main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars lord of the rings costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by sithgoblin3, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Fantastic job maggie, I can't believe you made your own trim it looks great. liann

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Woh, Maggie! :eek: Yours look great! A job well done there! :)

Now I feel bad that my trimmings doesn't turn up accurate enough. :_|

3. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Oh, my! That is gorgeous! I'm still in awe of the trim you made yourself. Now THAT'S attendtion to detail! I would have never thought of making a crown like that as I know people who could cast it but that would be expensive!

4. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Thanks for the compliments everyone! :) It was definitely a labor of love! :)

I have to finish the veil and the last little bit of trim - then I'll take some pics of me in it. :)

Maggie

5. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    Sorry I'm tardy, but it looks awesome, Maggie! Congrats, and I love the trim. :)

6. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Can't wait for it, Maggie! :) And why you are at it, why not see you in the Rose Dress too? :D

7. Naboo_Girl

Naboo_Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2003
    Oooh, Maggie, your gown turned out lovely. Great job on the trim and crown!

8. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I know I'm late on this - but your gown is turing out great Maggie! I had no idea you were making the crown as well - you are more ambitious than I am :)

I can't wait to see photos of you wearing your finished costume.

-Kay Dee

9. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    Finally got my film developed and put up a page of in-progress pictures of my Requiem dress. Now I don't feel like such a poser; I can actually prove that I have, indeed, been sewing. Felt like such a slacker before, without pictures! ;) Pictures...precious...

Er, never mind. Strange mood I am in, obviously. Must be the tea; we're out of nutra-sweet so I used Splenda. It's gross.

ANYwaaaay. Here is the page for my Requiem "as close as I can get it with the time and money I have to spend" gown. Enjoy, please comment/critique/throw vegetables. 8-}

Katie
    Who...doesn't have anything witty, sorry.

P.S. My humble appologies for the annoying bravenet popups. They're bad, I know, I'm sorry.

10. TATOOINEFARMGIRL

TATOOINEFARMGIRL Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2002
    Hi everybody! I've been looking through this thread and admiring all the work you talented people have done on LotR costumes! Over Christmas break I finished one of my own and just thought I'd sneak it in here to add to the costumes!

FarmGirl's "Eowyn's White Wool gown"

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    rvqavalon, I really enjoyed reading your descriptions. :) Your progress on the requiem dress remake is looking great! Look forward to more updates.

Tatooinefarmgirl, I enjoyed your site as well. Very nice job on your dress. You look divine in it! And, I think your pin pricked fingers from beading the belt were worth it. Looks great. ;)

12. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Great job, both of you! The Requiem dress is on my list too. :)

Maggie

13. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    Thank you, Maggie and Obi-Dawn. I'll hopefully be allowed to finish the dress soon (must finish up work for a class first), and will be taking a ton of pictures at the banquet next Friday. :)

Also, I didn't realize that the site would exceed it's bandwidth. At least, that's what it's telling me. My appologies. Guess that's what I get for not anticipating enough traffic, eh? 8-}

14. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    rvqavalon, I can't view your site right now due to bandwidth, but feel free to email me pics (emails are in my profile)!

TatooineFarmGirl, your Eowyn white gown looks great! I'm in awe of your patience in doing all that hand beading - and it looks excellent!

15. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    I set up a temp geocities page at here.

Or, at http://www.geocities.com/katianye/Costumes/requiem.html, if the link doesn't work.

I'm completely floored by the bandwidth thing. Never ever expected to get that much traffic. It's like a stampede!

Great, now I want a steak. 8-}

Katie
    Goofy from over-concentration award winner of the day.

16. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Katie, your Requiem Dress is coming along great IMHO. :)

> > I'm completely floored by the bandwidth thing. Never ever expected to get that much traffic. It's like a stampede!

Hehehee, this is what happened when you post the link at the LOTR_Costume ML. ;) The few times I posted my links there, my site also went down within minutes after the post went thru. :( Luckily Geocities Bandwidth Exceed is temporary and for the hour or so.

Oh! I have updated my group's Line Party Photos here and put up some shots from our Costume Parade on Dec 18th. Pardon the "BACK" button on the page that doesn't work; was suppose to redo the whole LOTR Group Website but my Notebook been throwing temper tantrum that I can't get a full session on it anymore. Will see if I can transfer the files to this computer instead so I can work on it again. :(

17. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    Maggie, isn't Art Emboss great?! At last years StarFest in Denver I met a guy who worked for them as a demonstrator who later gave me two free tubes of it to make a second headdress for the Purple Senatorial gown.

