main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lord of the Rings music... Gosh, I love it!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I have an observation about a piece of music from the first score. During the track "Parth Galen" at about 6:15 into the track, there's a great piece of music that accompanies Frodo silently telling Merry and Pippin that he's leaving on his own. The chords played during this moment always remind me of Nature's Reclamation.

Does anyone else hear this? It's strikingly similar and I can't really find a strong connection between that moment in the film and that particular theme, aside from how well it works dramatically. Could just be another case of "Leia's theme playing during Obi-Wan's death."

Master_Ysagon likes this.
  2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I always think that, too, but it isn't really, is it? I noticed that, listened to it, hummed the NR theme along and it never quite worked. It seems to suggest it, but in the end comes out different. A bit like only playing every other note of the theme or so o_O

3. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    Yeah, I've noticed that too. While it's not exact, I can almost hear the climax just before it tapers off.

4. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    It seems to me to be just a variation, using bits of the harmony and structure of the Nature theme proper. I just don't really understand its usage there.

5. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    At the begining of the score documentary on disc four of the TTT:EE DVD set there's footage of Shore conducting an alternate composition for that scene that doesn't just hint at the Nature theme, but overtly uses it.

I think it fits in well thematically...Merry and Pippin are willing to sacrifice themselves to save Frodo, just as the Ents are willing to march to their deaths...and Theoden is willing to go to his doom at Minas Tirith...

ttbk

6. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    I hadn't noticed that in the TTT doc, I'll have to check it out. As for your explanation, it only half works for me because you have to look at it from a trilogy-encompassing point of view.

That theme is problematic for me in general. In the first two films it's used primarily for what its name implies: nature taking a stand against the evil, destructive forces in the world. But in ROTK it becomes primarily associated with Theoden. I'm very interested in reading Doug Adams' liner notes on this theme's evolution and Shore's reasoning behind it.

7. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    In case you guys haven't heard, the release date has been pushed back a week to Nov. 13.

8. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I pre-ordered mine from Barnes & Noble yesterday. With my member discount, it was cheaper than at Amazon.

9. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    A quick question to those who preorder things from Amazon.com more than me -- will they ship the set on the 13th or will they ship it before then so that it arrives on the 13th?

10. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    Well, the delivery estimate for mine changed with the new release date, so it says it should be arriving between the 16th and the 19th. But sometimes I get things ahead of what their estimated time frame says so it could be earlier.

11. The_Eye_of_Strilo

The_Eye_of_Strilo Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    Lame.

12. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
  13. rogrdashrubber

rogrdashrubber Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2005
    Awesome, that these sound clips are listed. Strangely though, on disk 4, the 3rd track listed is "The Journey to the Grey Havens"....which is odd, because its placed betweeen "The Crack of Doom" and "The Eagles". Now, correct me if I'm wrong....but don't they go to the havens......after the ring is destroyed and after the eagles rescue Frodo and Sam from Mordor? Hhhmm....

14. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    They're just mislabeled.

15. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    More clips at Scorenotes.com. Just click on the suite, it contains 4 full tracks from the album.

16. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Question:

Is there going to be some super "All 3 soundtracks" release in the near future, or should I go ahead and buy the three individual sets when RotK comes out?

17. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I suggested to a friend to wait for a box-set, which I'm sure is inevitable, but if you can find them easily enough, just get the single releases, as waiting for something that AFAIK hasn't even been hinted at, is awfully... unrealistic?

If you don't want to spend over 150 on scores all at once, get Fellowship now, RotK next month and TTT in December ;) Oh, I remember when I had to wait a month between each SW-SE CD, even though they were readily available, because the 50DM (~$25?) for each score was sooooo much. :D

18. PadmeLover1991

PadmeLover1991 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    Listening to "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields" in full was just awe-inspiring. Sent shivers down my spine, such a beautiful piece of music. It captures the spirit of Rohan and the Rohirrim so perfectly.

From what I heard I guessed that the first track was "The Eagles", the third was "The Crack of Doom" and fouth was "Bilbo's Song" (as you can tell I'm looking at the track list).

Whoever picked these tracks to be played sure knows how to pick emotive music, especially "The Eagles".

19. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    Actually, the third piece was "For Frodo."

The beginning of "The Eagles" has my favorite piece of music from the trilogy. I loved hearing that.

20. Crash_Davis

Crash_Davis Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2006
    It's not very often that music moves me to tears, but this is some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard in my life. Can't wait for the release! :)

21. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I'm playing some LOTR score to greet my trick-or-treaters tonight. Nothing like a little Orthanc or Morgul to spook things up.

22. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    The release date has been pushed back one more week to Nov. 20th. The wildfires in California caused the assembly plant to be shut down temporarily. At least we'll have it before Thanksgiving.

23. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    That sucks.

24. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Speaking of it getting pushed back a week, does anyone know why CDs, DVDs, video games, etc. always come out on Tuesday? Is it an unwritten rule or is there some kind of logical reason behind it?

25. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Not that any of us need to read a review to know how awesome this set will be, but in case you're interested: Review by TrackSounds

More than anything, it just angers me that they have it and I don't. :p