main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Looks like ROTS will be the 2005 BO king.

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by jedi8915, Dec 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed-A_1978

Ed-A_1978 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 10, 2004
    Gotta disagree with you there! I have just come back from watching KK and I never looked at my watch once!! I also think now after watching it that it will still have a good chance of beating ROTS, domestic, international AND worldwide. It will just take a long while to get there. Of course I may be wrong but I guess we will find out eventually.

2. jedi8915

jedi8915 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2004
    Harry Potter has slowed down way too much to reach 380 million, KK has only made a million more than TCON on its first Monday and TCON is in iTs second week.

I wouldn't be tHat suprisEd if KK was buMped from first place nExt week, with the arrival of FWDAJ and CBTD2. Jim Carey movies usually do pretty well, especially arounD this tIme of year.

DomesticAlly ROTS lookS to be King of the BO. Internationally ROTS might be beaten by Potter. This will probably give the media an excUse to ignore ROTS and praise HP as the years biggest bloCKbuSter.

Add up the out of place capital letters for a secret message.

3. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Kong doesn't have long to catch Episode III. It ocmes out on DVD April 4th. And given the competition from now until then, you can pretty much forget it. The only way Kong had a shot at Episode III is if it had gotten at least 120 million on it's opening five-days. It only had 66 million. It dropped 64% on Monday's total. That's not good at all. Kong will only pull in around 30 to 35 million this weekend, if that. Given this weeks totals and the weekend, Kong will either be between 125 million and 145 million. And if it gets on the high end of 145 million, it's still has a ways to go to get to Episode III and more films are coming out.

Kong doesn't have the legs or the word of mouth to touch Episode III. Everyone things Kong will have legs like Titanic. It will not. That will be proven this weekend. There's at least 5 films coming out this weekend that will take away money from Kong. Kong could've survived and had a shot if there wasn't any competition. But, it does and the word of mouth is mixed so there goes Kong.

Kong won't past Harry Potter in the numbers. Hell, it might not even pass Narnia. That really ain't good.

4. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    kong will never defeat potter with the miserable numbers it has so far. potter is the only threat to Rots

5. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Well, I'll be casting my 21 dollars into the pockets of Kong tomorrow night.
    I enjoyed the two preceding Kong films, even though they weren't great.
    And I think my 7 year old will enjoy it - if he can maintain the 3 hour sitting time.

6. EwokThatCried

EwokThatCried Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2003
    Wow, I'm glad we have this box office thread because all the other ones were full.

7. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    You would think that with a bladder the size of Kong's...

...he'd be a shoe-in to win this PISSING CONTEST.;)

8. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    hmmmmmmmm. I think I did see some other threads around here then.

9. sithscotti418

sithscotti418 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Once Kong got in the picture the film got better, but the first hour and half was just a excruciating. This film is not getting that good of wom. It ain't doing more than 200 -225 million.
    Write that down

10. jedi8915

jedi8915 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2004
    [image=http://happypamperedpets.com/library/KOUKK.JPG]

The real King Kong :p

How much do you think KK will have to make before it will be classed a flop?

11. princess_jocie

princess_jocie Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2005

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Well...........regardless of what happens in the box-office. We know that the star wars box-office gross is not over. With the 3-d re-releases coming out in a couuple of years, we can expect all the star wars movies to move up in the box-office.

13. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Actually what I read was that BB was not what Batman is about. THat insiders though the Batman creator would not have liked BB. Batman was mostly about the goofy, colorful, show stealing, over the top villians like the Joker and Penguin. Like they were in the original Batman movies. BB was way too serious for a comic book movie. The villian was not even over the top. That is what I remember from the comics and TV shows. The villians were want drew me in along with Batman himself.

14. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Well loking at BOM. I do not see GOF beating RTOS domestically. It has sloweda lot since its opening weekend. Last weekend it did over $5m. Will only get lower each weekend. Even with more competition coming out. I do not see how that is possible to even touch ROTS. I also do not see how it will earch ROTS WW. According to BOM, there are two more countries that still need to release GOF. WW so far $708,882,480, I jsut do not see GOF making $144m + to get to ROTS. Domestically it is slowing down and I am not sure how it will play out in Russie and Hong Kong come 12/22. Though my thing is domestically. Sorry, no offense overseaers. I am more concerned with if ROTS will win the domestic BO. Looks good so far. Will have to see how KK odes the next two weeks.

15. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Well, if GOF follows previous HP trends, it has a good shot of overtaking ROTS overseas and worldwide. And the BO champ should be for worldwide totals, not domestic totals.

