main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lord of the Rings - Oh my god!!! (Possible plot spoilers)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Arun Dale, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    *Poodu enters... still slack jawed and wide-eyed*

2. MomentOfTriumph

MomentOfTriumph Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    //jumping up and down

wernt it good

3. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    Seeing it again on Saturday... *logs onto Odeon website to book tickets now*

Plus... we had Noel Edmonds to laugh at

4. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    I've so got to see this movie.

When was the last time a big film like this lived up to the hype? Has it ever happend? Apart from the OT of course.

5. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    The original trilogy didn't have any hype to live up to... that's why it worked so well.

But this is something else... totally... everything was just perfect!!

6. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    This is the best movie I have seen!!!!

I LOVED IT!

And I fancy Aragorn and Legolas...with a passion!

7. Tanktopgirl

Tanktopgirl Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2001
    Oooh cannae wait...

8. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    it was alright..........

;)

9. AlphaWolf

Feb 27, 2000
    The first film didn't have the hype Sam. ESB and ROTJ did. That's what I mean't. :)

10. MomentOfTriumph

MomentOfTriumph Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    id say it up there with esb as a great great film.

and theres 2 more to come :)

11. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    did anybody else get motion sickness? Every time they went to Saruman's mines I felt like I was on a roller coaster. Except I don't get any kind of notion sickness in normally.

12. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    No, but I was so scared at some points I was squeezing Jon's hand so tight I thought I might cut off the circulation.

That bit where Bilbo wanted to hold the ring and he turned all scary. [face_devil]

13. Beckymonster

Beckymonster Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    I was physically shaking after watching Fellowship.
    I felt like I had been put through the emotional wringer! Admittedly I'm a big softie when it comes to emotional scenes but this film had me in tears at least three times!!

Just a question - even though I have read the books, was I the only one who felt distraught after the Mines of Moria scenes?!

I can't wait for the weekend to see this wonderful film all over again!

14. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    That was freaky.

I loved the wizard fight. That was cool! And the redemption of Boromir was ace! And Elrond was cool... and Gimli was cool... and the Balrog.... it's too much! 3 hours seemed like ten minutes!

15. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    I love the fight scene with the wizards also that was cool :D

16. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    I knew there was something weird about Boromir in the books and didnt like him. But I loved Sean Bean's portrayal. And I loved the redemption. I cried when the Orcs were killing him and when he had his burial in the boat down the waterfall.

17. AlphaWolf

Feb 27, 2000
    They have that in the first film? I guess they might aswell, even though the boat bit doesn't happen until the Two Towers. Wasn't really anypoint in leaving it I guess.

and I knew Boromir was played by Sean Bean before I read it. So it was pretty obvious to me that he would have 'issues'.

18. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    I saw last night and enjoyed it a lot, and it had a great cast, acting, etc, but I practically grew up on the book (my dad used to read it for me at bedtime when I was about 8), so it probably spoiled the film for me since I was sitting there wondering why they left X out and added Y.

The bit I really didn't like was the Fords of Bruinen scene. Instead of having Frodo show exactly what he's made of by defying all nine Nazgul even when he's wounded, they dropped that instead in favour of having Liv Tyler in some gratuituous standoff with the Nazgul. For God's sake, couldn't they have at least kept her with the hobbits and Aragorn to ambush the Nazgul like they do in the book?

19. AlphaWolf

Feb 27, 2000
    I don't like what they've done with Arwen either.

but, I haven't seen it yet so I'll reserve judgement.

Peter Jackson always said that top priority was to make a good movie though. I guess that means a strong female character. Along with Galadriel.

20. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Yeah there were a few things I had issues with...especially the broken sword which is never explained.

But all in all...I cant complain about it.

Alpha...it ends roughly at the end of ch1 in Two Towers.

21. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    The broken sword is the one that Isildur cut the ring from Sauron's hand with. There's a whole sort of prophecy in the book about how Isildur's heir (Aragorn) will again wield the Sword that was Broken.

22. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    I know, thats what I mean. Its not explained in the movie. And Aragorn carries the sword with him but in the movie its at Rivendell on the statue and he's just looking at it when he first meets Boromir.

Unless you KNOW what sword it is (from reading the books) I dont think you connect it to the sword that slayed Sauron.

23. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    The broken sword bit will come in when Aragorn decides to go to Gondor... then they'll explain it, I reckon.

As for Arwen, in the book she was virtually a non-entity. They had to do something with her and I thought it was quite cool what they ended up doing. Gave her character a bit of life.

Cass: The sword is still in Rivendell. It hasn't been reforged yet. That comes later.

24. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Yes but the sword is reforged before they leave Rivendell. I'd like to know how they're gonna get round that...unless they go BACK to Rivendell or if Aragorn is carrying the broken sword with him...or its not going to be mentioned at all and its just brushed over.

25. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I know some kiwi's who were in as elven extras.

How cool is that?

Think about it, if we'd just gone down there they'd have been sure to enlist us, I mean NZ has only, what, 200 people? They would have been desperate!

Hmm

All joking aside I was only really disappointed in Sauron, but I've always been disappointed with Sauron, the pansy.

The Balrog kicked major firey shadow arse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.