main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG Lord of the Rings Opening Day in theatres

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by synchroniz3r, Sep 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. synchroniz3r

synchroniz3r Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2002
    wednesday? jialat.. cannot

2. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Wow. I've borrowed the LOTR books from delta7_interceptor and I'm less than halfway through Fellowship but I really like them. Anyone who hasn't read them yet should. :p

If (that's a big if) we can get the cloth and the costumes done, we'll most probably be joining you guys. :D

Since I don't want to do hobbit, Legolas, Gimli or Boromir; Aragorn a bit complicated, I think (the sword, knife etc.); Ringwraith needs a lot of cloth; Saruman's outfit has a lot of patterns; can't do any armour-related stuff; and I've been told that I should not go as a female character ( :D)...

...how about Gandalf? :D [face_laugh]

[face_laugh]

3. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    JediClare, White or Grey? ;)

Anyhow for the robe, you can recycle it into a Jedi Robe by just adding the hood. ;)

4. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    Hmm...probably Grey. There seem to be more reference pics for Grey than for White. And Grey needs more (fake) hair which can help cover my face because I look nothing like him. :D

Which do you think is easier to do?

5. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Like you said, Grey seems easier. But if you want more accuracy, looking for the fabric may take some time, both at Chinatown or Arab Street and maybe even Spotlight.

Here's the link to the page on the garb.

For the robe, the design is very simple and you can also use arm warmer (can get from Geylang Serai and I got some in White, Light Brown and Black too) for the wrists.
    [image=http://www.numenoreen.com/Images/RivGandalf.jpg]

The cloak is also simple but I think a little tweening is needed to get the triangular piece that goes onto the chest.

For the hat, you could keep a lookout at TRU or other places for the Witches's kind and later sew/glue the fabric of similar color to the robe onto it (or just make a new one and don't forget the interfacing! ;) )

Okay, to it after your exams! :) Maybe you'll get lucky too and your parents will chip in due to good "productivity"? :D

6. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    DE - Thanks :)

The staff might be a bit of a problem... :p

Good 'productivity'? No chance. :p

7. kimbilili-k-s

kimbilili-k-s Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    hm...sounds great. maybe i should go as arwen...do you mind, DE?

8. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    Oh yah...how many people are planning to go in costume? Any people from other cosplaying groups? 'Coz if just a small group of us might be a bit weird... The more the merrier, anyway :D

9. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Kimbilili-k-s, as long as you're not doing the Blood Red Gown from The Two Tower, it's okay. ;)

JediClare, I'm not really sure but who knows with Singaporeans? At the Charity Premiere, Zouk Launching Party and First Day showing of AOTC, there are other people dressed up in SW Costumes so why not with LORT:TTT? But I'll try to be kapoh and ask around at the Cosplaying ML or Boards. :D

10. delta7_interceptor

delta7_interceptor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2002
    Oh man, exams are like coming up in 4 days and we (Kim, clare and me) are so into the cosplay thing. It totally ruins the mugging mood... :D

haha, anyone have any suggestions on Legolas' bow btw? coz if i cant do that then i'll probably look around for an easier character to do.

11. synchroniz3r

May 31, 2002
    i do know how u could make an excellent nice strong bow but on 2nd thoughts it would better u better not do Legolas. Theres this guy with as long hair as legolas and with the same colour. Hes cosplaying legolas and he looks like a damn elf especially his skin colour. But still im not stopping you :)

If u still persist to seek out the ways of knowledge on how to make your weapon then ask of it again and it shall be bestowed unto you..

P.S Anyone can see im getting into the LoTR mood already..

12. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    Maybe we should all learn Elvish by opening day and on that day we can converse in Elvish. :D

13. L0rd-NyaX

L0rd-NyaX Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2002
    IF can learn i go learn it man.. so kewl...
    anyway val, wad u going us.. ringwraith?

14. synchroniz3r

May 31, 2002
    Eh bloody fish Elvish is friggin hard.. its almost nonsense and jibberish.

And im still deciding what to go as.. prolly as a ringwraith but im still deciding what im going to do about the gauntlets and the leggings. They are metal and i definitely do not know how to make them.

Maybe we all combine and be Treebeard? =X

Anyway what other characters can i cosplay? I'm 1.8m in height and is quite thin. Any idea? Dont recommend me some difficult character like Boromir or Aragorn, and definitely not Frodo. I hate him.. if not for his Sting sword and his Mithril armor i would definitely condemn him to the deepest fires of Mordorrrrrrrr.

Im still currently reading the book and am at the part where they captured Saruman in Orthanc. Was thinking of Gandalf da white but its gonna be tough and i dont look olddddd.

Maybe i will stick to Ringwraith.. but only with the guidance of DE.

