Hollywood and the Academy in general. And it does seem that the Academy hands down snubs to poor George on a regular basis.

I was just wondering, can someone explain when exactly, or how GL offended them? Is it because he funds his own movies and reaps the rewards?? Did he actually say something that was a little more direct? I've been hearing about this for years without any references to real events. Anyone? A little more knowledge might light my way!

5. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Because of the way the contract for ANH was written, GL ended up with all the sequel and merchandising rights for the films. Obviously this led to him earning huge amounts of money and being able to set himself up independent of the system. So this massive thing called SW rolled on through the years conquering all before it and the Hollywood bigwigs saw very little of the reward. He was also a pioneer in special effects and sound, once again without being connected to the "powers that be" I think it's been more a methaphorical nose thumbing than any particular insults, although he did once resign from the directors guild I think it was, over some kind of contractual thing. He may have had a thing or two to say about Hollywood beauracracy over that one.

I fully agree though - GL deserves a lot of credit for the way he made his way. It took a lot of courage to do what he did.

6. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    So ROTS put Star Wars back on top again, after AOTC lost at the box office to Spidey and The Two Towers. But where's the respect? Nearly all the end of year reviews I've read (like in Entertainment Weekly) have had ROTS as just a footnote (that Star Wars film that made tons of money even though it sucked just like the last two). Every other film that achieves the same level of success as the prequels at least gets credit for being popular. But even after ROTS achieved both critical and commercial success (unlike the other two films) it seems like the media and the "in-crowd" still refuse to admit any regular moviegoers actually enjoyed the film. It just made over $800 million worldwide on the back of obsessed fans seeing it multiple times even though it sucked, apparently. Is that our lot in life?

7. --Darth_Ganondorf--

--Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    That, and a critic from the Washington Post just listed it as the worst movie of '05...

8. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Lucas has already received his Oscar. So Hollywood can't hate him THAT much.

9. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I have a paper copy of the Washington Post here from May, with their original review. It calls it the best of the prequels and the only one that can stand with the original trilogy.

I AM TIRED OF THE MEDIA REVISIONISM WITH STAR WARS

10. sithscotti418

sithscotti418 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Do we actually care about the media. The film is the clear cut box office chami in a sluggish year at the theaters, 380 million is huge.(especially in a bad year) Rots has a very good chance at winning the peoples choice awards and mtv movie awards, that should be enough.

The critics don't get it. They never have, and they never will

Rots was an incredible experience that no elitist crtic can ever take away from me. I loved the movie, and if the snobbish critics will look down at me for that, let them go ahead.

Because the fact is Rots was number #1 by a wide freaking margin., Harry Potter, King Kon, and War of the Worlds were asll suppose to outgross it, and none of the films will come close domestically to ROTS/

11. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Yes, I care, because the critics set the tone, and the masses follow. Everyone I spoke to this spring thought that ROTS was very good, great fun. But within a few years they'll all agree with the critics that it sucked. Same as happened with TPM, same with AOTC.

12. CaamasiJedi49

CaamasiJedi49 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2004
    And then ten or twenty years down they will again agree with you that ROTS was a great movie, just like people did with the Original Trilogy. STar Wars has the fantastic ability to shine with the test of time then fall into obscurity, so I say be patient and let them slowly crawl back to your camp. They will come back.

Caamasi Jedi49

13. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    The thing is, I didn't feel, at all, what we're supposed to feel at the end, when Jack Black's Carl Denham said, "Beauty killed the beast". That basically sums up the experience right there. I almost wasn't even sure, are we supposed to take that seriously?

I know what you mean. The line seemed to have more of an impact when the same character said it in the original. Maybe it has to do with the way the line was delivered in the 2005 version.

I can safely say, and I'm a huge Peter Jackson fan, that George Lucas made a far better film in Episode III, than Jackson did King Kong.

Absolutely. George Lucas and STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH. =D=

GL deserves a lot of credit for the way he made his way. It took a lot of courage to do what he did.

I agree. Again, applause for George Lucas. =D=

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Basically Lucas wasn't fond of Hollywood since the days of THX-1138. By the start of the 70's, the studios were beginning to be run by the corporations rather than the studio heads from the early days of cinema. It became all about the dollar and cents, rather than the artistic value. THX got what he felt was the shaft and fans of the film agree. This continued with American Graffetti, where the studio felt that Lucas made a non-sensical film, whereas he made a classic film in it's own right. Even with test screenings, they felt that it was just a fluke and rigged. In the end, the huge box office proved that Lucas was right and they were wrong. Then he went to work on ANH, which was rejected by two studios before Fox took it. Then Fox was getting impatient with Lucas and threatening to shut the project down. It was all Alan Ladd junior could do to keep it going, who was the only one who really championed the film. In the end, Lucas cut a deal that would give him full rights to sequels and prequels, as well as the merchendise. This way, he could fund the whole thing himself and avoid studio involvement. At one point, Fox even considered releasing the film on television instead of theatrically. In the end, ANH became a hit and Lucas became the posterboy. But Lucas wasn't too happy with the studio system as it had become. Later there were issues with the Director's Guild over TESB, which resulted in Lucas tearing up his card and going fully independent.

If you watch "Empire Of Dreams" it explains it in better detail. :)

15. sithscotti418

sithscotti418 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Those aren't fans than they are robots, who are unable to think for themselves.
    I loved Rots and can't wait until my sister gives me back my dvd so I can watch it again. I even liked TPM. I don't need to bebe told what to like and not to, I feel sorry for those who do, but it aint no sweat off my back

I loved Rots and Aotc, and I am not taking it because that is the cool thing to do.

16. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Since we know the box office for 2005 now, I'm going to lock this thread and redirect all those who still wish to talk about it to the SWC Box Office thread. If you wish to discuss the media's response or awards shows there are dedicated Official threads for both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.