main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lord of the Rings music... Gosh, I love it!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Oct 28, 2001.

1. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    watching the movies, i really dont know the name of it, i guess its just the main theme.
    it plays all the time, if i can remember:

lotr 2: when the "3 musketeers" aragorn, gimli, legolas are running on foot to find merry and pippin, while the camera sweeps past them all and you can see the background pretty good.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    That is the Fellowship theme.

3. PadmeLover1991

PadmeLover1991 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    Got my copy of Lotr TTT CR today, can't wait to listen to it.

4. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    Any news on when the ROTK EE soundtrack is coming out? If I'm going to spend all that money on a LOTR score, its gotta be on the best.

Can't wait to hear 'for Frodo', and the music when Gollum attacks Frodo and Sam on the slopes of Mount Doom, and the extended version of: 'The End of all things.'

Legendary score!

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Prolly Fall 2007.

6. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    War is Upon Us (Disc Three, Track Two)

Three forlorn trumpet calls are woven into this composition as Theoden and the Three Hunters make their rounds of the battlements. When playing the cue against the film, the first call sounds over the long shot of Helm's Depp and Theoden's line "They will break upon this fortress as water on rock." (47:35) -- this is also where we first hear a trumpet in the film, but in the film it's the trumpet call from 1:15, which has been edited in early, along with the ending of the cue. The place where the cue fades out the film is the same place as where the second trumpet call would have gone, as Theoden begins to say "Within these walls..." Originally the cue would have faded out as Theoden says "What would you have me do?"

What is heard in the film:
    CR: 0:00_1:00_1:15_1:30
    EE: 46:33_47:50

As written:
    CR: 0:00_1:30
    EE: 46:33_48:03

Where is the Horse and the Rider? (Disc Three, Track Three)
    CR: 4:31_5:04
    EE: 56:44_56:17

These low strings, intended to underscore Aragorn's conversation with Haleth, were not used in the film.

The Host of the Eldar (Disc Three, Track Four)
    CR: 1:03_1:09
    EE: 59:47_59:53

This brief reprise of the Fellowship theme as the Elven archers stand at attention was cut as part of a creative decision to have the melody be associated exclusively with members of the Fellowship.

The Host of the Eldar (Disc Three, Track Four)
    CR: 2:43_2:50
    EE: 1:02:40_2:47

These two chords were not used in the film, they would have been heard after Legolas asks Gimli if he wants a box....

Master Peregin's Plan (Disc Three, Track 9)
    CR: 1:54_2:19
    EE: 1:21:24_21:49

As intended, this dark brass and strings passage would have been heard as Treebeard looks over the destroyed forest.

The Last March of the Ents(Disc Three, Track 10)
    CR: 1:42_2:09
    EE: 1:24:16_24:44

Replaced in the film by the "Ring noise", these droning strings that threaten to turn into the Seduction theme would have been heard as Sam tries encourage Frodo after they have been taken to Osgiliath.

CR: 2:09_2:31
    EE: 1:24:53_25:15

This solo clarinet variation on the hobbit material would have underscored Sam's indignant speech to Faramir about how his brother died.

The Nazgul Attack(Disc Three, Track 11)
    CR: 1:21_2:45
    EE: 1:27:17_28:41

The unused portion of the cue starts after Theoden says "What can men do against such reckless hate?". A militaristic drumbeat begins under the horn writing as Aragorn urges him to ride out. Then, as Gimli calls attention to the coming of dawn, and Gandalf's promise to return is recalled, the White Rider (in Nature) theme returns. This time the rapid choral triplets are at the forefront, and they increase in intensity, leading to a crescendo that cuts out before Gimli blows the horn. (note: the choir fades under the horn call. If this had been used in the film, I imagine it would have been edited)

The film, of course, uses a tracked in renditiom of The Reclamation of Nature from "The Last March of The Ents", which was the result of a decision by the filmmakers to emphasize the dramatic connection between Treebeard and Theoden's decisions to fight, as opposed to Shore's original composition -- heard here -- which highlights Gandalf's part in this, as the bringer of aid.

Theoden Rides Forth/Forth Eorlingas(OST, Track 16)
    OST: 1:41_46
    CR: 0:41_46

The original CD release contains an alternate for Gandalf's appearance atop the hill: it does not have the choral outburst of "Sceadufæx!". The reasons for this are unknown....perhaps the choral overlay had not been recorded in time to put it on the CD.

At this point I will note that the EE fancredits scroll has another alternate version of "Forth Eorlingas"(2:00:00-2:02:06) , sans both the cry of "Sceadufæx!" and Ben Del Maestro's solo as they ride down the hill. It sounds incomplete, but it is interesting to hear some of the details from underneath the solo.

