main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars lord of the rings costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by sithgoblin3, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    So... now I have been to the TTT premére in my Gandalf hat. Thanks to everyone who helped me with tips on how to stiffen my hat brim. I found out that Aileens does consist mostly of diluted PVA glue, so I used glue. I smeared on lots of it between the two pieces of my brim. It took a few iterations of wetting and shaping to get it right. The brim got really stiff, but has a soft surface.

A picture is here.
    Yes, I am wearing my Jedi robe. :) I didn't have time to find/make a nice fake beard/hair, so I dyed my existing one, and I did forget to bring my scarf.

2. AnakinWisler

AnakinWisler Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    I went to the midnight premiere of TTT last night! :D I spent over 16 hours in line! If anyone wants to see the pics of my sister's Arwen costume, click here.

3. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Wow! All look great! You all must had lots of fun. :)

I'll be going to watch the movie today at 5.45pm local time (barely 5 hours away) with some friends (we'll be having a Frodo & Ringwraith, members from my local SW FanForce ;) )

4. QueenLaniAmidala

QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2002
    So seeing the new movie last night made me really wanna get into LoTR costuming. Do you guys know of any other good sites for it, or forums or anything?

5. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I think currently there's no special forum for LOTR Costumes like with us SW Costumers. The Mailing List (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOTR_Costume/) and the Website seems to be the only one available with all the different LOTR costumes under one roof.

Hmm, maybe someone can create it. Being a newbies in that area, I find it quite hard to get the correct ideas and recommandation on the use of material and construction of costumes I'm interested in.

6. QueenLaniAmidala

Jun 9, 2002
    Okay, well if there aren't any forums currently for the LoTR costuming, I'm starting my own. :) I'll post a link later today for anybody interested in joining (I hope that's okay according to the TFN guidelines, right?).

7. QueenLaniAmidala

Jun 9, 2002
    Okay, here's a link to the new site: http://valar.conforums.com. I know I just started this site, but I hope everyone who's made an LoTR costume, is currently making one, plans on making one, or anybody that has any advice or tips on them will come over and join the forums. There's other boards also, if you're interested in talking about the books or movies. :)

8. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    That's great! Hope it'll be a success and very user friendly to all those bargain costumers (like me :p ). :)

Just a note, you should also have a section for Nasties & Wizards Costumes/Armor too, so all those doing Saruman and Ringwraiths and Eye of Sauron also have a place. :D

9. QueenLaniAmidala

Jun 9, 2002
    Oh yeah, thank you for reminding me! :)

10. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    Does Any one Have a web site With High Quality Pictures of the weapons in LOTR?

11. Master_Kiona

Master_Kiona Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    alleycatscratch.com has a few good pics... the rest of the site is awsome to. :)

12. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks for the resources everyone! A group of us are going to make LOTR costumes for Dragon Con next year and being the fool that I am, I'm going to be one of the Ringwraiths. I think I may now officially be certifiably insane, as I see it's 50+ yards of fabric and layers upon layers. EEK!

Oh well, I suppose I have enough time and will hopefully get some assistance with it. We have to make three of them so far, so this should definitely be an adventure!

13. sith_lord21

sith_lord21 Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    i think legolas would be the easiest costume to make

14. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    I don't know that I would consider any of the LOTR costumes "easy," simply because all of them involve so much detail when you look at them close.

Although I did see a very nice looking Frodo this summer that seemed fairly easy. It was Frodo as you see him at the very beginning of FOTR, when he meets Gandalf.

All I want for myself is a Lothlorien cloak, which actually is quite easy to make. Getting the right kind of fabric is the tough part.

15. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Heehehehe, Meriwyn, me also have to make a Ringwraith Costume for next Dec ROTK Midnight/First Premiere; maybe even the Gaunlets for myself and more robes for some of the other 7 Ringwraiths (our "Witch King already got his robe). But I doubt we are willing to use 48m of fabrics to make each costume; wait each of us will faint and get Free Sauna cause it's SOOOOOO Hot in Singapore. :eek: Hmm, maybe about 15-20m of Cotton-Poly & Indian Cheesecloth each person, cause only gonna do 2 layers of Robes and the extra hood (underneath all wear black bodysuit/pants & turtleneck :p ).

I just wonder, how much does the official Ringwraith Sword cost over there in USA? If I can spare the cash late next year (I'll try to start work from Feb), I'm very tempted to get it but so far, the price tag seems to be around SGD480(USD350?) each at the Sword/Gun Replicas shop (haven't check up the comic stores that carry it to yet).

As for the rest of LOTR costumes, IMHO, the male hobbits are technically easy to do if you got the sources to get the parts for the costumes. Some of Arwen's Costumes also seems easy & straight forward IMHO. :)

Ps: A not-so-weathered-or-pleated Ringwraith robe seems to be very useful in "Cosplaying". My friend who did the Ringwraith last Sat ended up doing a few other characters throughout the Cosplay Event (cause he was wearing a Dooku-like suit underneath): Dementor, Professor Snape, Lucious Malfory (Harry Potter), Ghost of Event Yet to come (Christmas Carol), Death & Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine! :p )

16. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    I have plans for Eowyn's armour for RotK. I've seen a concept sketch of it and it's wonderful. Not the trad fantasy woman's cossie (ie clearly female, especailly in braille;)) but also with enough of it's own flair to make it interesting:)

All I need is a chain mail supplier;)

17. QueenLaniAmidala

Jun 9, 2002
    Could you post a link to the picture, or PM it to me? I'd like to see that. :) Thanks

18. FarmboyKatarn

FarmboyKatarn Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 26, 2001
    DarthEagle, the Nazgul sword sells for about 250USD(last time i checked)

19. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    I just finished a very nice elven cloak this week for a friend's emergency costume.
    I think I will try out some more of these LOTR costumes later in the year......Thanks for the links!

20. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    I'm thinking of making an elven cloak, I saw the perfect material at the fabric store yesterday only $10 CDN a metre. My friend says shes going to learn how to make the leaf broach.

I love your Gandalf hat DARTHLARS. it looks perfect.

liann

21. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    Actually it's just some concept art for the Universal game.. I was led down the wrong path... it's in the scrapbook of theonering.net

I hope we get some peeks at hr cossie like we did for TTT, hopefully it won't be too much of a spoiler....

22. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    ...I just put together an Aragorn leather tunic last night. It still needs some more work (lacing & weathering) done on it, but this looks like it will turn out quite nice by the costume's planned debut on Tuesday. :)

23. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    That's great Nostradamus! Hope to see it online soon. ;)

Well, I think I'll buy some cheap Cotton-Poly/Whatevercheapfabric tomorrow to try out the commercial pattern to make my prototype ringwraith robe. Then there's another 11 months to make the real costume for myself for next Dec RoTK Premiere. :p

24. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I was thinking, is there a way to make Gandalf or Saruman's beard from scratch using "loose" synthetic hair, or is there a specific name for that kind of beards for commercially available beards?

I had looked through the commercial beards available at costume shops and most of them are the bushy sailor type (rest doesn't match the need). The guy who'll most probably do Saruman is working so her can't grow too much beard (other than he's still pretty young in early 20s) while the one doing Gandalf is a girl.

Any opinions? :D

25. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    You can indeed, if you know how to knot a wig sure:) Actually I'm sure you could make it some other way. I know I used to glue mohair wigs to dolls heads rather than weave them because it was easier anyway;)

There's bound to be tutorials available on the net so try wig making in google:)

While on the set of Jack of All Trades one chickie was knotting a goatee... man it was repetitive;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.