main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars lord of the rings costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by sithgoblin3, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Katherine I'm so sorry you got to the window display a few hours too late :( How depressing! That is a funny photo though, I'm glad you had a sense of humor about it :)

Darth Lars The Gandalf vest is great! Were you able to find quilted fabric, or did you have to do all that quilting yourself? The staff is amazing as well!

Cow Girl you look lovely as Eowyn. I hope you are able to repair your belt :)

-Kay Dee

2. Koshka-the-Cat

Koshka-the-Cat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Having a sense of humor is good. And, the way I look at it, even if I didn't *see* anything, I still got closer than anyone else did :)

And I meant to say last time but forgot, all the costumes on this thread look amazing. Thanks for sharing! :)

3. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Thank you Naboo!! Would you have a photo reference at all? All of the Orlando fangroups I belong to, and I don't have one!!!

Cow_Girl, you look great as Eowyn!!!

4. Naboo_Girl

Naboo_Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2003
    Alley Cat Scratch has a bunch of photos of it on their site here (they take awhile to load) or if you want you can PM and I'll email them to you. Also if you have the extended DVD of the Fellowship of the Ring there are some photos on it.

5. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Katherine, that photo you took is funny. [face_laugh] ;)

Still little photos of my group's adventure as I was so preoccupied administrating everyone on all 3 days :_| so have to depend on others for some copies. Will post the link when I get them on my group website or ACS-LOTR.

Well, ROTK is over and yet I still got a few LOTR Costumes and Armor to do before wrapping up the project in favour of my Zam Wesell and EpIII. My group is having another 2 major events this Jan 31st for the Chingay Parade and next March 12th or 13th for the Opening Ceremony of the LOTR Motion Picture Trilogy: The Exhibition, and we got a couple of Armors to do by then. :eek: Hope we can make do with whatever we got at hand (Paper Marche, Fun/Craft Foams, Aluminium Sheets) and whatever expertise we had learned.

Err, anyone can recommand how one can do the Helmet of the Gondorian Soldier from the items easily found at the normal shops? ?[face_plain]

6. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    This looks like a good place to start, I want to make the ROTK Armored WitchKing for my boyfriend but I am having a tough time finding decent photos to use as reference shots.

If anyone can help me out, please pm me.

7. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Scott got his helmet on his site now. :)

There is also this RPF member who had done a good (and cheap? ?[face_plain] ) replica of the helmet. I saw his photos over at Cosplay.Com here.

For reference photos, I found them over at WotR and the official site based on the 2 wallpapers of the witchking.

[image=http://www.lordoftherings.net/media/desktops/creatures_witchking2_1280.jpg]

[image=http://www.lordoftherings.net/media/desktops/creatures_witchking1_1280.jpg]

Other than that, tried to get as much infos as possible from watching ROTK. Guess "Ringwraith No. 2" got to help the "Witchking" get his armor together for our event this March. :eek:

Hmm, I wonder if they are going to release the Witchking Action Figure with the fellow's new clothes. There was 1 of the prototype released earlier this year (it looked like a cross between Sauron's Armor and some Medieval one) but with the armor totally changed, donno if the plan will go on. ?[face_plain]

8. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    It actually loaded really quick for me!! I'll check out the DVD as well :) Thank you 100 times!! :)

9. Sleezy

Sleezy Jedi Master star 3

Nov 18, 2002
    Nice helmet! I was wondering when someone would attempt that beast. :)

10. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Thanks for the links Darth_Eagle, I found a template for the helmet itself!!! Thanks again! :D

11. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Okay I want to make one of Arwen's dresses from all the movies but I really don't know which one to make. :( Can someone help me?? :)

Thank you!

12. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
  13. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Spacelady - my advise on choosing a costume is:

1) look at photos of costumes (Alley Cat Scratch is a good resourse ) and pick a few that you love or you feel would look good on you.

2) Out of the few costumes you like, study each of them to see which might be in your skill level and what patterns are available for it. (Again - ACS has lots of information on patterns)

3) After narrowing it down to a couple visit your local fabric stores (or browse online)- sometimes it comes down to which fabric you are able to find. That's part of the reason I chose the Mourning Gown - it's not my favorite gown, but I had found navy velvet, red silk and gold buttons that looked perfect. I had also seen the costume in person which gave me added motivation!

