main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars lord of the rings costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by sithgoblin3, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BriaTharen

BriaTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    yea, guys come here, but of course they tend to ask about stuff like aragorn, boromir, jedi robes, etc

2. CranieAmidala

CranieAmidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2001
    Well, if a guy starts asking about Arwen costumes, I'd be a little afraid. *smirks and resumes lurking*

3. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    I got to see the requiem costume myself, and I wrote about it:
    http://recital.tripod.com/costume/tepapalotr.htm

I sent the link to the ACS site and it is up, but I don't know just where;)

I also got to the the chase costume.. and Galadiel's mirror dress. All very lovely and all had somethign interesting to see that couldn't be seen on piccies online:)

4. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Just a random question on what's everyone opinions about what I'll do for my friend :D

I'm convincing my friend to do Prolog Galadriel for our ROTK Dec Costume Parade (on the evening of the day ROTK is released here). What I'm thinking since I'm on a tight budget is to make the basic gown out of Japanese Crepe Satin or similar (as long as it'll be flowy and "cheap") and Polyester Chiffon or Double Geogette(sp?), using Simplicity 9891 (Dress A) with modifications, and then sewing these scrap flower laces pieces (some of them beaded) I gotten previously onto it, one by one until the whole body part, and part of the sleeves are filled with them.

Think it'll work? Any recommandation what kind of needle and thread I should use?

Ps: My sewing skill is around Basic-Intermediate while Beading Skill Zero. :p

5. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Hi! :)

A friend and I are planning on making LOTR Costumes for a convention and for the opening night of ROTK, I am Planning on doing Eowyn's white Dress The Problem is, I have very little sewing experience and a limited budget to spent on this Costume.

Can anyone help me out?

6. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
  7. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    I'd just like to give a little warning. Simplicity 9891 gave me a lot of trouble both times I used it. The first time was for my sister's generic elf dress and the second was for my homecoming dress. The princess seams fit both of us strangely and the neck required a lot of taking in. Mine still slips off my shoulders even when I pin it underneath, and the princess seams don't lie exactly flat or where they're supposed to be either. It might be just me, but my mother who sews agreed that the princess seams were in a strange place. Just hoping to save someone else the frustration I went through! :)

8. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Hmm, I'll keep a lookout for that when I do the mock-ups. ;)

The other alternative for me is Simplicty 9162 (I drew my drawing based from it :p ), which unfortunately, I haven't gotten yet. Well, my friend is a lot thinner and less full (and shorter too) then me so that may or may not pose a problem for me. :\ Worse part is, I gotten the pattern in roughly my size.

Any opinion on the kind of needles or threads I should use while beading and adding the lacings to the base dress? ?[face_plain]

9. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    Here is a site that might help. Or just read it for fun, her descriptions of the things she went through are pretty funny :). Her dress looks very nice, I might add. She glued the lace cutouts on and then beaded it so it would sparkle.

If you do your own beading, I would caution, though "invisible thread" sounds nice, ARGH! It's slippery, and just as it promises, it's invisible. So invisible that you can hardly see to thread a needle! 8-} I used miles of it on my homecoming dress and it was a source of endless frustration. I was still picking bits of it off of everything weeks later. Not only that, one of the knots on the beading came undone (stupid slippery thread...) and I lost three or four inches of beading before my friend's mom noticed and tied it off somehow. T'was very sad.

Edit: Wow, I'm bright. I forgot the point of the whole post--the pattern looks good. Is the cowl around the neck attached or is it a separate drape?

Edit No. 2: I can make the markup codes work, honest! 8-}

10. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks for the advice on beading and the link! :) I'll keep them in mind when I start doing the beading work (but first, must take beading class ;) ).

Looking at the lace-beading scraps I gotten the other day, most of them need to be ironed flat. Most have "leaves" on it too, and some of the bead works had came off. And I think I got to add some beading to those not beaded to match the rest. ;) Well, I plan to start making the mock-up around June and the actual a month or 2 later so there is still time. :D

Is the cowl around the neck attached or is it a separate drape?

Well, it's labelled as "Contrast Front Cowl and Back Drape".

[image=http://www.simplicity.com/assets/9162/9162fb.gif]

I haven't gotten the pattern yet so I'm not sure how different/same it is compared to Simplicity 9891 (Dress A). Maybe I can use the Cowl from 9891 on 9162.

