main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (Platinum Special Extended Edition)

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by eclips, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    very much the same thing. no matter whether one was assigned such duties or how far off the ride.....(when eomer tell theoden in the ext. ed. that minas tirith is on fire and theoden saying okay we ride through the night how far away do they think they were?????)

Ah! But your argument is about the fact the king was up a mountain, which at the point you're now talking about, they were well on the way to Minas tirith, after waiting in Dunharrow for the mustering of the Rohan.

yep great plan. your escape route is right through the field of battle to ensure that your king really gets away! *insert sarcasm and irony smiley right here!*

Good thing then that the plan was to actually encamp and wait for the muster. How do you think they would have been deployed? Let me tell you the most likely way early warning of enemy advance would have worked at Dunharrow.

The main camp of 6,000 men with their horses on the ground, the bulk of them would be preparing their wargear for the ride into battle. commanders of smaller groups of men would be recieving orders and situation updates from higher up, so they'd be more busy than most with preperations, with other duties spread on a roster system throughout the other ranks.

What other duties? Well, I'm glad you asked.

They would have had sentries set up at points around the camp, with other sentries on higher ground further out, and with horseback patrols in a circular pattern further out than that. We've already seen exapmles of signalling within the Rohirrim, (tolling bells, fires, horns, etc) so those troops would have very early warning, mainly of the scouts ahead of the main force, should their be any on the move to attack them.

How would the king be aware of these theoretical incoming enemy?

Again, I'm glad you asked.

If you'll remember, they were up a hieght, and as many have posted before me, it's so they have a much farther field of vision. Now let's use our imaginations to ponder the fact the smart thing to do is to have lookouts around that camp, you know, looking out, let us also consider they could spot a fire signal, or a flaming arrow fired by somone stationed on high ground further out. In that event, they now have advance knowledge of an incoming enemy force. I'm sure any army like the Rohirrim then have worked out a system involving the passage of information back, horn blows indicating size of force etc.

Now, please, I don't want to hear how they don't show that in the movie. They don't show any toilets either, but we can safely assume that even the Elves have bowel movements from time to time.

Faramir didnt know how many orcs there were attacking osgiliath and therefore he should have tried holding the position without letting them get through. like I said narrow passages where the orcs where landing...... not letting them through cause then you have to wage your battle on 2! fronts.... when they break over the bridge he was lost no doubts there but his actions before that are slightly stupid

Exactly, he didn't know, he didn't know if it was a minor raiding party, a recon patrol, or, as it turned out to be, a full size invasion.
    Likewise, the Orcs had no idea how many men were in that part of the city either. But they made the attack as the vanguard of their full assault anyway.

2. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    Ah! But your argument is about the fact the king was up a mountain, which at the point you're now talking about, they were well on the way to Minas tirith, after waiting in Dunharrow for the mustering of the Rohan.
    we've come to the discussion how far away you set up your guards and scouts (if you read your post a few posts back!) ;)

If you'll remember, they were up a hieght, and as many have posted before me, it's so they have a much farther field of vision. Now let's use our imaginations to ponder the fact the smart thing to do is to have lookouts around that camp, you know, looking out, let us also consider they could spot a fire signal, or a flaming arrow fired by somone stationed on high ground further out. In that event, they now have advance knowledge of an incoming enemy force. I'm sure any army like the Rohirrim then have worked out a system involving the passage of information back, horn blows indicating size of force etc.
    with all that said can you now actually tell me what is suppsed to go AGAINST my saying before????

Likewise, the Orcs had no idea how many men were in that part of the city either. But they made the attack as the vanguard of their full assault anyway.
    well I assume the ALL SEEING EYE knew a bit more abou this stuff than poor old faramir, therefore the orcs had a certain advantage ;)

-Mel

3. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    we've come to the discussion how far away you set up your guards and scouts (if you read your post a few posts back!)

No, no and no. Aragorn came across the Uruks while enroute to Helm's Deep, and quite some distance away, further than any scout or early warning would have been placed.

2 different situations.

with all that said can you now actually tell me what is suppsed to go AGAINST my saying before????

