main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lord of the Rings music... Gosh, I love it!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I've actually become a huge fan of cues I did not expect to, such as "The Dreams of Trees" and "Ugluk's Warriors".

And Treebeard's music, which I initially wasn't too keen on, is now some of my favorite music from the score.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    What is The Dreams of Trees from in the film anyway?

3. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    It plays when Treebeard is carrying Merry and Pippin into the forest while they fall asleep listening to his poetry. It's right after the entire "Gandalf the White" sequence.

4. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    other than what John Williamas has done for Star Wars Shore is one of the best out there really is no other better sound track performance other that maybe James Horner who scored the music to Braveheart and the other two who I cannot remember right now who scored the music to Last of the Mohicans. Brad Fiedel was also great in well looping more than writing score for the Terminator I and II movies.

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    *hands Master_EdgeCrusher a punctuation kit*

6. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    yeah I know I have problems with runon sentences and phrases that need semi colons, but oh well

7. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    Syncing the Unused music to film: (part one)

Until such time as I have access to the techology neccessary to make my own isolated score + subtitles version of the film, I'm stuck trying to manually line up the unused cues with the visuals. It may not be exact to the smallest fractions of a second, but I can get close enough.

My setup for this is a computer with a DVD drive and iTunes...it should be possible to do this with less than that, but it'd be trickier...

Unless otherwise noted, all DVD timestamps are from the Region1 EE.

Glamdring/Foundations of Stone (Disc One, Track One; OST Track One)

In the film, the first choral outburst of "Mettana!" ("To the Death!") is dialed out. It would have gone between "Fly you fools!" and Gandalf's fall. Cut, almost certainly, so as not to overpower Frodo yelling "No!"

Timings:
    2:32_2:35, for both film and CD.

Elven Rope (Disc One, Track Two)

In the film, the scene following the Elven Rope sequence where Sam and Frodo come up a rise and into sight of Mordor is scored with a tracked rendition of the Evil Times motif (FOTR:CR:"The Nazgul", 5:10_5:26). Shore's original composition used a weary statement of the Shire theme.

The timings:
    On the CD: 1:10_1:26

On The DVD: 6:05_6:21

Note: The unused section has to start a couple seconds before the tracked piece does in order to sync with the film...right after Frodo says "Real Elven rope."

Lost in Emyn Muil/The Taming of Smeagol (Disc One, Track Three; OST Track Two)

The unused choral piece is an excerpt from a cue written for an earlier cut of the scene. It's included here because Shore likes it a lot; the full piece will probably be included on the forthcoming "rarities disc".

CD: 1:26_2:07/0:26_1:07

Ugluk's Warriors (Disc One, Track Five)

In the film, a choral passage intended to underscore the Uruks resuming their march was cut, though the instrumentals remain.

CD: 1:26-1:41

DVD: 16:50_17:05

The Three Hunters (Disc One, Track Six)

In the film, the establishing shots of Isengard are unscored, the music written for that section uses the Isengard Five-Beat.

CD: 2:06_2:22

DVD: 19:12_19:28

Night Camp (Disc One, Track Eight)

In the film, the attack on the Orc camp uses music tracked from a couple other different places in the film, on the CR Shore's original cacophony of percussion, trumpets, and aleatory French Horns is restored.

CD: 2:14_2:50

DVD: 30:54_31:26

Fangorn (Disc One, Track Ten)

In this case, what was written as a single piece was edited quite a bit in the film, but in its original form can be played uninterrupted in conjunction with the visuals and still fit.

In the film, the opening 45 seconds that build as Aragorn begins to track the hobbits are cut. The short action piece as they run to the edge of Fangorn is intact. The marimba rendition of the Ent theme as the scene moves into the forest is cut, although the strings underneath remain in the film, as does the music for the subsequent chase sequence. Treebeard's awakening, underscored by a reiteration of the same figure heard as they reached the edge of the forest, is replaced by music tracked in from Weathertop. The bassoon solo as Treebeard carries the hobbits is not present; the final tense percussive phrases as he places them before the White Wizard are used in the film.