Well, will see how once I gotten 9162 and compare it to 9891. ;)

11. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    Front cowl and back drape means it's probably attached at the shoulder and then just flows free down the back. Elegant, but like with the long, flowing elven sleeves--people sit on them! 8-}

I have Simplicity 9891 (in two sizes actually). The back drape is cut in two halves, gathered, and attached at the shoulders. The center back is held together with hooks and eyes above the zipper. It's not very complicated, you probably could eyeball it from the pattern with the back drape if you wanted to. If having a separate pattern specifically for the cowl would be more comfortable, though, the pattern from Simplicity 9891 should fit with minimal tweaking. :)

12. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
  13. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    To offer another perspective on Simplicity 9891, I've used it several times (four, in fact, on four different people) and never had a problem. Well, it's a bit hard to lift your arms, but that's about it. Best advice is ALWAYS MAKE A MUSLIN of the torso, first, so you can make any adjustments you need before you cut your good fabric.

Caitlin

14. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Ahh.. with the arm lifting problem it's probably because modern sleeves, esp. on blouses and jackets have really deel armholes, then the tip of the sleeve is really narrow to make it all sit smoothly on the outside. I hate that in blouses which usually have ease of fit, but the problem is compounded when making somthing to fit.

Funnily enough a shorter (ie smaller) armhole with a less steep sleeve head gives much better range of movement. You should be able to extend the sides up on the body at the same on the inner sleeve seam. Then just round off the top of the sleeve. It should be close in size if you've made the armscye smaller too:)

15. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    Yeh...um...I have since discovered the magic of making a muslin since I last used Simplicity 9891. *embarrassed* I'm hopelessly an amateur, no matter how much I learn I'll still be making mistakes 8-}

Anyway, This site has a couple good tips about beading, and the name of a book that she says is great. The rest of the page is pretty impressive, too.

Edit: Markup codes...

16. BriaTharen

BriaTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    dang! now that it is spring i am having a really hard time finding suedish fabric for my arwyn dress!

17. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    This is why online fabric stores are your friend. My microsuede came from fabric.com.

Caitlin

18. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    I didn't make either one of the LOTR dresses that are posted below but I might be able to help with some questions on fabric, patterns and such as I tried to sew one but my sewing abilities are limited and my patience is even worse (which is why I paid to have them done).

Oh..the link is in my signature line, just click on the "LOTR costumes" on the left when you pull up my home page.

19. davenwjedi

davenwjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2002
    i posted this over at the ASAP board.... can someone point me in the direction to get some of the same (like) fabric from the Aragon/Arwen dream scene ??

thanks in advance

NWJEDI
    dave

click for bigger pict.
    [image=http://home.attbi.com/~cfprez/aragon.jpg]

20. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Need a little opinion here. :D

Gonna send out my Arwen Rose Dress this Tuesday or Wednesday and I still can't decide which Trimmings I should use for the collar of the Red Velvet Overcoat. It's between the White Satin Scallop Pipping or Normal Satin Pippin.

Here's the picture (the 2nd picture)

So if you're me, which pipping will you use?

I'm using pipping for the collar cause I thot I spy something Whitish on the Collar of the actual Dress. Anyway, it's just me, wanting to add something to my version of Arwen's Rose Dress. :p

21. GBG2001

GBG2001 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 23, 2001
    I'm trying to make Legolas' weaponry, but I can't figure out where all the straps go to or from. Does anyone know? Also, which position should his blades be sheathed in? At Amon Hen, the knife blades are pointing inward. On the WETA doc on the DVD, when Richard Taylor removes the blades, they are also pointed in. But almost every other time they are pointed outward. Which way should they go? Thank you!

22. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    GBG2001, Legolas' twin elven daggers are pointed in and the straps go under the Sheath and under his cloak. On the left side, it goes over his shoulder, on the right side, it goes under his arm, and the bottom one goes on his left side but under his arm (instead of over his arm)
    hope this is helpful! :)

23. GBG2001

GBG2001 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 23, 2001
    Thank you very much!

24. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Are you buying the daggers or making them? and if you are buying them here a great web site to go to:

http://armsofvalour.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AOVL&Category_Code=LR

The arms of valour has high prices but their weapons are good!

25. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    The Legolas Knives/Daggers are being released by United Cutlery too this year. :)

So is the Elven Sword [face_love] and I hope this sword will be the last to be released so that I can afford it! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.