main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars lord of the rings costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by sithgoblin3, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Wow - I am out of the loop - Dawn, how did I miss you posting pics of your Requiem gown?? It's gorgeous!! Wonderful job! I can't wait to see it in person at DragonCon!

Maggie

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks Maggie. Hopefully we'll be able to get some pictures of us together in our LOTR costumes. :)

3. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    I think pleather would not be good either. I would look for sueded fabric - there should be lots in the stores now, what with the fall fabrics being out. I got mine on ebay.

As for storing costumes - I wish I could have dress forms all over my house too! I bought a bunch of plastic half-dress forms on ebay from seller "seesuper". They're only 10 bucks - and you can hang them in a closet, on a closet door or on the wall. The costumes hang on them better than they would a regular hanger.

This was in my old apartment, you but can see that I've got my Mourning gown hanging on one on the closet.

click here for picture

Maggie

4. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    Wow Maggie, I never get tired of looking at your costumes, you really do a great job!!
    Thanks for the tip on the plastic half-bust hangers. I never thought of that and might be able to get my hands on a few from our local bridal shop that is going out of business. If not, I think I'll try Darth_Eagle or KirstenSolo's ideas. Thanks everyone!!

5. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Dawn Was it you that had said you may be wearing your Requiem gown on Sunday afternoon (before the Masquerade)? Maybe since sunday seems to be a "rest" day at the con we can meet up and take some pics in our LOTR frocks. There's some neat places just outside the Hyatt that would be cool. What do you think?

~Ferd [face_monkey]

6. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Thanks for the compliments ladystar - I appreciate it. :)

Ferd and Obi-Dawn - I'm down for LotR pics on Sunday! :)

Maggie

7. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Dawn your dress is so beautiful, the detail on your beading is amazing.

8. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Ladystar, if there is a need, you can also try to look in your local YellowPage for a company/shop that carries those plastic half-bust hangers. ;) I tried asking around shops here that uses it but none can give me an address so a search online on the local YellowPage and an e-mail later (to check the price and wherther they entertain walk-in small purchases), I gotten 2 for myself and will be getting more later. I think my Haldir March Warden should go on a Male Form for display. :p

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks liann. :)

Yeah FERD, I think Sunday morning/afternoon might be the only time I have to wear it so it would be great if we could do a photo-op then. Count me in!
    Maggie, which costume will you wear? *excited*

10. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Hey Obi-Dawn - I'm bringing the Mourning gown and my Eowyn Shieldmaiden costume likely. Which should I wear to BRee, and which for pictures? :)

Maggie

11. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Maggie - everytime I see your green gown I start drooling!

Any room for a rugged shieldmaiden in the photo? Heehee!

:)
    ecila

12. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Wasn't it going to be the 'gathering of the mourning gowns' at Bree?

13. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    It was - but Traci isn't coming anymore, so that's one Arwen down. :)

I probably will wear it at Bree. But if Dawn is wearing her elf gown on Sunday - I thought maybe I should wear Eowyn on Friday and Arwen on Sunday. :)

ecila - a rugged Shieldmaiden? :)

Maggie

14. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Rugged - errrrrr - I think it has to do more with my current state of mind than with the costume!!!

ecila

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Maggie, I want to see you in both of those costumes so whichever one you want to wear for Sunday photos is cool with me!

What's FERD making?

Sola, can you play dress-up on Sunday for piccies too? Pretty please? [face_batting]

I'm gonna have to find out where the night at Bree is because I really want to see all the pretty costumes. Think they'll mind if a can-can girl crashes for a minute or two? [face_mischief]

16. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Aww darnit, do I have to dress up in a costume again ??? :rolleyes: teehee!

*rubs hands gleefully as contemplates the opportunity to play dress up even more*

But of course!

And you can-can totally come to Bree in your Can-Can Obi-Dawn!

17. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    "Rugged shieldmaiden?" *laugh* That sounds a lot like mine at the moment. If I can just get the quilting done and the vest together by Wednesday night, I'll be happy. Maybe we'll be twins more than once this weekend. :)

18. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I'm making/wearing a super secret Elf dress [face_monkey] (Really only secret in case it goes horribly wrong in the mad sewing rush this week-no one will know how I failed miserably [face_devil] ) It's going good so far **crosses fingers**

For those of you fighting the shieldmaiden corset--I found a wonderful little "cheat"--For the quilting I used 1" square fusible quilt grid (in the interfacing bin at Joann's for around $2 a yd) I "padded" the suede by interlining it with plain 'ol craft felt and then fused the quilt grid on the diagonal and then just stitched right on top of the grid lines to create the pattern of quilting.

~Ferd :)

19. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Ferd, can't wait to see what you got under your sleeves there. ;)

20. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Secret elf dresses - twin shieldmaidens - this will be one crazy weekend!

StormTrooperPrincess - I think we are going to have to get together for matching pics pretty much everyday! LOL! I have to warn you that my shieldmaiden is a bit of a variation of the original, but close enough! I think I might be the more rugged one though!!

ObiDawn - if it makes you feel better, I am popping over to Bree in my CanCan too! I think that is period accurate, right? You know - the deleted scene Mordor Dancing girls! ;)

ecila

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    "You know - the deleted scene Mordor Dancing girls!"

Blarharhar! [face_laugh] Thanks for the laugh. I needed that! :)

22. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Phew - something tells me I'm going to be on the look out for the dancing can-can ladies in Bree. :) Hey, at least I should spot you all easily! Do you think the Moulin Rouge party will mind if and elf stops by to take pictures and meet a few folks?

- Kay Dee

23. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Why, we REQUIRE elves to stop by and chat. ;)

24. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Ecila, mine's a variation, too. :) As straight a version of Holkeboer's bliaut pattern as I could do, as much of a pain that has turned out to be so far.

25. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    Oh, I wish I were going to D*C so I could see all your lovely frocks! I can't wait for pictures.

In other news, I am a bad little bunny. I just bought the remainder of a bolt of blue-gray fashion suede-like cloth at Field's Fabrics for yet *another* Arwen dress. I swear, I must have Costuming ADD. I get tired of one project & take a break by working or starting another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.