CD: 0:00_5:13

DVD: 36:32_41:45

More to come....

ttbk

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Funnily enough I really didn't like the end of Night Camp when I first heard the track. Now I find out that this music isn't even in the film. Prolly why I didn't like what I heard.

9. PadmeLover1991

PadmeLover1991 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    LoTR TTT: CR out today in the UK. Getting my copy for christmas mind :(

The set is already fully sold out on Play.com

10. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    You're right, "Glamdring" isn't very Tolkienish AT ALL!:p
    Just kidding of course, I found it a little strange that that entire piece was named after Gandalf's sword too.

Great score of course, but anyone in here yappin' about it knows that!
    Just wanted to say I noticed Strilo and another talking about the price...
    You have to not only account for the price of the discs (3 cds and 1 dvd) but also the elaborate packageing as well.... I mean how many cd''s do you buy that are decked out with that kind of box, cd/dvd case and most of all the booklet with EXTENSIVE linear notes?
    Not many, unless it's a box set, which well, let's face it, this is.... and well they're rarely cheap.

The thing is cd's cost about $1.00 (if not cheaper) to manufacture, so no matter how you look at it, buying a single disc with little to no linear notes (a la most film scores and contemperary music)is highway robbery anyway and always has been.

So really, $80.00 for this great set of film music isn't THAT bad.:)

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It's horriblely overpriced and I hate the packaging. Just put it in a freakin jewelcase. I have two of these things and both of them had messed up packaging. Not worth it. Hate the paper cases and I always will.

12. JMN77

Sep 19, 2005
    Sorry... didn't mean to touch a nerve man.
    I guess I haven't had any messed up cases because I just drive to the record store and purchase mine.... When stuff is shipped, it's barely cared for.
    I couldn't possibly wait for it to be delivered anyway!

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah I tried to drive to a record store and buy one. Actually I drove to like 10. No one has it. I had to order from Amazon. And the issues with the packaging were defects by the manufacturer, not damage in shipping.

14. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    mine hasn't been shipped yet :_|
    but I think it's actually the DVD I ordered it along with that slows it down (despite an identical release date) [face_frustrated]

15. JMN77

Sep 19, 2005
    That stinks big time.
    er, that does too.

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Welcome to my world.

17. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    It finally arrived today!

I'll have to agree with the thread title: Gosh, I love it!
    Some things are too crazy (a whole lot more than, say, Shelob's Lair [face_whistling]) and aren't all that great on their own.
    I said before that I can't really think of anything I really really want that wasn't on the OST (except two or three little things) and it's still largely true. Most of the important stuff we already had, if edited.
    However, this CR surprised me with its large number of absolutely wonderful little cues. Most of them I never noticed much in the film (Nature Theme in Night Camp!?), so I neither missed them before nor expected them now. Some are brilliant, some are pure genius.

And the whole battle is so much better now.

The book that came with it and the annotated score online were also highly interesting (even though a third of what they described went completely over my head :p)

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    This is so three weeks ago. I am over it.

19. PadmeLover1991

Mar 22, 2005
    I thought as this is a solely LotR based discussion thread I thought I might as well post this question here.

On the LotR TTT soundtrack, one disc edition released in 2002, all the music was moved around and almost nothing was in the correct order. I was just listening to "The White Rider" on said CD and was wondering what the piece of music running upto about 1 minute in was used for in the film? I mean like what scene was it used in?

20. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    That is played in the scene where Gandalf confronts the possessed-by-Saruman King Theoden in the Golden Hall.

21. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

Sep 2, 2004
    Yes. Up to 0:40 is an edit of that scene; the choral section is about ten seconds longer in the film and CR. The rest of the track is from Shadowfax's arrival at the edge of Fangorn, with an alternate section from 1:01_2:00.

ttbk

22. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

Sep 2, 2004
    Disc One (continued):

The Dead Marshes (Disc One, Track Eleven
    CR: 3:11_5:08
    EE: 46:22_48:19

In the film, the music leading up to the unused section has a different mix than the CR, but is still present. The unused music, starts at 3:11 with a blast of deep brass -- familiar from the OST -- as Frodo falls into the water. The half spoken, half sung choral passage is heard as he is surrounded by the ghosts....another jolting explosion of brass is heard as Gollum pulls him out. The History of the Ring is partially stated as Frodo strokes the Ring later that night. More of the aleatory device related to the Dead Marshes and partial brass hints at Gollum's Pity are heard as Frodo hears Gollum lamenting the loss of his precious.