The holidays were very busy for me, but after my sister's visit over the next few days I will be able to get back to working on my costume. I've been experimenting with many different muslin patterns. It's been a drag, but at least I get better results with each new interpretation.

-kay dee

14. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I've already seen those, I've beeen looking at them for............................ A long time. lol. I think I want to make the Chase Dress, but it looks very hard! and my sewing machine is new and the bobbin winder doesn't work so I have to use my old sewing machine to fill it up with string. I don't know, all of them are sooooooooooooooooooo pretty! I can't choose!!!! :_|

I was also thinking about making the Battle outfit from TTT but that looks hard too! I've only started sewing costumes during the summer and I'm not that good. anyways I have to think more about it.... :(

Thank you! :)

15. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    For those of us who like to use ready made patterns -

I was just browsing patterns and spotted this new McCall's one (well, new to me), and it looks like an easily customizable Eowyn Shieldmaiden gown and corset:

[image=http://sistersola.com/Extras/boards/McCalls4340.jpg]

Just change the sleeves a bit, add the cap sleeve to the corset and add the underdress neckline and voilà....

16. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Sister_Sola I saw that pattern a few weeks about as well. It certainly is Shieldmaiden inspired, but after I opened up the pattern to check it out I saw that the green part is just a vest - no corset like the real costume (They just applied trim under the bust). Perhaps it could be used for a vest pattern though?

I figured that pattern would do as an 'easy' version of the costume - but not exact replica. Sort of like the Simplicity pattern that came out for the picnic gown.

-Kay Dee

17. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    Well, the bodice from that costume is *almost* the right shape to be a Hobbit bodice. That's what I'm using it for, in fact, with modifications. It's kind of a weird pattern--little sticky-outy bits where I can't figure out why they put them there. For the shieldmaiden, I can't help but think it would just be easier to use a regular v-neck shirt pattern and underbust corset (like with Katherine's corset instructions) over an easier, modified dress pattern. The dress from the McCall's pattern is complicated and not really correct, so you'd have to modify it anyway. In the end, using a combination of different patterns would yield a more accurate result, and probably be easier to deal with anyhow. :)

18. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi,
    I used this pattern for my shieldmaiden corset. The differences I found include:
    - the neckline is too low in the back
    - overall corset is too short (for me and I'm 5'2"!)
    - the pattern dips to a point instead of rounding
    - the back puckers a bit at the top (may be my fault)
    - it really needed boning, which I added at the most of the seams

It took me quite a while to make this corset, since its my first one. All in all, I am pleased with the results. However, if I were to do it again, I would do the vest and corset seperately.

:)
    ecila

19. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    My wish had been granted. :D

ROTK Witch King

Save it up before it's gone! ;)

20. Sleezy

Sleezy Jedi Master star 3

Nov 18, 2002
    I'm watching Target like a hawk for that one. I haven't bought one LOTR figure so far, but this one has to be mine. It's the best figure they've done, by far.

21. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Unfortunately, I don't think I can afford to get any more LOTR Action Figures for now cause I had bought over my friend's Ranger Sword (while my bro the Narsil but it was bloody cheap so who won't want to miss the opportunity?).

It's a good thing I had gotten the fabrics for my Haldir cum Rumil March Warden Costume or I'll be so dead for the coming local events. :(

22. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I finished my Arwen Mourning gown - or 99% finished it anyway - I did the trim by hand - using a combination of bullion appliques, seed beads, tiny coils of bullion, and chenille wool embroidery thread. It's as accurate as I could get!

Here's a few pics - the rest are at the bottom my page:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Mourning web page

Maggie

23. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Maggie - absolutely beautiful!!!

24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Maggie, it's incredible! Your attention to detail is to be commended. Creating your own trim...I love it!
    You really 'captured' this costume and I can't wait to see some pics of you in it. :D

25. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    It looks fantastic Maggie! Great job on the trim, and I really like the crown too!

Post pics of you wearing the costume with the veil and everything soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.