main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lord Mauly Mall decision

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Carter-TFN, Sep 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carter-TFN

Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2001
    The Leadership Council has reached a consensus of a two day ban and one week temporary demotion to VIP for the spam posts. Banning users requires LMM as general user status. After the ban is lifted, he'll be VIP for the remaining five days before he's reinstated to moderator.

2. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    What brought this about? :eek: I'm in the dark...

...and a Jango.

3. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    maybe the fact he spammed a thread after being warned and then flamed used and locked the thread.

And banning him=good proves that the only double standard is it takes 3-4 days for something to be done about it.

4. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
  5. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

He did nothing since being given moderator status but break or bend rules and act inappropriately. Anyone can find real world activities to keep himself away from the boards completely for a week at a time. This has no real effect except to appease those who said that something needed to be done. As disgusted as I am that this is the best you can do, I'm literally stunned that you even went this far. But you still came up short.

Being a moderator here is not some privilege that is handed down from on high. People are not edified by being a moderator here. There's no need to cling on to someone when he egregiously breaks the rules. You should have cut him loose completely. The boards survived for years without his questionable "skills" as a moderator, and it would continue to go on without him.

You guys failed again.

AYBABTU?

6. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    You guys failed again.

HAHAH you sound surprised.

7. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I'm at least glad that this was posted as promised and that there his 'discipline' was made public. If I remember correctly, much of PB's demotions, etc were not announced.

~H~

8. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I agree with [Insert name here]AYBABTU[/Insert name here] on this issue.

9. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    I see your point, AYBABTU, and agree with some aspects. Being a mod is definitely something that should be taken more seriously than has been the case.

However, I believe that LMMs punishment is fine. He is being punished for breaking the rules.

He deserves another chance at straightening up and flying right.

If he cant do it, then demote him for good.

10. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I disagree, Dagsy. I think we should find excuses to promote good mods rather than find excuses to keep bad ones.

Why keep a moderator who breaks the rules and abuses his power? Why is it so important that he remain a mod? This doesn't just apply to LMM, but to any mod. It's not a lifetime appointment. He gave it a shot, and failed miserably. Move on. There's just no need to protect him so overtly.

But I'm through piling on. This slap on the wrist will stand, no matter what any of us say. I just hope there are decent elements within the Administration who recognize that this is far short of acceptable, and will work internally to bring about needed change and raise the bar for standards within the ModSquad.

AYBABTU?

11. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    I'm torn between AYBABTU and Dagsy here. While I don't agree that this punishment is completely sufficient, I think he should get a probationary period and not be allowed to be so condescending or "unsportsmanlike" (for lack of a better term) as he has been, but at least be given another chance.

...and a Fate-o

12. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    How about adding some mods who will hold themselves accountable for their actions instead of relying upon their peers to be accountable in lieu of them?? Is that really asking too much??

13. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    I agree with Darth_AYBABTU on this issue. At most, LMM should retain VIP status after the banning. He shouldn't regain Moderator status until he proves he can be responsible.

14. Aurra_Sting

Aurra_Sting Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    I agree with AYBABTU as well. Why the hell do mods get so many chances to prove themselves? Can any mod deny that they wouldn't ban a regular user for the crap he pulled?

15. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    No...that's why he's being banned.

16. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
  17. Aurra_Sting

Aurra_Sting Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    Yeah, he's being banned...after a few days and the chance to reopen the thread and talk some more, the chance to plead his case in the Mod Squad, and the benefit of the doubt by some special leadership council.

Maybe if I make some crappy banners I'll get that kind of leeway when I spam. One can only hope.

18. yodafett999

yodafett999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    Unacceptable. Try again.

19. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    I agree with Aybabtu and to a lesser degree, Dagsy on this issue. I feel a two day ban is hardly effective, or as much so as a flyswatter against an elephant. As it is, it seems that LMM was behaving in much the same manner as PB once did, especially in the "I am indispensable to the JC, are you?" attitude, and in the end, was permabanned for ( or so the official reason goes ) calling someone "stupid" in a thread. ( Or was the word used "dumb"? I cannot quite remember ) Somehow, there does seem to be quite a balance here. I've seen people banned much longer for much less. While no one disputes LMM's contributions to this board, there has to be a point where a Mod, who, in his capacity of representing the Administration, needs some degree of accountability. A two-day ban, and a 5 day demotion? What, was that after the credit for good behavior?

more and more today, I am beginning to understand why quality users like Dushoni are pulling up stakes and moving on.

20. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Hmmm. As overjoyed as I am the the administration came to some decision regarding LMM, I too, feel that this is inadequate.

Although if this is the best we're going to get, then I'll take it.

JMA

21. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    no one disputes LMM's contributions to this board

Did you not read those threads at all?

22. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    People are going to gripe about this, and rightfully so, but in the end I think it will save everyone a burst blood vessel if they step back and just realize that this is the way that things are here, and they're not really going to change.

I totally agree, the 2 day ban and 5 day demotion isn't enough, but the administration has made it clear time and time again that they take care of their own. It might not be fair, but at the sake of sounding cliched, these boards aren't made to be fair. They're a dictatorship, not a democracy.

For a short period I got real worked up about stuff like this. Even earned myself a spot on the JC Drama Club ;), but I've tried to come to terms with the futility of it all. Arguing against it does nothing other than make you the target of mockery. Why waste the breath?

JMA

23. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    If PB could get away with his 'shenanigans' for years, I think LMM deserves more chances. In the interests of mods being treated equally.

24. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Don't give them ideas, Ignant.

25. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    "He deserves another chance at straightening up and flying right. "

He's done this before. This is just the first time such a big deal was made of it.

Do you really think a two day ban is going to do anything to reign in the ego that brought us, "Hate to disappoint you folks but I'm actually valuable around here. Are you? Would you be missed?," and, "I've contributed and distributed more content over the years than most of you could dispense in a lifetime and it hasn't stopped!" and who could forget, "I'm Lord Mauly Mall and I'm here for a reason. Are you?"

[face_plain]

So when is his next banner going up, so we can all come back to see how he handles the criticism then? Oh I know, lets wait until just before III comes out, so he can post more spoiler pics when people question his absolute power as a staff member.

"If I remember correctly, much of PB's demotions, etc were not announced."

*rolls eyes*
    I think I'll go with a DDH quote here.
    "The horse has been beaten. You're beating bloody horse pulp."
    The guy was stripped of his position on staff and as an admin, then banned for a month, let back only so they could wait for him to give them a reason to ban him again. He said to someone "you = dumb" and that was what prompted the perm ban. And you want to complain that he was cut too much slack?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.