Wraiths on Wings (Disc One, Track Twelve)
    CR: 0:31_2:07
    EE: 49:04_50:39

The film version is the same length as the original composition, but is edited a bit; the Wraith theme isn't developed as fully, and some of the choir is toned down. I have no idea why it was edited, as the cue, as written and recorded, is scary as hell...or Mordor, rather.

Gandalf the White (Disc One, Track Thirteen)
    CR: 0:00_4:26
    TE: 41:15_45:40

Due to the additions to this scene for the EE, the original composition can only be synced to the TE.

Most, but not all of the first 34 seconds -- which utilizes the Ent/Fangorn motif as the Three Hunters make their way through the trees -- is ued in the film. Note: to sync it you have to start the CD track as soon as the scene shifts to Fangorn, not the point where the music fades in during the film.

The slow musical build from 0:35_1:35 is not in the film, and is replaced by sound effects and the tracked statement of the Ent motif.

1:35_2:31 is in the film, as Gandalf is revealed to the Three Hunters.

The brass and timpani of 2:31_2:52 accompany the end of Gandalf's fight with the balrog, the choral excerpt from "The Fight" is heard as Gandalf plunges his sword into it and vanquishes it.

2:53_3:50 is also unused in the film. Deep brass, accompanied by a busy texture of violins and woodwind arpeggios underscores the balrog's fall and Gandalf's death. A flutter of woodwinds at 3:15 moves the scene to his journey through time and space, and 3:30 he returns to life. The scene shifts back to Fangorn...the CD track will be in sync till they reach the edge of the forest and Gandalf calls for Shadowfax.

The White Rider (OST)
    CD: 0:40_2:28
    TE: 45:19_47:06

The OST has an alternate version of the music for Shadowfax's appearance. This earlier draft opens with a horn passage when Gandalf whistles for his steed (in the final version, this brief section is left unscored), and the choral piece begins with a greater emphasis on the female voices, and has string arpeggios (that are reprised in "Forth Eorlingas") instead of horns.

Again, it syncs better with the TE, the cue starts at 0:40 on the track, and lines up with Gimli saying "Gandalf." The unused section of the track is 1:01_2:00.

Olorin Revealed (Fan Credits)
    EE2: 2:04:33_4:55
    0:00_0:24
    TE: 43:24_43:48

The unused cue for the balrog fight is in the fan credits, and it has yet another alternate; the begining of it is Shore's original concept for Gandalf stepping out of the light and revealing himself to the Three Hunters. It opens with a short horn call, then moves into a setting of "The Fight". It's a bit on the heavy side, and was replaced after someone in the editing room experimented with using the choral triplets -- that utilize both "The Fight" and "The Call" -- Shore had already written for Gandalf's appearance at Helm's Deep. The more mystical feel of it apparently fit the scene, so Shore rewrote it, and incorporated the triplets, and by using the motive twice, created the White Rider (in Nature) theme.

"The Fight" is another motif relating to Gandalf's spiritual presence in Middl

23. PadmeLover1991

Mar 22, 2005
    Thanks very much The Tennis Ball Kid and Darth Vader Anakin. I was thinking that but wasn't sure. I never realised how mixed up and edited the original soundtrack was. I thought it was a bit weird that a whole piece of music from a scene was split up into two parts and put into tracks which are two or three apart.

24. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I love this soundtrack.

My favorite track on the whole thing is The Breach of the Deeping Wall!

25. Jedi_Veancawen

Jedi_Veancawen Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2004
    I love the Lord of the Rings Soundtracks. My favourite track on all of them would definitely have to be Return of the King or Breaching the Deep Wall.