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Batman is a serious character. Even in the beginning when Bob Kane and Bill Finger created him, Batman was a dark and serious character. He only became lighter in tone, because of concerns regarding the fact that Batman was killing people. That's where Robin came in. But as the 1970's came, the Batbooks began to become darker and got a big boost from "Dark Knight Returns" and "Year One." The villians are dark and scary. Ra's al Ghul is much like how Dennis O'Neil intended him to be. A man who is Batman's intellectual equal, but also a genocidal madman, who believes that he is doing right by removing the weak and creating the strong. Scarecrow is better as a dark and scary villian, since he deals in fear. The Joker has become a homicidal madman, whose sense of humor is warped and twisted. He had no trouble crippling Barbara (Batgirl) Gordon, then taking nude pictures of her, so that he could drive James Gordon insane. Or telling Jason (Robin) Todd that "this will hurt you more than it does me", right before beating him within an inch of his life with a crowbar.

The fact that Batman's villians were over the top in the previous films, is what turned off many fans. Two-Face is a split personality, who was abused as a child. He should've been dark and messed up. Riddler doesn't have a pink flat top haircut. No one says "Curses" anymore.

17. PrinceEspaaValorum

Jan 30, 2005
    Batman was always my favorite hero--even more so than that guy in your icon. Even though my first exposures to both were not their best incarnations: the technicolor TV Batman (which has it own merits as a camp classic) and the B&W TV Superman, not to mention Superheros/Superfriends?, I liked both, but always preferred the Caped Crusader. I used to read my father's comic books that showed me a Batman, sans Robin, with a very different Batmobile thant the one from the TV version. The first 3 Christopher Reeve movies I enjoyed, while at first I liked the Burton films--even though they were not as dark as the Frank Miller Batman. Keaton was miscast and the villains, esp the Joker, stole the show. And the 90's TV Batman, with Mark Hamill as the Joker, was great.

Still can't believe I didn't go see BB this summer. The origins of the Dark Lord and the Dark Knight, both with tragic beginnings, both having to fight their demons and for justice, in the same year. Sounds like I should have gone with my initial intentions and seen it--but the Batmobile was too jazzed up and the movie didn't look Gothic enough--it looked too modern. Guess I'll have to get the DVD.

18. mastersith69

mastersith69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    how did this turn into a batman thread and his origins? stay on topice people.

19. PrinceEspaaValorum

Jan 30, 2005
    Good question. Which is why I avoided earlier participating. But, since this subtopic kept on coming up...

20. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    Yeah, what are we doing talking about BATMAN in a Star Wars forum...

...when we're supposed to be talking about KING KONG?8-}

21. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    Hmmmm...Narnia has almost caught up to Kong's daily numbers for Tuesday:

Kong: $5,244,960
    Narnia: $4,915,049

Makes wonder if Narnia will pass Kong on Wednesday.

22. PrinceEspaaValorum

Jan 30, 2005
    Yeah. It's kinda sad, though. Even those who like KK want it at best to be the #2 pic of 2005. But it may not do as well as GOF, Narnia, WOTW, and BB. Don't know how FF did. And it is not like it is a flop with the critics or overall audience appreciation. The 1976 sucked in every way, FX, story, acting, direction. The critics hated it. It bombed at the BO. Yet, this KK could prove to be the biggest disappointment of 2005--something many critics and bashers thought ROTS would be. Even if KK bottoms out, I hope there are those who will not gloat. It's not necessary to do so to be a fan of ROTS. All we have to hope is that ROTS remains #1.

23. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Yet, this KK could prove to be the biggest disappointment of 2005--something many critics and bashers thought ROTS would be. Even if KK bottoms out, I hope there are those who will not gloat. It's not necessary to do so to be a fan of ROTS.

Huh ? I think its perfectly OK to gloat when the so-called movie experts and critics get it completely wrong. :D

24. JamesBatista

JamesBatista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    After seeing the tuesday numbers--who's up for Kong falling behind Narnia, Fun With Dick & Jane and perhaps CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN 2?

I'm both happy and sad about this. Sad because I liked King Kong, and think Peter Jackson is a brilliant filmmaker whom I hope continues to be commercially and artistically successful... yet happy because it turns the table on all the fanboys who blathered about Star Wars being dead. I remember a BoxOfficeProphets article in 2002 boasting about LOTR's success and calling SW and Potter afterthoughts... gee, which are the top two films this year? :p

EDIT: And I'm not gloating. I just can't help but feel a little elated about the current turn of events, after having to put up with years of "LotR is the new king of cinema--STAR WARS SUCKS!" and "Peter Jackson is the filmmaker George Luca$ wishes he was".

25. PrinceEspaaValorum

Jan 30, 2005
    Sure. We can make fun of these "experts." But I haven't seen the film, yet, and I do like PJ. So I wouldn't gloat if the film itself isn't the next TITANIC or LOTR. But, sure, we can make fun of the experts. Just like we can make fun of those experts who thought that ROTS would further prove that GL had wasted his time and ours making the PT.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.