Lord of the Rings music... Gosh, I love it!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Oct 28, 2001.

Moderators: Seagoat
  1. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    SWEET MAN! Thanks! \\heads over\\
  2. Sith_Hologram Jedi Youngling

star 1
  3. darth_rebelscum Jedi Youngling

star 4

Are they going to come out with a longer version?

Why Enya ?!?
  4. Adakin Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Enya because of the Celtic connection to the source material.
    There are no plans for a longer version yet.....
    It will really depend on how it sells though.
    Don't be suprised if it comes about when the Two Towers comes out next year.
  5. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Hmmm, I'm seeing the movie at a Friday matinee with my 3 best friends and bro, I'll be sure to make comments later about the movie. :)
  6. Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point

VIP
    star 3
    I'm hoping to make it Wednesday night. Here in the wilds of Montana, they still don't sell tickets in advance.

At least the weather's supposed to be decent for standing in line!
  7. Sith_Hologram Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I got an advanced ticket to opening day. Its gonna be pretty cool.
  8. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I've got advanced tickets too, but they're for Friday night. That way, I don't have to worry about school the next day! w00t!
  9. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Awright, I saw it last night and I REALLY like what I heard.
    -The "Hobbit Theme" as I call it, ROCKED! I love it! One of the coolest themes I heard! It's just perfect for hobbits.
    -Ooo, then there's the "Isengard" or "Orthanc" Theme, as I call it. I liked it. I suits the Uruk-Hai very well. Love it!
    -Then there's my favorite theme: The "Fellowhsip" theme! It's been stuck in my head ever since I saw the movie! THE BEST THEME IN THE WHOLE MOVIE! w00t!

Could anyone pick out any other themes? I could only pick out these 3.

P.S. Only 3 days till I get the soundtrack (I think and hope :D )
  10. FutureEmperor Jedi Master

star 3
    There's what I'd call the Nazgul(Black Rider) theme, with the choir singing. There's a BRIEF but beautiful appearance of a mournful song after they leave Moria(i wont say what)

Another brief but good theme is passing by the Argonath(huge statues) I think one that sounds really haunting is the Olorin theme in Lorien. Once again, won't get into what Olorin is, as that's a spoiler:)
  11. DarthBane93 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    LOTR music isnt as good as OT music.

Sorry...its not. Other than Duel of the Fates in TPM, LOTR soundtrack was better than TPM's (except DOTF).

But if we are to compare John William's work (in the OT) to whomever did FOTR, William's comes out on top.

I guarentee that no LOTR music will become part of our pop culture. It wont be heard at gaming events (SW main theme, Imperial March), it wont be used as parody music (Imperial March in the Simpson's), and you wont find as many people humming it to themselves as easily as SW music does.

I did think LOTR music was alright, but if it even gets an oscar nom, I will be flabergasted.
  12. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Hmmm, FutureEmperor, I think I *do* remember some sort of Nazgul Theme. Well, I'm hopefully going to get the soundtrack tonight (Merry Christmas!) and I'll be seeing the movie again later this week or weekend! I'll see if I can pick it out.

Oh, and yes, I love wailing choir peace after they leave Moria! It's so sad, yet, peaceful. :) Love it!
  13. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    (I knew it was a good idea to look into the music forum again after a loooong time)

Of course, I got interested in the FotR-Score. I downloaded the whole score in a streamy quality, listened to it once or twice, and ordered it at amazon. While I then could not memorize the Fellowship-Theme, I loved The Bridge of Khazad-Dûm and The BReaking of the Fellowship, I just loved them.
    Then the Score came to me, two weeks before the movie came out, and it was a good companion to my way to work, but had to share its place in my playlist with Metallica and Apocalyptica.
    Then, Wednesday evening, 19th of December I was one of the lucky guys who were to see the movie (with two nice girls with me ;)). The Movie rocked the house, I was more than blown away, the girl next to me was almost scared to death - you know what she said, when the stairs in Moria broke away? "Oh my, this music" was her scared comment! Now, THAT is a sign to a good flick and good music fitting to it, don't'ya think? ;)
    From then on The FotR-Score ruled my Playlist and boomed through my surround-speakers all the day.
    And even louder after I saw FotR the second time on Saturday. First in DTS, Saturday in THX, wow! Howard Shore surely knew what he did. I did not know that guy before, but know he earned a place in my knowledge!

