Oceania Lord of the Rings Extended Edition

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by The Gatherer, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Has everyone seen the extras?

It's the same for the first two disks, so I'll describe them that way.

GO to the scene selection pages and proceed to the last page of scenes for that disk. Go to the last scene on that page and press the down button. On the first disk you get the MTV version of the Council of Elrond, and on the second disk you get the Two Towers trailer.
  2. mauls-menace Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah I was one of the lucky ones who managed to pick up LOTR Collectors (5 Disc) for $100.30 during Kmarts 15% off sale. Now I gotta wait til Christmas to see it!! ;)
  3. Dave_Smogcrawler Jedi Master

star 4
  4. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, way too much. I got the 4-disc at Myers for $65, which is great value considering how much stuff is on there.
  5. Teknobabel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Given the rrp of the 5 disc set is 150, that's actually quite a bargain.

At least, if you bought at kmart while everything was 15% off it's a good bargain.

If all you wanted was the dvd, that's all you needed, But I like them argonath bookends very much.
  6. jediguy Force Ghost

star 5
    I've already bought the normal Extended Edition, but I saw that HMV are selling the Collector's Extended Version for $144, and since there's a 10% discount for uni students that means it's $130. I might buy that, keep the book-ends and sell the DVDs to a friend.
  7. CCD Jedi Master

star 4
    I saw the EE in Big W for $58 today, which I thought was very reasonable.

Does anyone know why DVDs are so cheap at the moment? It couldn't be because they want to flog a lot of players over Xmas could it??

BTW, economic research suggests that prices overall are cheaper before Xmas than after, contrary to popular opinion, due to the mad competition for each consumer's dollar. Now's the time to buy people! :D
  8. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    HMV has a uni discount? I didn't know that. How does it work?
  9. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Just flash a student ID (preferably your own) and you'll get a little yellow card that says you get 10% off anything you buy. But you'll still have to show your ID anyway.

I find it funny that even with the discount it's still more expensive there than at Kmart at full price.
  10. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'll have to remember that.

But I don't shop there very often at all, because as you say, they're way too expensive. I bought by Special Edition soundtracks there because they were way cheaper than anywhere else I saw them, but their DVDs are way over priced.
  11. Nyder Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't buy from HMV, BigBossNass, they'll rip you off!

I HAVE LOTR SE
    I HAVE AOTC
    I HAVE LOTR SE
    I HAVE AOTC

:D

All on DVD... :D
  12. Ki-Bara-Mundi Force Ghost

star 6
    Wow, I purposely stayed away from this thread before watching FOTR-SEE because I thought people would be talking spoilers about the added stuff. Now I read it and all there is is talk about prices and Sil explaining the two different SEE versions available to the most simplest of minds. ;)

I love the extended movie. I agree with all the additions. One small scene that I didn't really like was the bit outside Lothlorien where the fellowship are denied entry. It seemed to stop the movie. And the colour gradient was sort of out of place, but that's probably because it's supposed to be night and some time has passed since they first find the elves.

The way that the first disc ends is excellent, they did a good job of splitting the movie in two. I used the intermission to get food. ;)

So far I've only seen the movie, the director & writter commentary, the cast commentary, the MTV movie awards easter egg, and the National Geographic disc. I haven't touched the appendicies, and I won't get to them until I watch the rest of the commentaries. There's so much to see and I doubt I'll get bored of it. Can't wait for the next two SEE DVDs. :D
  13. Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA

star 6
    And the colour gradient was sort of out of place, but that's probably because it's supposed to be night and some time has passed since they first find the elves.

That scene was one of the first shot. You can tell because Legolas' costume is different (they ended up using another one) and Gimli's make up isn't right either.
  14. Ki-Bara-Mundi Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah I heard that on the commentary track. That made it harder to see the differences. :)

The cast commentary was great, especially how they were talking about the games they made up to pass the time. "You can't double tig on a tag!". [face_laugh]
  15. mauls-menace Force Ghost

star 4
    CCD - from what I've heard DVD is the big thing this christmas so stores are sacrificing profit to get people into there stores. Presumably in the hope that they'll buy lots of other stuff too. :D

16. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I had a listen to the Cast commentary and was really amazed by how much Lee and Bloom really are into and got into the books.

Anyway, I don't usually listen to commentaries, this one of only a very few that have kept my attention. Kevin Smith on Jay and Silent Bob is probably the most funny, but I'm imagining the Jackson one on FOTR will be a tad more informative. I'll give it a listen to when I get the DVD player back from the repair shop. :(
  17. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The cast commentary is awesome. The 4 hobbits are just hillarious. Billy and Dom (Pippin and Merry) esspecially. I loved their description of the game they made up called "tig." :D
  18. Nyder Jedi Master

star 4
    Peter Jacksons commentary with the writers is pretty good especially how he contrasts scenes with the book........

Also it's funny how they mention his cameo where he's holding a carrot :D
  19. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, PJ's commentary was really interesting as well. I haven't listened to the other 2 ones yet.

And yeah, I spotted the carrot cameo the bery first time I saw the movie in the cinemas. :D
  20. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Don't buy from HMV, BigBossNass, they'll rip you off!

Nyder, you want me to tear you a new one? :mad:

E_S
  21. Otter Force Ghost

star 4
    I've just had teh chance to borrow it from one of my students, I have a copy of my own waiting back home in Oz but it'll be a while before I can see it.

I really liked the added material and though it really rounded out the film. I only have two complaints... (I hate to make any really, but...)

In the prologue when Isuldur enters the water there is no splash (and I also don't really get why he didn't stay and fight, he was a hero after all who had just "slain" the darkest of them all).

And with the end sequence being extended, the change in music wasn't as affecting as the original during Boromir's pincushioning. I liked the percussion in the original cut.

My two cents, and thanks for the heads up about the easter eggs.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.