main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars lord of the rings costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by sithgoblin3, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithgoblin3

sithgoblin3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    i know this has been asked before, but could someone please point me in the direction of the site that had lotr costume tips?

thanks

2. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
  3. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I have had problems finding information on how to make a good wizard's hat, and Alleyscratch does not help me too much there besides from providing reference pictures of Gandalf's.

I have managed to sew quite a good shape in wool fabric. I have formed the shape of the brim by stretching it with metal wire while wet. Now, my only problem is how to get it stiff ...
    Vinyl-based wood glue is my best bet so far, because it is hard when dry... only that it dissolves if it rains.

4. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Simplicity has a bunch of patterns for LOTR. Just look them up in the costumes section, including the hat.

5. pivy

pivy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    Aleene's makes a pretty good fabric stiffener.

--Ivy

6. Monterra

Monterra Jedi Master

Jun 1, 2002
    I'm working on a white Eowyn dress for the Dec 18th premiere here ;) *dances*

7. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Try Potato Starch? Cook it with some water to a semi-transparent constitute and then dip the fabric into it. Dry the starched fabric and iron it. Think after that, it'll stand on it own. :p

Oh yes, about LOTR costuming too, joining the Mailing List can be quite beneficial (but set the subsciption to Digest Mode as it has 50-100+ e-mails per day!)

Hmm, I'm going as Arwen in Blood Red Gown this Dec 19th Premiere here (hope someone will recognized the costume as it WAS in the teaser[?] trailer and on some promotion posters in Taiwan and in some magazines too). Funny thing is, I'll be wearing my grandma's (aka mine too) Plain Gold Ring on a necklace like the One Ring. :D

8. pivy

pivy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    Hey, that's the dress I'm doing! :)

9. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    That's great! :) I'm currently not doing mine myself (sent it off to the seamstress) as it's a whole lots of expansive fabrics to handle (as I'm still learning to sew beyond cloaks & other easy stuffs) but I'm pretty happy I had kept the total cost to around USD100 (SGD185+) while still using Silk Velvet, expansive laces and such. :D

Hmm, we should post all the report photos in this thread after Dec 19th eh? ;)

10. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    I've made my Eowyn white dress:) And I have some red and silver brocade that would be brilliant for the red (actually blue and red) dress of Arwen's.

http://members.fortunecity.com/christine_daae_1881/heraldarwen.htm for the info on Arwen's dress. Midnight blue silk velvet with antique brocade and red silk velvet sleeves...

11. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Oh may! :eek: Where did you get that article from? Has it been posted over at the LOTR Costuming Mailing List yet?

Arrhhh!!! So far I can only find Black Silk Velvet in Singapore (or until one of the shops at Arab Street finally revealed that they do have Silk Velvet in other colors. :( )

12. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    It's been posted over there. :) The other half of the article is about Eowyn's brown and cream fighting ensemble.

13. Jedi_Knight150

Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    Anybody know where to find elf ears like the ones in the movies?

14. Smiling-Otter

Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2001
    According to Liv Tyler in one of the behind-the-scenes documentaries, the ear tips were almost a gelatinous substance. She said they'd melt if it started to rain.

15. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    This page has a list of online places that sell ears or ear tips; this page demonstrates how to make your own gelatin ears.

16. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    Yeah:) I posted it to the group first thing:)

Now for the midnight blue.. aparatently they dyed it that colour, so if you can't find that deep deep blue, you could either get a blue and overdye it, probably a mix of blues and black, not too much black though, or see if you can use a colour remover (Dylon pre dye works very well on new dyed silk) and overdye the black.

Or if you can only get white, dye that;)

Oh, to get the pile back, you can iron it with a special cloth on the board, pile of the velvet facing down (a towel aparently can work.. but I haven't tried it, I can imagine it wouldn't be so effectve, and I'm sure it'll come out textured...) or you could steam it. You'll need to keep the fabric in the bathroom and not have a fan going if you do it that way, or there is steaming equipment (maybe you can get it done for you too).

17. skywalker325

skywalker325 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    My brother, sister and I are going to watch the movie at 11:59pm on December 17. I'm watching a preview on TV right now!! ooooh Whenever I see it, I get soooo excited!!!

anyway, back on-topic:

My sister is going to try for a Galadriel costume. I'm planning to do either Uruviel (one of Galadriel's maidens, an elf) or one of Arwen's new ones (I like that light blue one, but I've only ever seen the shoulders! it's in a picture of her talking to (and probably about to kiss) Aragorn)

And I made a very fast and inexpensive Aragorn costume for a friend in October. It looks GREAT! I'm hoping to borrow it back from him for my brother to wear.

In any case, it will be FUN!!

-Wendy

18. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Has anyone looked trough the costuming stuff on the archive DVD that comes in the director's cut edition? Great information!

My personal favorite costume is Arwen's hunter green riding habit that she wears in Fellowship, when she's rescuing Frodo. That costume is unbelievably gorgeous!

19. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Actually, I'm just not as enthused about most of Arwen's wardrobe as I am about Eowyn's. Maybe because Eowyn's wardrobe reminds me of a lot of pre-Raphaelite paintings, which I love. *shrug*

Still have to get around to hemming my dress & surcoat/tabbard by Wednesday night.

20. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    I have a co-worker that is really into LOTR and was asking if I knew about any conventions. Does anyone have any info that I could pass onto her?

21. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Mrs_Mayim, I made the dress you were talking about (Arwen's chase dress) for Halloween. :) My pictures are here if you want to see them. :) The dress is actually a dove-grey color, but they did *so* much color tweaking in post production that it's tough to tell!

22. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    Mirax: I don't know of any LOTR only conventions, but there's always a good LOTR presence at DragonCon. Last year they had their own Tolkien track with lots of panels, inccluding one on speaking Elvish.

You could try checking out a few major LOTR fan websites or visiting a place that lists SF and Fantasy conventions:
    SF Site Convention Listings
    Convention Listings by JENGA
    Convention Listings
    LexFA: SF & Fantasy Convention Links

I also recommend that any con goer, whether you are a newbie considering your first a seasoned veteran with a dozen cons or more under your belt, you should read SFCon Survival Guide for Neo Fans.

23. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
  24. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    I htink my preference for Eowyn's costumes is more about my fondness for the character;) But I do love the simpler lines of her costumes.

Though I do adore Awen's midnight blue and red dress, and the black and red dress. They too are very PRB but perhaps more later end of the followers than the likes of Waterhouse:)

25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    JainaM, your costume is beautiful!
    Thanks for linking to the ear info. I've been contemplating making an elf costume for DragonCon next year, but decided I would only do it if I could make or buy realistic looking ears, so thanks again. You just saved me some research time online. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.