main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Lord of the Rings] The Tale of Merry and Estella- Romance/Drama UPDATE 9-16

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by LilyHobbitJedi, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Title: The Tale of Merry and Estella
    Author: LilyHobbitJedi
    Timeframe: Post WOR/ bookverse
    Characters: Estella Bolger, Merry Brandybuck, Pippin Took, Sam Gamgee, Frodo Baggins, ect?
    Genre: Romance/ Drama
    Summary: Little is known at all about the romance between Merry Brandybuck and Estella Bolger. Or the trials they went through on the the path to love and happiness. This is their tale.
    AN: One day when rereading LOTR for the millionth time I became interested in the character of Estella Bolger. Almost nothing is none of her, except that she eventually marries Merry (pardon the pun), and so I decided to give her a story.

Disclaimer: In no way do I own Tolkien's masterpiece, I'm just playing with his creation for a little while.

The Tale of Merry and Estella

Chapter 1

?Hello, can anyone here me?? the voice said rousing a young hobbit lass out of her slumber. What was going on? Who was that yelling? Estella?s throbbing head made it hard for her to concentrate on the pounding feet above her. She had been stuck down here for so long it must be messing with her head she mused. She thought back to when her whole life had changed.

Estella Bolger didn?t have that many complaints in life, she had two loving parents, and a caring brother and she lived in a lovely hole in the Bridgefields district in the small town of Budge Ford. But as content as Estella was in her life, that was all going to change very soon.

It all started when Frodo Baggins announced he was selling his beautiful Bag End to the abominable Sackville-Baggins. Fredegar, Estella?s brother who mostly went by the nickname Fatty went with Merry Brandybuck to set up a home for Frodo in Crickhollow. That very night Estella had woken up in fear to hear the Horn Call of Buckland, meaning something dangerous was afoot.

The following morning Fatty returned home, terrified, yet refusing to give in to his sisters pleadings. Rumors of some tall men wearing dark cloaks and riding black horses kept the Shire buzzing for many days. In addition to that Frodo, his gardener Sam Gamgee, Merry Brandybuck and Pippin Took had also wound up missing without a trace. People guessed, and Fatty even hinted at it, that the four of them had met their fate in the Old Forest. As odd as this disappearance was, it was only the beginning.

Soon many big, rough looking men began to show up in the Shire, doing business with Lotho Sackville-Baggins mostly. As time wore on though a new order rose up in The Shire. Everyone was to give a percentage of their crops to the ?gatherers? and ?sharers?, ruffians who would come around taking food against the hobbits? will.

But the very worst thing that happened was that their beautiful Shire began to look grim, dirty and polluted. Trees were hewn down without care, old holes were replaced with crude metal ones, and the new mill in Hobbiton caused much of the black smoke rising into the sky.

It was too much for Estella to take, she wanted to decry what was happening to her home, and so she did the only thing she thought could help. Estella joined her brother?s rebel band (despite Fatty?s best efforts to get her to reconsider) that was holed up in the Brockenbores in the hills of Scary. They became very efficient at what they did, causing the ruffians much grief. Until of course, they caught.

For what seemed like years, Estella, her brother, and several other hobbits were crammed into the Lockholes in Michel Delving. They had little to drink and eat the whole time, and they were also in a very poorly lit room. This is why Estella thought she was going mad when she heard the voice.

?Hello!? said the voice louder in a more reassuring voice. Estella heard the sound of someone approaching. She listened as the sounds of footsteps drew nearer?..Those didn?t sound like the loud shoes the ruffians all wore, instead it was the soft patter of hobbit feet.

?Help,? she heard Fatty utter. A lantern light moved to where he was, and Estella gasped. It was none other than Frodo Baggins. Was it truly him, the hobbi

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Aww, this is so sweet!! :)

3. PetraKenobi

PetraKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    this sounds great. I'd love to be added to the pm list if you are doing that. :)

4. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Awww, cool! I would like to be on the PM list, please!

5. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    NYCitygurl: Aww, this is so sweet!!

Thank you so much!

PetraKenobi: this sounds great. I'd love to be added to the pm list if you are doing that.

I'm glad you're enjoying this, I would be happy to add you to the pm list.

snowspeeder_gunner: Awww, cool! I would like to be on the PM list, please!

Thank you, I would be happy to add you to the list.

6. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    Characters: Estella Bolger, Merry Brandybuck, Pippin Took, Sam Gamgee, Frodo Baggins, ect?
    Summary: Little is known at all about the romance between Merry Brandybuck and Estella Bolger. Or the trials they went through on the the path to love and happiness. This is their tale.
    AN: Here's the next chapter, I hope you enjoy it.
    Disclaimer: In no way do I own Tolkien's masterpiece, I'm just playing with his creation for a little while.

PM List:
    PetraKenobi
    snowspeeder_gunner

If anyone would like to be added/removed from the list, please let me know.

Chapter 2

Two days later Estella was riding in a carriage on her way to Brandy Hall. Estella would have rather just ridden her pony there, but she had a trunk that would have been hard to transport, so her father arranged for a carriage to take her there.

Fortunately Budge Ford wasn?t all that far from Buckland, so she was there in only a half an hour. Melilot was waiting outside Brandy Hall to greet her, she rushed up and gave Estella a big hug as soon as she had stepped outside of the carriage.

?Estella, it?s so good to see you!? Melilot exclaimed.

?You as well Melilot, I?ve missed you,? Estella replied.

Melilot guided the carriage driver and Estella to the room she would be staying in, and the driver put her trunk there before leaving. The two friends rook a walk through the crowded halls of Brandy Hall, catching up.

?Now Estella, you must tell me everything! I have heard of your captivity in Michel Delving, I was so worried for you my friend,? Melilot stated glancing at Estella.

An hour later Melilot was finally satisfied Estella having told Melilot everything. As Estella now looked a bit saddened, having related the last miserable year to her, Melilot changed the subject at once.

?So Estella, have you had any thoughts to marriage? You are 34 already,? Melilot said.

?Are you forgetting my friend that you are the same age as me? Who do you have eyes for?? Estella replied.

Melilot blushed before answering. ?I asked you first.?

?Well to answer your question no, I have not thought of marriage at all yet, and I currently don?t have eyes for anyone. So who is it that makes you blush Melilot??

Melilot replied with pulling Estella into the library. ?I don?t want anyone to overhear,? she said.

?So who is it?? Estella pried.

?Everard Took,? she replied, her face crimson.

Estella chuckled. ?Well I wish you good luck with him then. Didn?t you dance with him at old Mr. Bilbo?s party all those years ago?? she said.

?Yes, but only for one dance, I don?t think he would remember me? Melilot exclaimed surprised.

?Why wouldn?t he??

?He hasn?t even talked to me since Bilbo?s party,?

?You never cease to amaze me Melilot,?

?And that is why we are best friends Estella,?

?Too, true,?

At this both ladies broke into laughter. ?We really need to spend more time together, the both of us are hopeless cases,? Estella said through her laughter.

?Yes, we do, but anyways, where were we. Oh yes, we already discussed my love life, it?s your turn now,? Melilot said with a smirk. ?There has to be someone you are the slightest bit interested in. You don?t to spend the rest of your days as an old maid.?

"I don?t plan on turning into an old maid, but I have yet to find a lad who strikes my fancy,? Estella declared.

?Then I must simply think of one,? Melilot exclaimed and then began to think. ?What about Mosco Burrows? He?s handsome,?

?Mosco is courting Pimpernel Took,? Estella replied.

?Right, Jolly Cotton??

?I?ll pass,?

?Will Chubb??

?Courting Tulip Boffin,?

?Wait a sec! I know someone who would be perfect for you! I don?t know why I didn?t think of him sooner! My cousin Meriadoc Bradybuck,? Melilot said.

