main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies: Now Disc: Hare Conditioned (1945)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by TurboExtremist, Sep 1, 2007.

1. TurboExtremist

TurboExtremist Jedi Master star 2

Sep 24, 2004
    What do you all think of the classic Warner Borthers animated shorts? What's your favorite one? Who's you favorite character and/or director?

I got the Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 1 as a gift a while back, and it's the best thing I've ever recieved. I don't see how anobody can stand to watch modern cartoons with their cheap laughs, pop culture references, and toilet humour.

I haven't seen it in a while, but my favorite short is Hillbilly Hare. It involves an incredible square-dancing sequence. [face_laugh]

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I love Warner Brothers cartoons. I have a huge number of favorites. I suppose "One Froggy Evening" is the best, considering there is no dialogue.

One Froggy Evening

3. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    I loved these shorts and still do. Favorites were always Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. Cyote and Road Runner were the best for me though. Tweety should also get props. lol

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    You can see the genesis of Tweety in some of the older shorts; he was originally pink(!) and far more malevolent. They softened the character later, to his detriment, I think.

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  6. DarkPrince

Nov 10, 2005
    I loved that Tweety. I cried inside when they changed his character. But, in some ways he reminds me of that old tweety.

7. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    The Warner Brothers cartoons (along with the Hanna/Barbera cartoons) are the best cartoons ever. Period. I absolutely love them. [face_love]

When I was working as an au-pair in France, they had this cartoons channel in TV, which played mostly the new cartoons (mostly action ones), and the two kids I was taking care of liked to watch them. But their mother didn't approve because the cartoons seemed too violent to her (I agreed with that). But then I discovered another channel, which played exclusively only the old cartoons, like the WB and H-B ones. So I got the kids watching that one instead (they both became instant fans of Captain Caveman :p), and their mum was more content with it.

No need to mention that I would watch it any time the kids were at school and I didn't have anything else to do... :p

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I have seen an early Tweety cartoon where he's white, too.

"A Tale of Two Kitties" obviously dates from WWII...

9. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    LOL

There is no way I could possibly name my favorite..there are too many. I weep for people who have never seen these uncut masterpieces. Today's cartoons?? just pale imitations..and that's being kind.

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I love Looney Tunes. Probably my second favourite cartoon after The Simpsons.

11. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I notice that the director, Chuck Jones, seems to get all the credit, but nearly all the classics were written by Micheal Maltese.

Jones also invented Pepe LePew, my very least favorite Looney Tune character.:p

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Pepe is a serial sexual predator. Of course you don't like him. :p

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    It's not that. He's a one-joke character, and it's not even a funny joke. He smells bad. Ha. Ha.

Jones used to say that he was based on Charles Boyer, thereby proving he'd never seen a Boyer movie. :p

14. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd love to see that poor cat he constantly harasses Mace him one day. :p

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    [mutter]Why stop at Mace?[/mutter]

16. Yodas-evil-twin2

Yodas-evil-twin2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2005
    Mace isn't enough to stop Pepe.

I can't believe that no one mentioned "The Rabbit of Seville."

HOW DO?
    Welcome to my shop,
    Let me cut your mop,
    Let me shave your crop,
    Dain-ti-ly,
    Dain-ti-ly...

HEY YOU!
    Don't look so perplexed,
    Why must you be vexed,
    Can't you see you're next?
    Yes, you're next,
    You're so next...

How about a nice close shave?
    Teach your whiskers to behave;
    Lots of lather, lots of soap,
    Please hold still don't be a dope;
    Now we're ready for the scraping,
    There's no use to try escaping;
    Yell and scream and rant and rave,
    It's no use, you need sha-a-ve...

There, you're nice and clean...
    Although your face looks-like-it-might-have-gone-through a ma-chine...

Oh, where do I get the wa-bbit?
    Wha-t would you want with a wa-bbit?
    Can't you see that I'm much swee-ter?
    I'm your little se-no-ri-ter, you...
    Are my type of guy...
    Let me straighten your tie,
    And I shall dance for you...

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  18. Yodas-evil-twin2

Yodas-evil-twin2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2005
    If you look closely, you can see that the sack lands directly on Elmer's....well you know. I'm surprised he was even able to continue.

19. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Love these cartoons. Grew up on them. I don't recall the title, but my favorite is when Daffy comes home drunk, with his invisible kangaroo buddy Hymie and they bust into the room and wake Porky up. Great stuff.

Who here has the DVD collections that have been coming out? I'm curious as to whether, or not, they're making them more politically correct. I hope not. They went back and did that with the Tom and Jerry cartoons and I wasn't too pleased about it. They're 'period' pieces and the integrity of them should be maintained, not altered.

20. DarkPrince

Nov 10, 2005
    I'm really surprised that no one ever mentioned Tom and Jerry while we're at it. Great moments in those toons.

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    They are MGM, not Warner Bros.

22. DarkPrince

Nov 10, 2005
    Yea, I knew that. I just thought they could be discussed in the same vein as Looney Toons despite who made them.

23. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Turbo started this thread and limited the scope of it; this does not mean, however, that you can't start a cartoon thread for MGM...we discussed several of them in the 50 Greatest Cartoons thread...

24. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Looney Tunes Volume 5 DVD comes out Oct. 30th,and they are all unedited just like the other 4 volumes.:D

25. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    So they are unedited! Sweet! I plan on getting them eventually, but wasn't going to bother wasting my money if they were edited.