Read your own posts, the way you were saying it was as if they'd have a bunch of orcs teleport into marshmallow toasting distance of the campfires, and Thoeden would take all the time to pack up his tent before heading down the mountain.

well I assume the ALL SEEING EYE knew a bit more abou this stuff than poor old faramir, therefore the orcs had a certain advantage

That they did, and Faramir acted as he read the situation.

4. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    whatever...
    it seems like I cant really bring across what I mean so just forget it....
    thanks anyway..

-Mel

5. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Well, in my opinion, it doesn't seem you're able to grasp what myself, SH and a couple of others are saying.

6. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    okay so I cant grasp your genius understanding of this stuff....
    for me most of what you said sounded rather contradictory and (here comes my new word thanks to you guys!) illogical ;)

-Mel

7. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    It's not genius understanding, there's no need to get uptight.

We've tried to explain things as we see it a few times now, and you keep running us around in circles.

To be honest? It's not really that big a deal anyway. I enjoy the added scenes, I understand what's happening with them and I think it's the film of the year, possibly the decade.

That's all I need.

8. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    for me most of what you said sounded rather contradictory

Rather harsh statement considering you havn't supplied evidence...

9. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    yeah, actually I'm gonna call a PPOR on that...

10. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    Rather harsh statement considering you havn't supplied evidence...
    sorry thats still locked up in the basement. waiting to be dusted for fingerprints :D

whats a PPOR????
    pretty poor objective reasoning????
    photoplasmic organic residue????
    perplexed overreaction????? :D

-Mel

11. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Post proof or retract.

In other words, tell me where I've contradicted myself.

Better yet, seeing as this thread is already starting to derail, why don't we take this up in PMs?

12. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    why dont we just stop that since we dont seem to be on common ground anyway??? besides I dont want to look through all your posts and copy paste all the stuff I think is contradictory ;)

take care and Happy New Year

-Mel

13. mauls-menace

mauls-menace Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Managed to watch this over the last couple of days, the extra bits made the whole trilogy come together a little more, for me. The best bit, for me, in ROTK is "The Mouth of Sauron". Like the extra "Army of the Dead" scenes too.

Still would have liked to have seen The Shire get affected as in the book, but then they would have had to keep Sarumon and Grima alive.

14. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Imo, I don't think the scouring of the shire would have worked on film.

The main villain had been defeated, the world is safe, and some annoyed old powerless guy is running around bossing hobbits.

The running time alone would have had many ppl griping.

15. mauls-menace

mauls-menace Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Actually I hadn't thought about it that way, very true.

16. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    The shire sequence would have only been good in the film if they could work with it to e effective and not a drag on the rest of the film.

Oh, and how does Grima and Saruman die in the book?

17. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Ironically, in the scouring of the shire. When Saruman is defeated at Bag End, he and Grima are sent on their way once more. Grima in a fit of anger springs onto Saruman and slits his throat, and as he tries to run away, before Frodo can say anything, three hobbits shoot him down with arrows. Saruman's form turns to a grey mist, looking towards the West, and then dissipates on a cold wind. This manner of death is somewhat similar to Sauron's destruction in the book also, and to my mind reinforces the argument that the Wizards were Maiar, as Sauron once was: originally of Valinor.

18. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    as Sauron once was: originally of Valinor.

*shudders*
    Damn Simarillion is hard book to read ;)

19. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Here's some interesting news thanks to comingsoon.net:

USA Today spoke with "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy director Peter Jackson on the set of King Kong where he revealed that they still want to develop an Ultimate "Lord of the Rings" DVD Collection.

The set will included the three extended versions (not combined into one film) and likely won't arrive in stores for another two or three years.

"I don't want to add more footage," Jackson says. "There's as much in there as we want. Eventually you are just going to go backward and weaken the films." Instead, he would prefer to simply show the unused deleted scenes and explain why they were cut.

Jackson would also like to include feature-length documentaries, made by longtime associate Costa Botes, on the making of the movies. "There are no commentary or interviews. It's like a reality TV show," Jackson says.

He adds that the bloopers, or "bleepers" as Jackson calls them, would also be a new feature. They were previously only shown to the major cast members as a farewell tribute after they finished filming.

20. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    The blooper reel was also shown at the wrap party for principal photography on 2000.

From what has been descibed to me, I somehow don't think it will ever make a public release without certain things being edited from it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.