Estella had to laugh at this one, there was no way in this world she would be interested in the Master?s son. He

7. PetraKenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    hmmm, interesting. I bet Estella won't change her mind for a while...lol.

8. snowspeeder_gunner

Apr 10, 2007
    Uh oh, Pansy'd better step off! Hope Estella comes around soon.

Keep it up! (Sorry for not replying soooner)

9. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    PetraKenobi: hmmm, interesting. I bet Estella won't change her mind for a while...lol.

Thanks, I'm sure she won't. [face_laugh]

snowspeeder_gunner: Uh oh, Pansy'd better step off! Hope Estella comes around soon.

Yeah, Pansy is horrible.

Keep it up! (Sorry for not replying soooner)

Thanks, more is coming.

10. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005

PM List:
    PetraKenobi
    snowspeeder_gunner

Chapter 3

The following weeks leading up to the party were thrilling as all of Buckland was excited by the event. They all had so much to be thankful for, and they were ready to celebrate. Melilot and Estella bought some fabric and spent the days sewing new dresses together, discussing the most recent of Buckland news.

Finally the day had arrived and it was once again a glorious day, as so many had been. The party was to take place outside of Brandy Hall. Several large tents had been erected, tables, chairs, and party gifts all were put in place. The cooks of Brandy Hall began to work around the clock making all the best Shire delicacies they could. The band arrived and began setting up their stage. The time had come for the biggest party Buckland had seen in quite some time.

?Estella? Are you done yet?? Melilot called from her sitting room. She had gotten ready faster than Estella, so she had been waiting impatiently on the couch.

?Just a moment,? Estella replied seeing her reflection in the mirror, and frowning slightly. She had been to a party such as this one in such a long time that she hoped she looked alright. Estella wore a light blue colored dress that went down to her toes. She took a deep breathe and stepped out of the door.

?You look nice Estella, the lads will be all over you my friend,? Melilot standing up and heading for the door.

?I doubt that very much. Everard, however will absolutely love you,? Estella replied. This caused Melilot to blush, until she decided to change the subject.

?Well, let?s go then,? Melilot replied making her way out into the hallway. The two joined the crowd exiting Brandy Hall. The minute Estella took a step outside she heard the loud noise of the crowd and the din of the music above all.

Estella and Melilot walked over to the table where Mentha, Fredegar and Merimas were sitting. They had barely sat down when the music stopped, and Saradoc Brandybuck stood from the head table and began to speak.

?I want to welcome you all to our Spring Cotillion! Now we have had these parties in the past, but as you all know this year we have more cause to celebrate than ever before. If it wasn?t for some very brave hobbits, we would still be under the tyranny of the ruffians. Right now I would like us to all have a moment of silence to honor those hobbits who bravely gave their lives in the Battle of Bywater,?

Estella looked down, as the memories of her time in captivity haunted her thoughts. So many had suffered, and all for naught. If the uprising didn?t happen when it did she was afraid to know what would have happened to her had she been in the lockholes much longer.

?And now, I would like to give a toast,? said Saradoc, once again commanding the attention of every hobbit. ?To the great captains of the battle, my nephew Peregrin Took, son of Thain Paladin,? he said turning to glance at Pippin, who looked a little red. Merry just watched in amusement, and glanced at Pippin briefly before turning his attention back to his father, who was sitting between him and his mother Esmeralda.

?And to my son Meriadoc, who I am proud to have as my heir and the next Master of Buckland, cheers!? Saradoc said smiling at his son before drinking his wine. The rest of the hobbits toasted before starting to applaud. ?Now,? Sar

11. PetraKenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    Maybe Merry will come to her aid. :p :D good upate, and thanks for the PM.

12. snowspeeder_gunner

Apr 10, 2007
    Woohoo go Estella! Save that farm girl.

Thanks for the PM and keep up the great work! :D

13. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    PetraKenobi: Maybe Merry will come to her aid. good upate, and thanks for the PM.

