main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars lord of the rings costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by sithgoblin3, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Oh no! Really? That stinks!

I think I found some here:

click here

It looks like the same stuff. If you sucessfully order it, let me know and I'll post a link to it on my page as an alternative..

Maggie

2. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Thanks for finding that link, Maggie, but it looks like they only sell to retailers. Their minimum cut of a fabric is 15-17 yards and minimum order total is $100. :(

3. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
  4. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Awww thanks spacelady!

5. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Cross posting this one here and at the LotR yahoo group!

I thought I'd post some pics of my nearly finished Requiem gown!

I hand dyed the silk satin for the undergown (to match the silk
    chiffon of the sleeves - I got the right tone, but it's lighter than I
    would have liked) and the silk velvet for the jumper. The trim was
    sari trim I bought from cyber trims. It was really wide, but the
    middle section was perfect for the undergown and the edges perfect for
    the jumper.

I embroidered and beaded the sleeves myself to match the real one.
    It's pretty much done, just needs a zipper on the jumper and to be
    hemmed. I still want to embroider and bead the underarm area of the
    undergown - like the real one. Haven't gotten to that yet either, but
    I will.

[image=http://www.padawansguide.com/requiem/almostdone1.jpg]
    [image=http://www.padawansguide.com/requiem/almostdone2.jpg]
    [image=http://www.padawansguide.com/requiem/almostdone5.jpg]

6. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Ooooo pretty :D Great job Maggie :)

7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Beautiful! That's still my fave LOTR costume and you nailed it. Hope we can see pics of you wearing it soon. :)

8. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    it looks beautiful :) the stuff i used for the silver lower sleeves looks very similiar to yours, I need to get some pics of it up.

9. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Thanks everyone! For the lower sleeves I used a silk jacquard from thaisilks.com..

:)

10. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Looks great!

11. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Wow Maggie! It looks awesome! I love the velvet; perfect color, and the trim looks great! :D

I'm working on an Arwen gown, without a pattern, it's coming out pretty well, it's just a muslim gown, but the cool thing about is, it's two gowns of her's. I mixed the Angel bodice with the Bridge sleeves. I need to post some pics of it when I have time. :D

~Spacelady

12. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Does anyone know if there are screencaps of the ROTK EE costume gallery stills anywhere online? We have a small, crappy TV, so getting any detail out of the stills is really difficult.

13. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Which costume are you looking for? I have some of the Arwen/Eowyn stuff...If it's not those, some of the other stuff has surfaced on War of the Ring.. You can PM me if it's a secret which one you're looking at. Otherwise,
    you can poke around here

Maggie

14. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Thanks Maggie! It's no secret, I'm hoping to make Aragorn's red shirt for my husband in time for ORC. Alleycatscratch doesn't have a whole lot of info so I was hoping to get some detail out of the costume stills. I'll poke around on WOTR. :)

Caitlin

15. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    This one?

click me

I'll see what I can turn up too.

Maggie

16. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    The red shirt he starts wearing in TTT, under his jerkin. The ACS page on it is here.

Caitlin

17. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Jaina, if I'm right, (And I would like to think that I am :p ) It looks like the one in RotK where Elrond gives him Anduril. And I doubt they'll have good screen shots from the EE, not for awhile anyways. :)

~Spacelady

18. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Yes, spacelady, that is the shirt I'm talking about.

I was able to find some excellent-quality screencaps of that particular scene, so I think I'm good to go. Now I need a pattern-- and a source for the leather trimmings.

Caitlin

19. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    You can always do what I do, if I don't need/like/have a pattern that I need, I always go by measurements. I do it all the time for myself, and it makes it a lot cheaper and faster; for example, I can make fitted gowns/shirts without darts or anything. Maybe you know this already, but if you don't then, it's always good to know. :p You measure the chest, write that down, then measure down from there like three inches or so, or maybe just go all the way down to the waist, measure there; write it down again. Once you get all the measurements you need, you hold your measure rope (Whatever its called) and move it out across the fabric to what the measurements say, pinning it at that spot.

It's kind of hard to figure it out; but if you know how patterns go, then it should be pretty easy. Hope this helps you. :)

~Spacelady

20. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Oh, I've drafted my own patterns numerous times. That's no problem. I'm simply trying to work out from the screencaps what the pattern ought to be. I think I have a fairly good idea now.

21. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Never mind. wish we had a delete button. Thought I found something to help someone looking for fabric. Should have read the previous page.

22. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Yay good news! The silver crinkle organza is back in stock at Thai Silks so they'll fill my order tomorrow, and I should have it in time to make new undersleeves for ORC!

Caitlin

23. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Great news Caitlin!!

24. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Hurray! We went to ORC (the One Ring Celebration, in Pasadena) today and we had a great time! I was able to make my new undersleeves as well as Rogue's new red Aragorn shirt, and I modified his jerkin a bit to be more accurate. I also styled my very first Arwen wig! Nerve-wracking, but I was pretty proud of how it turned out, and I got some nice compliments on my wig. :)

Anyway-- we entered the costume contest (really just a fashion show, walk on, pose, walk off) and won a Judge's Choice award for Favorite Couple! We were really happy, especially because there were almost 70 entries! I think having our swords with us gave us a little extra "oomph," especially with the audience. And speaking of the swords, it was so funny-- we don't have scabbards, and no one seemed to have a problem with us walking around with naked blades! One security guy walked over to me and said, "That's a really cool sword. Can I see it?" Gotta love Creation Cons.

We were only going to go today, but I think I'm going to drive up again tomorrow, because there are some armor seminars that look to be really excellent. I'm willing to pay $35 for some good tips on armor-making.

Caitlin

25. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Congrats on the costume contest win Caitlin! Hopefully we can see photos when you have a chance :)

- Kay Dee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.