main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Looks like ROTS will be the 2005 BO king.

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by jedi8915, Dec 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    [face_not_talking]

unlike anakin king kong has to be likeable [face_not_talking]

Yeah. Saying BB was good is generous. I would say almost disappointing.

totally agree

2. mastersith69

mastersith69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    hey ya'll i'm going to say it , the movie of the year that dissapointed me was batman begins just due to half of the movie they were just talking and not doing anything cool. i am officially starting a top 5 movies of 2005 and i want to see what everybody thinks there's are.

i already posted mine but i'll do it again.

1. revenge fo the sith.
    2. king kong.
    3. harry potter.
    4. the wedding crasher.
    5. the war of the worlds, tied with house of wax.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Batman is not all about action. It's about characters and detective work. The Burton/Schumacher films gave the wrong impression of what Batman is. The fact that it wasn't a clone of those films, is why it gets a lot of praise.

4. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    i actually think that the first 2 (burton) where the best of the serie.

the ones shumacher directed sucked big time [face_talk_hand]

5. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    After seeing Batman Begins, the previous four films don't exist to me anymore.

6. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    i actually think BB sucked as much as BFE and BR but we can disagree.for me after i saw movies 1 and 2 the other 3 mean nothing to me and i know the grammar sucked in this post but you get what i mean

7. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Interesting Sinister, coming from someone with a Superman Icon. :p. I didn't like BB at first..It gets better each time I watch it. It really is the quintessential Batman movie. (though I don't like the League of shadows origin story..that is an updated 90's version origin..not the true 30's origin)

sadly, I cannot list my favorite movies of 2005..cause I don't think I saw 5 movies all year, and some I wouldn't want to put on my list cause as much as I wanted to like them..they were awful (Elektra comes to mind)

1)ROTS
    2)HP and the GOF
    3)Batman Begins

(huge Gap)

4)The Legend of Zorro
    5)Elektra (terrible..even with Garner)

Unless KK picks it up after the holiday season and has some "terrific" legs...

ROTS reigns in 2005

EDIT: well I did think of the other two...and that is in fact the only movies I can think of. So I may have only seen 5 movies all year. (sighs)

8. mastersith69

Mar 10, 2005
    bottom line rots rules!!!

9. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    Besides ROTS, Batman was the only movie I liked at all this year.
    I watched it on consecutive nights when I got the DVD...very good movie.

This has to be the worst year ever for movies.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Batman's origin evolved a lot since 1939. Tying Ra's al Ghul into Batman's origin works as it avoids having to train with every known martial arts master in existence. Cuts it down to the basics and also establishes where his ninja aspects come in.

Otherwise, Batman Begins was more faithful to the entire concept of Batman. We had Joe Chill. We had Jim Gordon as the young cop who will become Commissioner. Lucius Fox as Bruce Wayne's VP and right hand man in Wayne Enterprises. Bruce swiping Wayne Tech equipment to use as Batman. Most important of all, Batman doesn't kill.

11. mastersith69

Mar 10, 2005
    i would'nt say it was the worst year brother it is just this year for some reason they spread out all the good ones and fill in the months between with these artsy fartsy movies like gay cowboys up in the mountains and dumb family films like yours mine and ours. pretty this year year was dominated by alot of independent films as last year it was dominated by blockbuster movies. i think if they had made so that all the big ones this year were close to one another opening up it might of been alot better, instead of spreading them so far apart.

12. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Below is the link to the showdown bt KK and each of the LOTR films. If the trend for PJ holds, then KK will gross 5-7x its first weekend domestic bo, showing much stronger legs than ROTS. However, that would still only put its final domestic bo @ ~$250-$350 min., not enough to catch ROTS. However, if KK grosses 2x internationally what it did domestically, then its worldwide bo gross would be ~$750 min-$1 bin--thus it could beat ROTS internationally and worldwide. Hope not, as that would likely put ROTS @ #3 in these two categories.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=vs-lotr.htm

13. redsabreanakin

Feb 16, 2005
    I agree totally with your second paragraph there Sinister, I guess I have a problem with all these writers changing "origin" stories for the next generation. An origin is simply that; but it sounds like you know Batman more than me. I'm a Supes fan..always will be. My Dad is the comic book collector of DC and Marvel, but I always followed the Marvel stuff...and they change their origins too. [face_frustrated]

Depending on what KK does, it will be nice to have the last SW movie be number one for it's year. Kinda wish ATOC had done a little better, now that would have been really cool; but gotta admit..Spiderman was a monster.

14. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    AOTC lost out to Spidey, a woefully inferior film, bc Spidey outmaneouvered AOTC. First, Spidey was released before and jumped the gun. Second, its marketing budget was 100% greater. Third, GL is very picky about QC--he shows his films in only theaters he approves of. Spidey was shown in many more theaters than AOTC. Also, Spidey ran at 2 hours, while AOTC ran at 2:23--so it had less screeings. Finally, once AOTC did get released, it had to compete against fast up-and-coming competition. The summer of 2002 had to be the most competitive summer ever. And by the time the competition came out, it was early enough into AOTC's run to hurt it, while too late to hurt the earlier released Spidey. Overseas, it was worse for AOTC. Spidey was released in far more theaters than AOTC. Also, AOTC was not only had to play catch up and then do so with competition, but its great opening weekends were nothing compared to the power of the World Cup of Football (soccer, the real football, you know, where you use your feet?:p). AOTC never recovered.

15. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    If anyone wants a chuckle...head over to the BOM forums and watch them make excuse-after-excuse for Kong's mediocre box-office.

However, I am impressed with Potter's and Narnia's Monday numbers...both increased from last week.

16. redsabreanakin

Feb 16, 2005
    PrinceEspaaValorum: agree 100% with everything you said. (especially the soccer part) I didn't like Spiderman at all (in fact I like Daredevil better), but it did make a lot of money unfortuneatly.

17. Jumpman

Sep 12, 2003
    Kong is done, people. 300 million is out of the question. 250 million is looking like a huge IF at the moment. While it won't be a bomb, it is a disappointment when compared to how it was marketed and sold to the public.

18. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I still need to see it and Narnia, I may go see Narnia tonight and see kong on Friday, but yeah ROTS will stay at the top for sure.

19. sithscotti418

sithscotti418 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Kong will be lucky to pull in 200 millon. It had a maller 5 day total compared to Batman Begins, and BB had a strong word of mouth that pushe it over the 200 millon. Kong has the disadvantage of being 6 hours long, and quite frankly ain't as good as Batman

20. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    kong will not ,by any means ,beat ROTS . potter can do it though but ROTS is still my favorite wich is what counts for me [face_dancing]

21. Jumpman

Sep 12, 2003
    Potter won't do it either. It only made 5.3 million last weekend. It's only at 253 million. It needs another 127 million to match Episode III. The Holiday Season won't do that.

Episode III is the box office king domestically. So let it be written. So let it be done. So speaks Jumpman the first.

22. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    do i have to check the BO of the different movies in different places ? where can i see it ? and what about narnia ?

23. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    =D=
    =D= =D=
    =D= =D=

24. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Kong has the disadvantage of being 6 hours long, and quite frankly ain't as good as Batman

Actually, it's only 3 hours long, it just SEEMS like 6 hours! [face_laugh]

25. sithrules70

May 28, 2005

possibly thats what he meant but i agree with you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.