Who knows, maybe he will. Thank you!

snowspeeder_gunner: Woohoo go Estella! Save that farm girl.

:D

Thanks for the PM and keep up the great work!

Thank you so much, and you're welcome.

14. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005

PM List:
    PetraKenobi
    snowspeeder_gunner

Chapter 4

The next morning Estella awoke early and right after second breakfast she headed out to the stables. Her pony, Star nickered seeing Estella walk in. Star was all brown except for a white patch on her forehead, where Estella got the name for her pony. Estella scratched Star?s neck as the pony nuzzled Estella affectionately. She mounted Star and set out on the short ride from her home, across the Brandywine Bridge and over to where the Bridge Inn had always been.

When Estella rode up to the Inn she could hear the thud of hammers, and saws. The Bridge Inn was not only being rebuilt, it was also expanded twice the size it had been previously. Estella dismounted Star, and tied her to a tree before walking up to the front door and knocking.

?Just a minute,? drawled a gruff male voice. Estella took and deep breath and waited patiently. The door opened and a very chubby middle aged hobbit stepped out. ?Hullo, how may I be helpin? ya lass?? he asked.

?Sir, I?ve come to ask about a waitress job here,? Estella replied politely.

?Wonderful, have ya waited anywhere else??

?Other than serving my own family, no I haven?t,?

The hobbit looked deep in thought for a moment before he looked up at Estella with a smile. ?Yer in luck lass, I?m feeling charitable today. You have a job, you start tomorrow after elevensies,? he said sternly.

?Thank you so much Mr?.,? she trailed off.

?Mr. Proudfoot, and your name is??

?Estella Bolger,?

?Well I?ll be seeing ya then Estella, good day,? Mr. Proudfoot said turning around to head inside again.

?Farewell sir,? Estella replied and with a smile she turned to go back over to where Star was tethered. She raced home as fast as she could, which didn?t really that that long. She tended to Star in the stable before she burst in the door of her home bursting with happiness.

?Mother, Father, Fred! I have wonderful news!? she exclaimed walking in the kitchen where her family was having lunch. ?I got a job at the Bridge Inn!?

?I?m so proud of you Estella dear?.Fredegar you had better eat that!? Rosamunda said not really paying much attention.

Estella sighed and sat down and filled her plate. She knew it was highly unusual for girls of her social status working in a pub, but the shame it might have would be better than loosing her home to those awful Bracegirdles.

The next day she arrived at the Inn right on time. Besides Estella there were Tulip Chubb, Marigold Smallburrows, Ruby Boffin, and Polly Sandybanks. They all greeted each other politely, but the others all knew each other. Estella didn?t, and she was the only one who had never worked in an inn or pub before.

?Hello lasses, and welcome to the Bridge Inn,? said an older lady walking over to them. ?I am Cora Broadbelt, and you will refer to me as Mrs. Broadbelt. After Mr. Proudfoot, I am your boss. Now ladies follow me, I have much to show you,? Cora said leading them into the newly finished Bridge Inn.

She led them around the dining room all the while explaining what was to be expected of them. First off they received brown aprons with Bridge Inn stitched on it to wear over their dresses. They would each receive a section of a couple tables which would be their responsibility for the night. They would go to the table, get the drinks then see if th

15. PetraKenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    aw, poor Estella. I hate it when people are snobby for no reason. :( but dumping the pot of tea on Pansy might be funny. :D [face_laugh]

16. snowspeeder_gunner

Apr 10, 2007
    I think Pansy is getting a visit from the green eyed monster :p

Good thing Polly is so nice, now Estella has a friend at the inn.

Keep up the good work!

17. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    PetraKenobi: aw, poor Estella. I hate it when people are snobby for no reason. but dumping the pot of tea on Pansy might be funny.

Yes, poor Estella for having to deal with someone like Pansy.

snowspeeder_gunner: I think Pansy is getting a visit from the green eyed monster

I think you're quite right.

