main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars lord of the rings costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by sithgoblin3, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Just a suggestion for the "Of the Valor" boards, in the costuming section maybe you could make a completely separate area for links to pages where they have decent reference shots of characters from the movies? Coz I've found a few and have just been posting certain images in threads, but I think it would be easier if there was a section where we can just say "Here's a cool site" etc...

Just a suggestion... :)

2. Monterra

Monterra Jedi Master

Jun 1, 2002
    Finally got my photos :)

The pics really didn't turn out too good, but here they are anyway (rest of my dress pics couldn't be scanned, lets say I'll never let my mom take a pic of me anymore; "Now gimme a biig smile!" ;) ) So don't pay attention to the grin :p

I'm quite happy with how it turned out, though I should have dyed my hair blonde or something =P

Eówyn dress1
    Eówyn dress 2

Pics of my hobbit dress and duct tape form ;) @ crafts

3. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Wow thats amazing :D

I just saw the film today and my gf really liked that particular dress :D

I'll have to show her the pics :)

Nice work!

4. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    I didn't give links to my costume here, what a dork I am;)
    [image=http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~thebruce/eowynprb.jpg]
    [image=http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~thebruce/eowynground.jpg]
    http://recital.tripod.com/costume/eowyn.htm

I'm going to make Eowyn's coat but in tangerine wool too:) Probably use black fur to trim it too.

5. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Wow! All your costumes looks great! :)

I gotten some Raw Silk for my Eowyn's Refugee Jumper yesterday, but it's a shade lighter so I think I'll probably have to redye it before I start making it. I also might need to add lining to it to make it thicker (maybe brown acetate lining again). Hopefully I had bought more than enough at 4m cause the fabric is only ~35" wide.

6. Jet_Vega

Jet_Vega Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2001
    There's a few costuming links at http://www.minesofmoria.co.uk I think, although I could be mistaken. Two friends of mine (we're in a band- word up, lol) and I dressed up as the hobbits for a school activity. We really didn't have enough money or time to do anything really spectacular but we were able to put together some decent costumes pretty quick. For Frodo, it was basically a white/offwhite button up shirt (not really modern), a green suede vest I happened to have, a brown jacket (all I could find was a suede one), some brown slacks that I rolled up to make them shorter, and a cloak that I had to have made. It actually wasn't too difficult, I found the pattern in a catalog at the fabric store and was going to sew it myself (but I'm not that great at it, barely got by when I did a Padme costume) but I ended up just taking it to a tailor who made it short. The fabric wasn't very expensive, just some foresty looking stuff I found. For grins I found a silver shirt at the store and wore it under to be the mithril shirt but you couldn't see it much. Last, if you want to do the hairy feet but can't get the hair (or it just creeps you out), take brown mascara and use that to make the appearance of hair. I have one pic but it isn't that great because you can't see the feet and neither me nor my other friend had managed to get our hair curled before the day we did it, lol. Picture

I think Aragorn would be a pretty neat costume to make, though the details would be difficult. I'd really like to see what Eowyn's battle armor is going to look like ; )

-Jet Vega

7. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    I am SO ecstatic right now! I just fitted my Arwen dress to myself, and it FITS! I haven't posted here about it, but I've ranted over in my LiveJournal about how Simplicity 9891 never works right for me, and I have to give generous allowances to go around my ribcage. Last time I added too much in the wrong place and it was just awful. I have broad shoulders but the neck was so huge it was falling off, and it gapped so badly in the front I could practically have carried a mini-fridge in there 8-}.

However, last night I cut out all new front sections, sewed them up this evening, and I just pinned the whole thing together for a test run and...

IT FITS!

I'm way too easily amused, heh, sorry. I'm just so happy I had to say something!

8. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    That sounds great, rvqavalon! Hope to see some photos of you in it soon! ;)

9. QueenLaniAmidala

QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2002
    (Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys, I've been in Colorado skiing all week. hehe)

Thanks for the suggestion, FaLLeN-AnGeL. Actually, I think we kind of have a section like that. There's a board near the bottom for costuming sites...is that what you mean?

And Monterra, your costumes really look cool! I like your Eowyn one, and your hobbit dress is adorable.

10. Monterra

Monterra Jedi Master

Jun 1, 2002
    Thanks everyone :)

11. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    Ack, finals week is coming up and the mother has told Ceit (me, aka Kate/Smurf/whatever, depends on who you ask) that she can't sew today! *cry* I feel so bereft! *composes self*

I had a dream the other night that I made Eowyn's cream chemise with the brown vest. It was a good dream :), and I might just try it. I've got my eye on the pattern my mom bought to make a formal top out of for the vest, it should work nicely if I modified the sleeves a bit. It would probably be a bit looser than Eowyn's, but when you're a plus size in the land of the Tall Blond Dutch Model Lookalikes, loose isn't a bad thing. 8-} The Arwen dress is coming along nicely, though I haven't really done a whole lot on it. I want to sort of document my progress since I love it when other people do, but alas! My camera is MIA. *sigh*

Say a quick prayer for me, all. Those Chemistry exams (yes, plural--ouch!) are going to be painful! Thanks.