And by now I always sing the choir-peace of The Bridge of Khazad-Dûm!
    That track is more dramatic than DotF.
    If it's better than SW ... well, we'll speak each other again in 2005
  14. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I just got the FotR soundtrack yesterday for Christmas! YAY! You know what music I loved in the movie theater, but cannot get enough of now that I own the CD? The music at the end of "A Journey in the Dark", when the orcs are hacking into the door and the fellow ship is standing there, waiting, while Aragorn and Legolas shoot arrows. It's kind of a tense string piece with a puncuated horn motif thing. LOVE IT!

Oooh, and I can now definitely pick out the Nazgul Theme now! Very cool! "A Knife in the Dark" (Weathertop) REALLY gets me going! I LOVE that music!
  15. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Speaking of the Journey in the Dark
    The end of the track heavily remembers me on that piece from Braveheart where they run into the Irishmen at Falkirk
  16. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master

star 5
    I haven't been able to stop listening to LOTR since I got it yesterday. I LOVE the main theme and the Fellowship theme especially much. Good stuff! :D
  17. FutureEmperor Jedi Master

star 3
    Is the Breaking of the Fellowship, especially the first two minutes and last two minutes, as heartbreaking for anyone else as it is for me? It's an absolutly perfectly handled piece of music for that point in the film.

I was walking around today with my CD player, feeling contemplative, looking at the way the sun broke through the clouds and basked the land in light. Yet I was sad. I don't know, I love that track.

Also great is how Shore and PJ worked together to perfect the sense of anticipation and build up to the Balrog confrontation. Of course, the music when they exit Moria is perfect. My mother, who did not enjoy the score as I did, stopped in silence when walking into my room when it was playing. She always asks "what's this from?" if she likes a piece.
  18. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    "The music when they exit Moria." Are you talking about the end of "A Journey in the Dark", or the whole "The Bridge of Khazad-Dum" track? Either way, both ROCK!

BTW, someone above mentioned the "Main Theme", what would that be? I can pick out The Hobbit Theme (EXAMPLE: Track 2 or beginning track 5) , The Fellowship Theme (EXAMPLE: First thing played on "The Bridge of Khazad-Dum" track) , The Nazgul Theme (EXAMPLE: The first minute or so of track 7), and The Isengard or Orthanc Theme (EXAMPLE: Second half of track 7). But what would the "Main Theme" be (and could you give an example of it)?
  19. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master

star 5
    I would call the "Main Theme" the "Hobbit's Theme" as you called it. It is heard at all the most dramatic points in the score and film and is even sung with words by a boy soloist in the "Breaking of the Fellowship" track. It's a great theme. :D
  20. Darth_Playa Jedi Youngling

star 2

I got this for Christmas and I love it! :)
  21. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
  22. Darthkarma Jedi Padawan

star 4

I've been a huge John Williams fan all of my life, but I must praise Howard Shore for a truly magnificent score for LOTR.

This score will lift Mr. Shore's career to a whole new level, alongside John Williams, James Horner and Hans Zimmer as one of the pre-imminent composers of our time.

Since I can't go see LOTR everyday, I get a daily dose by listening to the score. I've been listening to it for days and it gets
    better with each listen. My favorite tracks are

1. Concerning Hobbits
    2. The Council of Elrond
    3. The Ring Goes South
    4. The Bridge of Khazzad Dum
    and last, but certainly not least,
    5. The Breaking of the Fellowship
    The last track beautifully captures the conflicting emotions and anguish and wrenching situations at the end of the film. As the credits begin, the song sang by the young boy sounds almost angelic in his wistfulness for more peaceful times.
    The lyrics are simple but beautiful.

I've seen the movie four times already...and guess what I've discovered...there's room in my life for TWO great sagas!
  23. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    "As the credits begin, the song sang by the young boy sounds almost angelic in his wistfulness for more peaceful times."
    Actually, it's a woman signing it. Her name being Enya.

My favorite tracks would be:

2. Concerning Hobbits

7. A Knife in the Dark (We get both the Nazgul Theme and the Isengard Theme in one track!)

12. A Journey in the Dark (the end of this track ROCKS!)

13. The Bridge of Khazad-Dum (Wow, wow, wow, wow. [face_shocked] )

17. The Breaking of the Fellowship
  24. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    "As the credits begin, the song sang by the young boy sounds almost angelic in his wistfulness for more peaceful times."
    Actually, it's a woman signing it. Her name being Enya.

He means "In Dreams" performed by Edward Ross
    "when the cold of winter comes, starless night will cover day"
    comes after May it Be in the credits of the film, but is included in Breaking o.t. Fellowship on the CD
  25. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Oh yah! I'm sorry! I totally forgot about that! [face_blush]
Moderators: Seagoat