Good thing Polly is so nice, now Estella has a friend at the inn.

Yes, she's very lucky.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you!

18. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005

PM List:
    PetraKenobi
    snowspeeder_gunner

Chapter 5

Over the next couple of weeks Estella and Polly became fast friends. Polly was 4 years older than Estella, and already had her own family, but they still became close. And it was a very good thing she had an ally considering how bad things were fast becoming. Mr. Proudfoot and Cora were more and more vindictive everyday Estella worked. And Merry and Pippin often became regular guests living very close to the Inn.

?Estella clean out this teapot now!? Cora said sternly, almost angrily with a evil malice in her eye.

?Yes ma?m,? Estella replied, turning back to Merry, whose mug she was filling.

?Does she always act like that to you?? Merry asked.

?She does, but by now I?m used to it,? She said.

?Used to it or not, she shouldn?t treat act like that to you,? he said.

?I can handle myself Mr. Brandybuck. Please don?t be under the impression that you need to be my hero,? she replied.

?And now you are back to calling me Mr. Brandybuck. Why? You used to call me Merry,? he said baffled by Estella?s behavior.

?I was a child then, and now I best be cleaning that pot,? Estella said walking away.

Back at his table Merry sighed. Estella was such a mystery to him. And the more he saw, the more he wanted to figure out that mystery. He was constantly thinking about the times when young Estella used to beg to play with them. Somewhere over the years she had changed.

Pippin was the only person to notice the change in Merry. Both hobbits now lived at Crickhollow, so they were in the Bridge Inn a lot. It was during their visits Pippin noticed how deep in thought his cousin was. How Merry was quieter, and always seemed to be watching the lass Estella Bolger.

?Do you want to talk about it Merry?? Pippin asked one such day, almost making Merry jump out of his skin.

?What are you going on about Pip?? Merry replied, acting casual.

?All I know Merry is that whenever we are here, you never pay attention to me. Instead your eyes are always on that Bolger lass,? Pippin said confidently.

Merry sighed, knowing he couldn?t keep it from Pippin if he tried. ?Is it that obvious?? he asked looking at his cousin.

?Only to me because I know you so well. Now tell me when you got eyes for Estella Bolger?? Pippin said.

?I don?t got eyes for her, it?s just she confuses me,? Merry replied.

?Confuses you? Merry answer me this, if you didn?t care about her then why won?t you just drop it and move on. What is so special about her, tell me Merry?? Pippin stated.

Merry looked down at his mug, feelings churning inside. He thought for a moment and then looked up at Pippin again. ?There has been no lass ever who ever intrigued me in the slightest. I don?t know what it is about but?.but I think I?m falling in love with her,? Merry said hardly believing what just came out of his mouth.

?I figured as such, I just wanted to get you to admit it,? Pippin shrugged.

?Thanks a whole lot. What am I going to do Pip, she doesn?t really like me at all. And Fred wouldn?t want his sister to be around me. But?I can?t get her out of my mind. I don?t even know when this happened,? Merry sighed looking miserable.

?I will say one thing Mer, keep your feelings for her secret until the time is right,? Pip said.

?Of course,? Merry replied downing the remainder of his ale.

~~

19. snowspeeder_gunner

Apr 10, 2007
    Hooray! A wedding! I'm so glad Fred asked Mentha finally!

Estella looked up to see Merry?s handsome face. Wait a sec, did I just think he was handsome, what is wrong with me?

LOL! This part cracked me up.

And Pansy'd better stay away, or Merry will call in some of his Rohirrim pals in.

Keep up the great work!!!

20. PetraKenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    ?I can handle myself Mr. Brandybuck. Please don?t be under the impression that you need to be my hero,? she replied.

lol, loved that part. :D

21. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    snowspeeder_gunner: Hooray! A wedding! I'm so glad Fred asked Mentha finally!

Definitely.

LOL! This part cracked me up.

I'm glad you liked it.