12. QueenLaniAmidala

QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2002
    I feel your pain: I had Chem last year. And Physics this year. Woo hoo

13. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    ARGH! *Sob*

I have sworn never to use Simplicity 9891 ever again in my life. I can't make it FIT! It blouses in the wrong places, the neck is too big still, and the princess seams hit on the inside of my bust, which just looks exceedingly strange. I've started playing with different patterns because I'm fed up with fighting this pattern every step of the way. *sigh* I'm sorry. I had to vent and all my mom has to say is, "I warned you," and other such helpful remarks. I've done princess seams before that looked nice, like for my renn vest, it's just this particular pattern that I can't deal with. I don't know what to do. :_| I'm playing around with muslin and my vest pattern right now, wondering if I can salvage anything of this horrendous project. Any comments/suggestions/constructive advice would be greatly welcomed at this point, thank you in advance and thanks again for listening!

14. BriaTharen

BriaTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    i have a suggestion. i have not done many movie dresses and such, but i have done costuming and cried many many times. buy some really inexpensive 99 cents a yard fabric and make the costume first out of that. it can help a lot with sizeing and such. :)

15. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Ya, it's better if you practice on the pattern first using cheap fabrics, making it as thought you are making the real one. I had heard that one (or more) of these commercial patterns are on the larger size, even in term of American size. Practicing will also allow you to know what modifications to do to the pattern as not everyone is of the same size or shape. ;)

16. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Do you still have that princess seamed pattern that worked? You may as well use that instead, it'd need to be altered only as much as the simplicity one.

If the seams are inside the bust then the fronts are too narrow and the side too wide, is there enough in the seam allowances to shift it all to the side?

17. Master_Kiona

Master_Kiona Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    oooooh I HATE princess seams!!! They never come out "just right" I feel your pain! ~sniff~

Neimhaille & BriaTharen both made very wise suggestions... I would diffently try both! (probably starting with the cheap fabric version, maybe making jsut like you've made the good fabric version and trying to fix it before you try to fix the good one...)

Another thing about simplicity - their patterns are always a size to big according to the measurements... Find your size according to the pattern and then make the next size down. (I've learned through painful experience :_( )

18. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    I have to second Master Kiona's suggestion. If the envelope gives the finished garment measurements, go by those instead of the pattern size. Just make sure when you do your mock-up that the armholes aren't going to be uncomfortable if you go down more than just one size.

19. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    Thanks a ton, everybody! I feel better just knowing that other people have had the same problems. Next time I'm definitely making a prototype with cheap cloth first, most definitely. It's not worth the pain to use up eight yards of expensive crepe only to have it look and fit awfully. Thanks a bunch!

20. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    All right, I shortened the shoulders and that fixed most of the gapping/blousing problems. Now I just have to modify the sleeves accordingly.

And again, everybody, thanks so much for your encouragement. Next time I go to JoAnn's I'm going to pick up several yards of 79-cent muslin so that I don't mess up my next costume(s) so badly.

21. BriaTharen

Sep 29, 2002
    just curious~ are you doing the arwen chase dress? cool if you are. i just started on my mock. should be fun. and good luck with the eowyn dress!

22. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    No, I'm doing the blue/silver dress that was cut from the theater release of TTT. However, I've been having little nagging ideas about doing the chase dress someday too...eek, no more costumes! [face_laugh] Now, if I only spent the same amount of time sewing as I do on the internet..! 8-}

23. skywalker325

skywalker325 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Hey everyone! If you go to the bottom of www.handmadedesigns.com/wedding you can see a couple pictures of my Eowyn costume. More and details later.

This is a site my sister created since I've started her in costuming, and this page in particular is about her wedding attire.

-sky

24. BriaTharen

Sep 29, 2002
    ooo the requiem dress! i loved that one though im not daring enough to try it. trim hates me. but once i finish my chase dress im probably going to do the blood red one that was cut from TTT. i think the red one is one of the prettiest ones she wears.

25. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    BriaTharen
    Yeah, with all the grief I've gone through over it, I'm beginning to think that I should have started with something easier. I started off by buying the wrong kind of fabric to do a correct 'exact' copy, so I may try it again someday when I've had more experience. As for the trim...heh...I've decided to try beading it myself. I know, I know, I'm a glutton for punishment, but I like working with beads even though I haven't done it in a little while and there's no real rush. Besides, I really like the design of the beading on the original dress and I want to reproduce it as closely as possible. I've studied uber-hi-rez pics for hours and I have a sketch of what it looks like--or close to it anyway. I can upload those if anyone's interested. Unfortunately, no sewing during exams. *sigh* Maybe on a study break I can work on it a little more.
    Skywalker
    The Eowyn dress looks great! And I love the verse in your sig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.