main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars lord of the rings costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by sithgoblin3, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paradoxigirl

Paradoxigirl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2002
    Hi everyone!

I was wondering--does anyone know where to get an Evenstar here in Asia? I'm very keen to get my hands on one, especially as I heard that they'll be stopping production soon. I'm looking to either buy one here in Singapore or to find some place which will ship it here.

Can any of you help me? Thanks so much!

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Hehehehehehe, check your PM! ;)

3. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Here are some weapons from LotR:

http://armsofvalour.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AOVL&Category_Code=LR

4. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    You already posted that . . . ?[face_plain]

Anyhow, it's isn't good to post the address of sites that also sell unofficial stuffs in public forums like this.

5. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    [imagae=http://glittersweet.com/costumes/galfull.jpg
    :D

I won a costume contest with this today:)

For those who can't work it out, it's Galadriel under the influence of the One Ring.

6. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Wow Neimhaille, it does look great! :eek: :) I'm very impressed with it!

Now we only need big fans and Sunset-like lighting to make it look even more realistic. ;)

7. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    That is absolutely amazing. But I wouldn't expect anything less from you. :)

8. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    lol! Yes I had wanted up to get a fan going, but it just wasn't going to happen;)

Thank you both:)

9. FarmboyKatarn

FarmboyKatarn Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 26, 2001
    I am making a costume, part of which is based on Boromir's leather coat.(or jerkin or whatever you call it) I am wondering if anybody knows what pattern to use for this? Or of a pattern available on the Net?

10. jedimelis

jedimelis Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    Wow that is really nice, the bodice is quite impressive. Nice concept, do a piece that is featured in such a dramatic way in the movie. Congratulations! [face_devil]

11. BriaTharen

BriaTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I finally got around to getting the fabric for my Chase Dress. I decided to go with a cheap option- $3.99! It isn't suade though. It is a polyester and cotton blend, right color, has a somewhat fuzzy nap, etc. The only thing I'm not happy about it the weight. It is entirely to light. I'm probably going to have to end up lining it. I'll try to put up some production pictures soon!

12. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Bria Tharen: I used a fake suede for my chase dress-- right texture, wrong weight. So I interfaced the entire bodice with heavy interfacing, and it looks very good!

Caitlin

13. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    No idea what happened to the image above but oh well;)

Yep interfacing:) Also seeing as the suede is two sided (got to see it for real as mentioned earlier) I'd suggest using iron on interfacing. A high quality cloth one though. There's a great one called.. magic dot.. I think... it's a white firm weave cotton with little solid dots that melt into the fabric. The dots almost look and feel rubbery. This is much more likely to hold up to washing than most fusable interfacing. It's pretty expensice though, but worth using for longevity. And make sure you read about heat setting fusables. Temp too high can cause as many problems as too low.. as steam can too.

For the skirts I'd also suggest lining in the faux suede too. as they will probably flap open a fair bit and the original is a single piece of suede for each panel.

14. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    I was actually able to use a non-iron on, because the kind I used-- no idea what it's actually called, I got it from the costume shop's stock-- stuck to the wrong side of the faux suede all on its own. It was like natural Velcro. :)

And now, at last, I am able to present you with pictures of my best friend's Eowyn dress!

Caitlin

15. BriaTharen

Sep 29, 2002
    yea, what i was planning on doing is lining the bodice, but not the skirt...well i guess it is time to go back to the fabric store!

16. Koshka-the-Cat

Koshka-the-Cat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Caitlin, the dress looks great!

I just love this dress. I'm making a version too. I finished the corset a few minutes ago and only have the underdress to go.

I love seeing how different people make the same dress, all the different ways of doing it :)

Katherine

17. BucketHead8723

BucketHead8723 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2003
    I am new to all the costume stuff. Can anyone give me a site where I can find directions on how to make a LOTR costume (preferably Legolas)? And how much will it probably cost me?

18. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Buckethead-
    for a LoTR costume (Legolas) get some tight earth colored pants and look at some medievil men patterns on McCalls or Simplicty. I will try and look. Thats all you really needs, ohhhhh and then some boots. Sorry cant help ya there.

*SOLO*

19. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    BucketHead8723, check out the first page of this thread for the address to Alleycatscratch LOTR Costumes Research Home.

As for the cost, it'll depend greatly on the kind of materials u used for your LOTR Costume. High level of accuracy means high cost. ;)

20. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    you can use this one
    http://www.simplicity.com/s2b.htm
    Major modifactions though. sorrie if this didnt help you.

*SOLO*

21. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    That link leads to the Simplicity Catalog main page.

22. QueenLaniAmidala

QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2002
    BucketHead8723: Alleycat Scratch is a great site. You should check out the Of the Valar LoTR costuming forum too. :)

23. SithLordBryJaTomarr

SithLordBryJaTomarr Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    I am in need of the Ring Wraiths gauntlets. Just wondering if anyone knows how they can be made or if there is a substitute on the market. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! :)

24. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Kropserkel had did an excellent job in replicating the actual costume and armor. He got many large pictures of his armor that can be used as a reference (I am using his as my main references).

You can also check out this page for a little write-up on how the person did the costume and armor for her husband (a more easier version and I'm also using their tutorial later):
    Ringwraith costume

And don't forget the Fan Costumes at Alleycatscratch LOTR Costume page for more tips/write ups:
    Nasties

For my gauntlets, I'll be using Aluminium sheets gotten from the Arts Supply stores. Some people use "roof flashing" (a very thin metal you can buy a Home Depot). The boots (if I do get to do it) will be using this thick vinyl I gotten cheaply on Sat or vinyl floor mat. :D

As for substitutes for the gauntlets, I understand some people use one of those Medieval Metal Gauntlets. Can try eBay for the occasional bargain or get from online/your nearest Medieval Costumes/Props/LARP shops.

For a very budget version, try silver or black gloves.

25. BriaTharen

Sep 29, 2002
    wow- you guys have quite an adventure in store for you. those gauntlets and boot things look tricky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.