And Pansy'd better stay away, or Merry will call in some of his Rohirrim pals in.

Oh yeah. [face_laugh]

Keep up the great work!!!

Thank you!

PetraKenobi: lol, loved that part.

I'm so glad you liked it, thank you!

22. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005

PM List:
    PetraKenobi
    snowspeeder_gunner

Chapter 6

Chapter 6

As it turned out though, it was only that one day that was good, because the next day her job at the Inn continued, much to Estella?s displeasure. Estella was also working more, trying to get some money for Fredegar?s wedding.

Things certainly seemed quite as grim as usual. Cora seemed to be bossing her around every few seconds, making it very hard for Estella to attend to her customers. Besides her friendship with Polly, the only person who could ever get her to crack a smile at work was Merry.

Merry had been coming daily now, and he would always request Estella to be his waitress. Their friendship began to grow stronger with every passing day, and it seemed to Estella she was almost excited to go to work just because Merry was there. What was happening to her, years ago she wouldn?t even speak to him, but now she didn?t know what was wrong with her then. Merry was very thoughtful, kind and a bit mischievous, which Estella now thought was a perfect mix.

One day Estella rode Star to The Bridge Inn as usual, feeling sorry for herself once again for having to work. She tethered her pony and walked in, tying her apron around her waist as she went. It was a Sunday, so the Inn was very crowded and it was
    the time most hobbits had second breakfast.

She walked in and found out which tables would be hers. One of then had hobbits eating at it, the other had some sitting with their mugs of ale. So it seemed to her that she wouldn?t have a table for awhile, as someone else would be taking care of them. She busied herself as usual, to avoid the yelling Cora.

?Hey Estella!? said a familiar voice. She turned to see Merry sitting at the bar once again, a handsome smile on his face. She quickly walked over to him, forgetting her half full teapot of water.

?Hullo Merry, good to see you,? she said honestly, smiling sweetly at him.

?You as well Estella, so are you excited for the wedding?? he asked.

?Oh yes, extremely, I?m so happy for my brother. He deserves to be happy with the lass he loves,? she replied.

Merry started to say something back, but he coughed abruptly so she didn?t hear him.

?Estella! Get over here now!? said a furious Cora with her hands on her hips. A red faced Mr. Proudfoot was right behind her. What could she have done this time?

?How dare you not take care of your guests! They?ve been sitting for ten minutes without anyone helping them!? Cora said fiercely.

?I beg your pardon, but they had mugs of ale and tea. I was quite sure that the previous waitress had taken care of them. I only just got here, and nobody told me anything,? Estella replied, trying once again not to get angry.

?I don?t want to hear excuses Estella, you?ve been nothing but trouble since you got here!? Mr. Proudfoot replied.

?What?? Estella said hurt. ?I?ve done everything, anyone has ever asked of me,? she said.

?But you have to watch your tables, that is money lost for your incompetence. You are a worthless Bolger, I wish you never came. I?ve never had to deal with someone as hard headed as you have been,? Cora said.

At this Estella burst into tears, and all the sadness and misery of the last months washed over her anew. She didn?t want to cry, but her eyes were disobeying her and giving herself away. She was never going to get any

23. snowspeeder_gunner

Apr 10, 2007
    :D Yaaay!

I'm very glad that Estella finally got out of that crazy tavern- that was not a good place to work! But it's a good thing she did, because then she got to meet Merry. Speaking of whom, was pretty awesome when he took on Estella's boss like that.

And then the wedding! It sounds like Fred and Mentha had a great wedding, and Merry and Estella certainly had a good time too, haha!

My favorite part would have to be the end though, when Merry is telling Pippin that he kissed her- it's funny how he could be so brave in other things, but so nervous when it comes to Estella.

Too bad that crazy Bracegirdle guy is there. I bet he has something to do with paying for the farm. :(

Thanks for the PM! Keep up the great work!!

24. PetraKenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    this time Pippin DIDN'T put his foot in his mouth, lol. Great update. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.