You did an excellent job with the embossing. Was it your first time at it?

18. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    I think you mean Katie, not Maggie! :) I haven't ever used Art emboss. :)

Maggie

19. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    Nor did I--is that possibly something like what you used for your crown, Maggie?

20. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    Finally, I finished the costume diary page for my Requiem dress. It's linked on the main page, or a direct link here. Stampeding, however, will cause the bandwidth to be very unhappy for the next day and a half, so...okay, I don't know what to do about it, but don't say I didn't warn you. 8-} Anyhow, feedback is adored, and feel free to look around the site (even though the Requiem dress in question is the most impressive thing there and my first actual costume completion...wow, that's sad.) I've been hanging out here forever and only ONE movie costume satisfactorily completed? ouuuuch. [face_shocked]

Next up: A completely washable version of Eowyn's White Wool for Junior-Senior and faire wear (hence the washable part!)

21. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Katie, it looked great IMHO. :) All your efforts and sweat and bloody for the dress had really paid off! ;) I really love how your dress had turned out.

Hehehee, I have this weird idea of wanting to do Arwen's Coronation Dress in BLUE & GREY. [face_laugh] Frankly, it kinda started out with my padawan's Requiem Dress. :p We went to my usual Cloth shop to look for the fabrics for her underdress and sleeves and we came across this Blue Velvet that has tiny flowers patterns on it. I recommanded to her to use it for the upper sleeves as a shortcut but she insisted on trying out the beadworks herself (which she did). The following week, I drop by the shop again for some cloth and also gotten a metre of that Blue Velvet as now I'll like to try out making the Requiem Dress after I had done my BR (I still want to do it after the fraud by my ex-seamtress last Dec 2001. Anyhow now, it give me more time to make it more accurate and do it myself) and Coronation Dress. A few weeks later, while at Spotlight, I saw a Blue Wrinkled(?) Double Georgette going for SGD1.99/m (~USD1.10). Having Galadriel's Prologue Dress Sleeves in mind, I gotten 5m of it. Then 2 weeks later, while shopping for around for one of my LOTR group member's Figwit FOTR Cloak (ya, I know it's actually a robe but we are a tight budget and his friend don't want to use Tafetta Velvet) fabric, I saw again this Grey Jersey Polyester Velvet I thot of previously to use in case one of my group's member want to do Council Of Elrond Aragorn. Going home, I put the swatch of Grey Velvet, Blue Pattern Velvet and Blue Wrinkled Double Georgette together and realized I'm better off doing an Arwen Dress with those colors. And since I kinda love the Coronation Dress (and will do it after I had done my BR and find the Mint/Lime Green Velvet), I thot of probably using those fabrics to do another dress in the style of the Coronation one, instead of the Requiem Dress.

Conclusion:
    Underdress- Grey or Blue (same color Patterned maybe) Silk Satin
    Upper Sleeves- Blue Patterned Velvet
    Lower Sleeve- Grey Velvet (top) and Blue Wrinkled Double Georgette (2nd layer)
    Overdress- Grey Velvet
    Overdress Lining- Grey Polyester or Acetate Lining

Think it's too weirdly colored?

Ya, I should really post the scan of those swatches online but been busy with other stuffs that I can't find the time to do it currently. Frankly, I had promised to write a report on Haldir/Rumil Marsh Warden Garb and my group's LOTR Dec Adventures for months but hasn't even finish it! :_|

22. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    You look beautiful rvqavalon! You did a really wonderful job on the Requiem gown!

23. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    Thank you Sister_Sola and Darth_Eagle! :D It was tons of fun to make that dress, but now that I don't have that beading to work on I don't know what to do with my spare time! Very weird feeling, you know? 8-}

24. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Do another of Arwen's Dress? :p

25. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    I'm doing Eowyn's White Wool next, for my spring banquet. Hey--the crepe was cheap ($2.35/yd) and *machine washable*, which means that if I get a lining that I can toss in the washer, too, I can wear it to the Silver Leaf (fantasy) Renn Faire and then just chuck it in the wash afterwards. And also, I think my family needs a break from the beads. We're still picking silver bugles out of the carpet. 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.