main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars lord of the rings costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by sithgoblin3, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BriaTharen

BriaTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    have officially started my mock of the chase dress. everyone wish me luck!

2. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Good luck Bria! That was my big LOTR project for this fall so I'm happy to see others doing it. Are you going with the crowd, using Simplicity 9891 as a base and then modifying it?

Caitlin

3. _Madeleine_

_Madeleine_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 17, 2002
    I'm almost finished with my chase dress. Here?s some pics of the embroidery i did for the arms:

[image=http://www.picturevillage.com/photo/data/madizzo/1412_p30001.jpg]

[image=http://www.picturevillage.com/photo/data/madizzo/1412_p30002.jpg]

4. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Very nice! Did you hand embroider that, or use a sewing machine?

5. _Madeleine_

Jul 17, 2002
    Thanks!
    I used my machine, but it's not an embroidery-machine, so it was kind of hard to do. ;)

6. BriaTharen

Sep 29, 2002
    wow that embrodery is awesome! and yes, im going with 9891, so far it has worked. after the chase, im either going to start on the blood red dress, galadriel's cloak, or eowyn's white dress.

7. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Nice embroidery! I did mine by hand, since my machine is a bit...temperamental, shall we say. That reminds me, now that I have my digital camera I should get some pics of the sleeves...

Caitlin

8. _Madeleine_

Jul 17, 2002
    Thank you :)

I'm actually about to start on a second version of this dress because I found a perfect fabric for it. Guess I?ll have to do the all the embroidery again... ;)

9. skywalker325

skywalker325 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    BriaTharen, if you decide to make Eowyn's white dress, let me know! I'd be happy to tell you everything that worked and didn't for me. The addy for mine is www.handmadedesigns.com/wedding. Scan to the bottom of the page.

-sky

10. BriaTharen

Sep 29, 2002
    will do! thanks!

11. jedimelis

jedimelis Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    Hi gals and guys! I am currently working on my 2nd handmade costume.... which is my first using a sewing machine.. sure beats hand sewing!!!
    I am making a female hobbit costume, no character in particular. As per a suggestion earlier in this thread I went to the alleycatstratch.com for research and subsequently to the Yahoo LOTR Costume Group... Very helpful!
    As for my costume, I am using patterns suggested here: http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/makingem/Patterns/Hobbits.htm
    Bodice: Butterick 6867 and Blouse: 6198.
    I am currently working on the blouse in a yellow cotton fabric (calico?) ... haven't decided upon the other fabrics and colors...
    I am also working on creating a set of prosthetic hobbit feet. (No I will not go bare foot, and I love to sculpt) I will be casting my feet and then creating the prosthetic model in clay, cast that, and then inject foam latex with liquid latex only on the sole.... per instructions of someone who has created prosthetic hobbit feet before.

Well, thats where I am at right now... going slowly... [face_blush]

Sithgoblin: Here are the sites you are asking for:
    http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOTR_Costume/

12. BriaTharen

Sep 29, 2002
    good luck jedimelis! i hope it comes out okay!

13. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    I, too, have been up to making LOTR stuff. Namely props influenced by the films. here's the latest:

[image=http://members.aol.com/mithion/images/elfswordsplash.jpg/]

I post at "Of the Valar" as Mithion...

Hope you like...

--Kai

14. BriaTharen

Sep 29, 2002
    wow nice swords! how did you make them?

15. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    Well, it's just one sword... different shots of it.

It's totally for show...would break the first time you swatted something with it. It's made entirely from MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard)... a material similar to plywood/chipboard. It's essentially wood dust that is bonded with an adhesive...it's used for making cabinets and so forth. The grade I used is the highest you can get, it's very smooth.

It was rather simple: cut out the blank for the sword, added the handle scales (wood glued and clamped). Then sanded to shape (blade and handle)...then painted (the hilt is a combination of wood stain and gold paint) then a generous amount of sealer (in this case Krylon spray...satin finish)...

--Kai

16. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Arrrhhhhh!!!!! It was you there, Kai! :eek: Didn't realized it. :p

Anyhow, great elven sword! :) I been wanting it since I first saw it in FOTR but waiting for United Cutlery to produce it soon may take almost a year (and I might had bought my Ringwraith(OR)Witchking Sword by then! :( ). Well, maybe I can get some help to get it done out of MDF or Brasswood from someone here soon. ;)

Great job done there! :)

17. BriaTharen

Sep 29, 2002
    thanks for the tips!

18. Paradoxigirl

Paradoxigirl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2002
    Kai_Rhann, that's a lovely sword! It looks great, and you look fantastic wielding it!

Darth_Eagle, long time no see! I've been lying low and recovering from the A Levels, but I think I'm ready to go back into costuming! The United Cutlery swords are *very* beautiful, but expensive...deeply expensive. Do tell us if you get one or get a replica made, though--you're so resourceful that I'm sure it'll be as successful as Kai_Rhann's! =)

19. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Hi Paradoxigirl! Hope you're enjoying your 6+ month vacation from "studying" for exams now! :)

Heeheehee, no lah! I just a costumer who is trying to learn and do as much things as I can while I'm still on "vacation". :p

About Cutlery swords, I got a friend who have a number of them. Saw his Sting in Dec and now heard he already got the WitchKing and Narsil, with Arwen's sword on the way soon @__@ (now we wonder where else in his little room he gonna hang the swords ;) ). And I still can't decide which one to buy: Ringwraith or Witchking cause both seems so great looking. Oh yes, hopefully I can get it with the help of my friend, which gonna be a real BIG saving. ;)

Hmm, got to settle my Eowyn's Refugee Gown Version 1.0 by next Sat for the Cosplay event first! :D

20. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    I am planning on making a Strider costume and wanted to ask if anyone had any pointers and what not for this costume...cheap tricks etc.

or if anyone makes it, would help too :)

Thanks!

21. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    Wow! What amazing costumes!
    I'm planning to do a costume for the Tolkien Gathering in Toronto next December, but I'm not sure which yet.
    In the mean time, I realized that the dress in this pic on Webshots looks very familiar!

Again, congrats on the fabulous work!

22. skywalker325

skywalker325 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Thanks for posting that link, Lelila. I sent it to my sister as a wedding dress idea.

23. BriaTharen

Sep 29, 2002
    lol rvqavalon, i am now feeling your pain with fitting. not only that, but machine problems. my machine broke so i have my grandma's ancient one. if you want to know how ancient, it is built into a desk that has some $1.95 patterns in it. but i think i'll make it!

24. Tiniwiel_Skywalker

Tiniwiel_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2002
    Give me a long time,a sewing machine,fabric and a template with the tree of Gondor on it and I'll have a perfect costume!

25. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Quick question concerning wigs. I am doing aragorn, and of course his isn't well brushed wtc. Any ideas or places to get a wig that will look as good as his?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.