main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Lord of the Rings] A Bitter Parting (Elrond/Arwen vignette)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Handmaiden Yané, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Title: A Bitter Parting
    Author: Handmaiden_Yane
    Timeframe: ROTK
    Characters: Elrond, Arwen
    Genre: Vignette
    Summary: This is about the discussion that Elrond and Arwen might have had before Elrond left for the Grey Havens.
    Disclaimer: I do not own LOTR or come up with any of these ideas on my own. Also, this is a really old vignette I decided to post for fun. :p

Above the White City of Gondor, no parting was more bitter than that of Elrond Half-elven, and his daughter, Arwen Evenstar. For she had chosen a mortal life, to live the rest of her days beside Aragorn, son of Arathorn.

?Valinor is still open to you,? Elrond told her, his stern face etched with sorrow.

Arwen looked over at the city, her face showing her resolution in her choice.

?I have made my choice. You have my love, Father?but I love Aragorn more than life itself. He is not only the King of Gondor, he is my king.?

When next Elrond spoke, his voice was harsh. ?And what of your mother, Celebrian? Do you not wish to see her once more? Do you not love your kin enough to go the Undying Lands and dwell where you belong??

?I will dwell where I belong, beside Aragorn?s side as the Queen of Gondor,? she paused, ?My mother left because she had no hope for Middle-Earth, but I believe there is still hope. The Ring is destroyed. A new Age begins.?

?There is still pain, and despair for you, my daughter. After Aragorn dies, you will live on, surrounded by your pain. Knowing nothing else. Do not let that be your fate.?

Arwen turned to look at her father. ?An elf may still die of a broken heart. When Aragorn dies, I too will go.?

?Then you admit you choose death.?

?I choose love, and hope.?

Elrond sighed. ?I see I cannot change your mind.?

Elrond embraced his daughter, and tears flew unchecked down his face into her hair.

?I would that you go to the Grey Havens?but Arwen,? he cupped her chin, ?You have my blessings. May you live long, and find happiness in your husband, your children, and your kingdom. And always remember: you are of Elven-kind, descended from the line of Luthien?you are like her in more than likeness. You are like her in choice,? Elrond touched the Evenstar, which hung on a silver chain at Arwen?s throat, ?May the Evenstar shine with the Grace of the Valar. Go in peace, my daughter.?

2. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    If anything could force Arwen to really examine what her life will be with Aragorn, it's Elrond's harsh truths. And he still gives her his blessing. [face_love] Very nice!

3. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    That was very bitter sweet. I loved their conversation. =D= :)

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That was so beautiful!!

5. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Aww, thanks guys. [face_blush]

6. Aludra_Jinnobi

Aludra_Jinnobi Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2008
    Sad, beautiful, and quite true to the characters. =D=