P.S got da hint? =X

15. kimbilili-k-s

Jul 9, 2002
    delta7interceptor - maybe you could go as Celeborn. Seriously you could consider it. go buy a cheongsum. :D

DE nah...I'm probably wearing her Chase outfit. The one from The Fellowship of the Ring.

"If you want him, come and claim him."

Arwen's cool. :D

16. delta7_interceptor

May 10, 2002
    Actually, I just want to do it for the kick of doing it u geddit? Not say that I really want to make up until I look totally like legolas (it would be a dream come true though :D ) I mean, as long as I can get the costume to look somewhat like it and be recognised as an elf its all fine for me. I'm easily satisfied :D

synchroniz3r - I seek for help from the wise one and hope that it comesth soon... :D haha, sorry, too much shakespeare... If you can, can u reeli like show me the information for the bow?

Kim - I think he is cool la, budden how to make his necklace?!??!!? Its very intricate, and his "cheongsum" design also not say very easy to duplicate...

17. synchroniz3r

May 31, 2002
    Delta7_Interceptor : Hmm first u gotta get a layout sketch of the shape of the bow from the sides and if possible with measurements. Then go to Ubi Industrial estate, find a carpenter(quite a few in tat area) and ask them to make it for you. Its gonna be quite simple for them and it wouldn't cost u much.

As for the arrows, the tip is the difficult bit. Till now i cant find anything of that size tat resembles a blunt arrow tip.(u dont wanna kill someone)

The bowstring, pls dont use some thread. I've seen it on other peeps bows and it looks real real sucky. Try to use an Elven-hair. (haha kidding this i havent figured out)

U probably need around 10-15 arrows. Thats around how much Legolas carries.. the rest he gets by taking from the dead orcs.

A little bg info, orcs arrows are longer than Elves. :)

18. kimbilili-k-s

Jul 9, 2002
    haiz. necklace...we could always go to the D&T room to make. who knows if they'll let us in. I wouldn't mind doing the costumes there if they did.

19. delta7_interceptor

May 10, 2002
    sybchroniz3r - Waaaa... thanx a lot man, it reeli does help lighten up the burden... :)

Kim - If they reeli would allow us in then i also want to go in and do lor, can use their etching machine as well to do the leather etching...

20. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    How/where do I make/get Gandalf's staff...(and how do I get Glamdring :p it's sold at lordoftheringswords.com but it's pretty expensive, and I'm not allowed to buy stuff online anyway)

delta7_interceptor - Or...I could lend you my Jedi costume and you can go as Radagast the Brown. ;)

21. kimbilili-k-s

Jul 9, 2002
    EEEEEEeeeee...I don't like him.

22. delta7_interceptor

May 10, 2002
    Clare - farnee man, farnee... why dont u save it for urself? I dont think the robe will fit me though... I'm taller than u... :: smirks ::

23. synchroniz3r

May 31, 2002
    go as wormtongue.. hehehehe

24. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    delta7 - Yes, you are sooooo much taller than me -- by the amazing height of 5 centimetres. Anyway someone mentioned on the LOTR_costume YahooGroup that Radagast's robe shouldn't be dragging on the ground, since he associates with animals...and you know where animals do their business.

:D

25. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Synchroniz3r, got any lobang for Clear, colored Acrylic Rod or not? I need it urgently for my MAC Cosplay prop. :D

For the Ringwraith, what you can do about the empty hood is to line the rim of the hood with strong metal wires and the circular part of the hood with shaped Chicken wire (double layers maybe) and strong wires. All this will be covered with another layer of the same fabric (as lining) and attach to somekind of crown you'll wear on your head. For the higher shoulder, create some kind of padding to be worn on both sides of your head. Like the one Kropserkel create, you'll see through the opening of the robe. Fabric, I recommand Black Cheesecloth cause it got that natural uneven pleats on it.

For the armor, well, I have no idea currently cause you'll likely want it to be hardwear. If Softwear, can use silver fabrics sews/glued onto a 13" Satin Glove. If hardwear, use lots of aluminium sheets but I'm not so sure how to put all the plates together (using thin wires maybe?). Guess we should give all those shops that carry real metal Mediaval Armor a long visit.

JediClare, for Gandalf's Staff, you could use a Wooden Dowel (from Saga City or your mop at home etc) as the base and use lots of Scuply (a bit expansive if lots of it) or commercial paper mache (I got a pack I doubt I need) to shape and give the staff all those bumps. Finish it off with finisher after the final coat of color.

Or just pull one off a tree. :D

For the sword, Singapore got 2 shops that has/can bring them in but the price is gonna be much higher and not direct conversion of the actual pricetag.

I check with the shop which offer to do costumes but she asked for SGD300 for each gown and 2 months. :eek: :eek: My max. budget is only half of that for both my Arwen & Adam Kadmon ($150 each) so I'm passing off her offer. :( Back to my usual seamstress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.