main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton Lord of the Rings: Two Towers - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Darth_Haggis, Nov 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JawaGirl

JawaGirl Jedi Master star 3

Sep 19, 2002
    So has anyone purchased their tickets yet? Only 7 sleeps to go! - and maybe a nap on Tuesday afternoon ;)

JawaGirl

2. astrozombie

astrozombie Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2002
    South Edmonton Common is finally selling tickets - - - four of us are in. Anybody else?

And if there are any suggestions for lineup and/or meeting times...by all means...

hoping to hear from all you ringwraiths!

3. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    We talked about this a bit tonight, and looks like we are aiming for a 10pm meeting time at the theater.

Indy

4. Starbender

Starbender Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2002
    Aieeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I saw it! Well most of it, while somehow taking care of 12 other theatres.... Highlights:

Gollum.
    Ents Vs. Isengard! Whoa!!
    Gates of Mordor opening.
    Balrog vs. Gandalf.

I'd like to say Helm's Deep but I missed most of it...

The romance angle seemed tacked on <sigh>

You are going to love it, oh yes...

5. JawaGirl

JawaGirl Jedi Master star 3

Sep 19, 2002
    Stoked! Can't wait! See everyone at the theatre tonight at 10. I hope we don't have to line up outside...THAT would suck!

JawaGirl :)

6. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    The clock is ticking.......

...but oh so slowly! :(

7. Jamaillia

Jamaillia Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2002
    I am leaving Stony at 9 so that I have plenty of time to get there.

See you all in a couple.

Jamaillia

8. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    *speechless*

And tired... :)

Indy

9. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Boy, the boards are quiet lately...

So what did you guys think of the movie???

Personally, I loved it. Absolutely positively loved it!!!!

************SPOILER ZONE***************

Gollum was absolutely brilliant. As far as a CGI character goes, only your brain told you he wasn't real. He looked PERFECT to me. His facial expressions alone were worth seeing the movie. So far, Gollum is the #1 highlight of the series for me. Even better than Helm's Deep. Even better than the battle with the Balrog (although that is nipping at Gollum's heels) They made Gollum as real as is possible I think. He made Jar Jar Binks and other CG characters look like clips from the Star Wars Holiday Special. Have I said I loved Gollum yet??? :D

As a whole, the movie was great. But I would be remiss if I didn't nitpick a little... :)

Actually there is only one small thing, and one medium thing.

Small thing; I thought some of the humor was a bit out of place. Don't get me wrong, most of it was great, and well timed. I just think that some of the jokes during the battle for Helm's Deep were ill timed. They kinda ruined the whole intensity of the scene, as it is a battle in which the fate of Middle Earth literally hangs in the balance. Actually I will clarify that, I didn't like the jokes between Legolas and Gimli about the whole height thing, but the joke with the "tossing" and "don't tell the Elf" worked for me at that time in the movie.

Medium thing; I really didn't like the way they changed the character of Faramir. In the book, he "shows his quality to be the very highest" by refusing to fall prey to the lure of the Ring. In this way he became a character akin to Aragorn as far as being honorable and strong of will. As well he should be, as they are both of the highest breeding, one a King, the other a son of a King in all but name.

By forcing Frodo and Sam and Gollum (who is really spectacular, by the way) to follow him to Osgiliath kinda lessens him as a character, even though, in the end, he does resist the ring and release them, I think the way they portrayed it made his character weaker than it could have been.

Good things:

Well, pretty much everything else. Gollum (although I think I have mentioned him before) and the Ents were perfect, almost as I had imagined them, but they were better. The whole fight with the Balrog at the beginning kicked SO much butt. And what can be said about the battle of Helm's Deep? The effects for that were nothing short of perfect. I can't even imagine how much work must have went into creating that part of the movie. And those siege ladders were sweet.

This movie was also great because it used CGI to enhance the movie, not as a replacement for things (if that makes any sense). It was part of the movie. Not the movie itself.

Oh, and the Oliphaunts!!!! And the Towers of the Teeth!!!! And the Winged Riders!!!! And the Wargs!!!! And Gollum!!!!

I could go on forever... :)

Gonna have to go see this movie again really, really soon!!!

Indy

10. azhia

azhia Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2002
    I don't get to see it till January :_| so yes, I carefully avoided reading the latter section of that previous post.

Query: What in the world am I doing here?????

11. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Well I finally saw it, twice now and I really love what they did. The score is great(have it on right now). The acting was awesome and Gollum....Dren if only Jar Jar was that character driven..to me anyway.

The battles were great and the sword work awesome. Here's a little bit of some Star Wars lore for ya. Bob Anderson who was the Darth Vader stunt double in The Empire Strikes Back was the Sword Master/Fight Choregrapher for the Lord of the Rings.

I loved the Balrog scene. I'm just....wow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.