Lord of the Rings music... Gosh, I love it!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Oct 28, 2001.

Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Emperor's Prize Jedi Master

star 4
    I know exactly how you feel. My music collection feels distinctly incomplete without this score. There are some renditions of the Gondor theme that I am particularly looking forward to hearing.

:cool:
  2. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    So we're talking some sort of Oct/Nov release date...
  3. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  4. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
  5. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    We can hope for October though right....?

While we're waiting, which cues are you guys just itching to hear? It's been a while since I've seen the film and I can only think of one cue right off the top of my head. In one of FSM podcasts, they mention that the "Seduction of the Ring" theme gets a climax that was cut out of the final film. That's one of my favorite themes and I can't wait to hear that unused cue. There's also a lot of stuff from the Pelennor Fields battle that I can't wait to hear.
  6. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I am dying to hear things in film order, instead of the almost-Williams-level hacking apart and resequencing we saw on the ROTK OST. ;)
  7. EllenRipley Jedi Knight

star 1
    All the unused stuff. The previous 2 sets were loaded with fantastic music that didn't make the cut. Can't wait to hear the unused RotK stuff for the first time. :)
  8. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    The previous sets had unused music? I thought they just had all the music used in the Extended Editions of the films...
  9. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    TTT has quite a bit of unused music on it. Some of it was just cut because it didn't work, but there's also a fair bit of tracking in the film that replaced the original music. I think the booklet highlights what cues were unused, but I can't be certain. I'm at school right now and only have the mp3s on my computer and am without the books, but I know for sure that "The Forests Of Ithilien" from 2:15 to 2:54 was cut. Is was composed for the moment when Gollum brings the dead rabbits to be cooked, but it was decided that the music was too light and comical for the moment.
  10. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Sure there is some stuff here and there, but 30 seconds here and there in various tracks is not "loads" of unused music. Especially when there IS loads of unused music for LOTR in their vaults. We can only hope for some sort of special trilogy set someday of just unreleased music.
  11. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    No, that's just the only example I can think of off hand. There are some entire tracks that unused/alternates -- I believe the whole sequence when the Wraiths fly over the marshes was tracked from Fellowship and that track is entirely new. But you're right, on the whole, there isn't an abundance of new music, but it's still great to hear.
  12. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    If I remember correctly, the Return of the King set will feature an extra CD devoted to alternative/unused music from all three films - all the stuff the previous sets didn't cover, I guess.
  13. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    I had heard about that, but I thought it was just a rumor. That'd be really nice.
  14. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    That would be really cool.
  15. EllenRipley Jedi Knight

star 1
    A touch hyperbolic of me perhaps but the point stands: Some of the most impressive pieces in the existing sets were not even used in the films, like the wraith flying over the swamps, or the Rohirrim attacking the Uruks at Fangorn, Frodo being stabbed at Weathertop, the "White Rider in Nature" theme at Helm's Deep, etc. I can't wait to hear what similar moments exist for the last score.
  16. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    There are too many moments to mention for me, but the unused/cut music is what I'm most interested in considering we've never heard it before. And hearing the entire Black Gate/Mount Doom sequence will be absolutely incredible.

According to Doug Adams' posts in this thread, there are going to be 4 discs that will cover only ROTK music and then a later "rarities" disc will be released including unused concepts and alternate takes on the music from the films. He's hinted that it may be released with the book he's writing about the three scores.
  17. EllenRipley Jedi Knight

star 1
    10 discs of LotR before we even get to the rarities/alternates! I love it! :)
  18. SithLordVengeance Jedi Padawan

A little update from Mr. Doug Adams.

19. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    :D

For now, I'll hope this wasn't a typing error.
  20. EllenRipley Jedi Knight

star 1
    It does seem like discs are getting mentioned quite often lately. :)

Following the timeline of last year's release, a press release shouldn't be far off now for RotK, should it?
  21. PadmeLover1991 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Announcement

The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King- The Complete Recordings out November 6th!!

5 DISCS

3 HOURS and 50 MINUTES of Music

[face_dancing] =P~ :D
  22. rogrdashrubber Jedi Knight

I wonder what the cost will be....
  23. PadmeLover1991 Jedi Knight

star 1
    It'll probably come out at about £50 here in the UK. Going by the previous two sets and the fact that there is more in this one.
  24. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    great, now I have to wait for it to show up on amazon.de [face_frustrated]
    :p

but many thanks for the news! :D
  25. PadmeLover1991 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Your welcome :D
Moderators: Darth_Nub