Theoden Rides Forth (Disc Three, Track 12)
    CR: 3:34_3:56
    EE

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Hey did you guys know that in addition to doing "May It Be" and "Aniron" for Lord of the Rings, Enya also has her own song called "Lothlorien"?

8. rogrdashrubber

rogrdashrubber Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2005
    Yeah, I've heard Enya's Lothlorien. I was really confused when I first heard it, because after hearing it I was really confused as to why it wasn't on the soundtrack or in the movie. I later realized that it was just an independant piece. But, it is a nice little piece of music. Has a very..enchanting quality to it

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well yeah it's from 1991. Long before the films.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    So we should be hearing some news about the ROTK: CR in the near future, don't you guys think?

11. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    argh, here I was, hoping you'd have some news

eh, but it'll probably late and expensive here again

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well the TTT one was announced in April 2006, so... I wonder why we haven't heard anything on the ROTK one yet.

13. PadmeLover1991

PadmeLover1991 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    I remember back in 2006 they said that this one would be 4 discs and 2 DVD-A discs, so maybe its because there is more to set up and plan before going into production this time round. Theres at least 4 hours of music here including unreleased material so its going to take more work, I'd think.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It won't be THAT much more work. It's not that much longer than the previous two scores.

15. CrashDavis

CrashDavis Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2005
    Heh, I just recently bought the extended edition DVD's. That should keep me occupied until RotK:CR is released. ;)

Also, I don't know if anyone read this interview with Howard Shore. It's an interview from last year, in which he states that RotK:CR will be released "sometime next year" (2007.) That's all I could find.

16. Crash_Davis

Crash_Davis Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2006
    Sorry about the double post! [face_blush]

For all of you out there who live in the Greater Cleveland area, the Lord of the Rings Symphony is coming to the Blossom Music Center on Saturday, July 21, at 9:00 p.m.

You can check it out here.

I'm going to try my best to see if I can go! :)

17. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

Sep 2, 2004
    So did you go?

I'll be attending the September 28th performance in Cincinnati.

There hasn't been any official word on a release date for ROTK yet, but we do know that it'll be around 4.5 hours (around an hour more music than is in the extended cut of the film...), and take up four CDs. I think it's safe to guess that, like the first two, it'll come out in November or December, there'll be a press release in September, the release date will be slightly delayed for some reason, and it'll be really, really awesome.

I can't wait!

ttbk

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah but we should have heard something months ago...

19. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    Oh, wow. I didn't know it would be in Cincinnati. I'll be there for sure!

20. Crash_Davis

Crash_Davis Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2006
    Unfortunately, I couldn't make it. My wife works third shift at the hospital on weekends (Friday and Saturday), and I couldn't find a babysitter.

I'm patiently awaiting the ROTK CS as well. I just recently purchased the EE DVDs, so those will keep my occupied for the time being!

21. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

Sep 2, 2004
    Jim Ware has posted several clips of unused music from TTT and FOTR matched to the film on Youtube.

TTT

FOTR

More TTT

More TTT

ttbk

22. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Those clips are really interesting. I see why some worked, but the use of the White Rider In Nature theme at Helm's Deep would've worked better than the tracked Nature's Reclamation theme I think. That theme gives me chills.

Although, I get the feeling that if they hadn't used Nature's Reclamation there, it would never have been associated with Theoden and we wouldn't have the awesome martial versions of it in ROTK.

23. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    That's definitely my take on it.

24. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    I just saw this update from Doug Adams at moviemusic.com's forums. It's about a week old, but it sounds promising:

Hi everyone,

Hey, you didn?t think I?d let the threat slip off the page, did you?

Why the lack of updates recently? Simple? this is the part of the project where the planning and drafts begin to be converted to the first mock-ups. Concept is heading to the physical world? and so for the conceptual people, this is the hurry up and wait period. Though, to be honest, the waiting isn?t going to last much longer.

The liners, which, as you?ll remember, went in to Warners a few weeks back, are due back any day now. The track titles and layouts are all essentially done, though there was a little bit or tweaking as recently as last week.

As of right now, the average number of tracks per disc is 13.5 Yes I know, that?s a ridiculously hazy figure (and the .5 isn?t helping anything!), but I figured maybe it could lead to some fun guessing games! I?ll give you this much of a hint? one disc will feature fewer tracks than the others, though not less music.

Oh, and after a brief perusal of the track titles guesses? I don?t think anyone has nailed one yet, but several have come close.

So that?s the boxed set. The next major deadline is Sept. 7, when the final booklet (including layout edits) is due back at Warners.

In the rest of the post, Doug continued by discussing his follow-up book as well as his thoughts on music in general. It's well-worth reading the whole post.

Link

25. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    Thanks for the update. I'd be counting down the days if we had a release date!