main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SWNZ, Aug 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    800th post. :eek:

Glad it's a cracker.

I just purchased the latest "EMPIRE" magazine (movie / dvd etc movie magazine). Had the first glimpse of ROTK pics and details.

If I could type fast and be bothered, I'd type the entire article - 3pages or so, but sorry, you'll have to buy the mag yourself if you want the rest of the story.

Near the end of the article, is as follows:

And while the spectacle has been ramped up 10-fold, the emotional content is going up to fly pretty close to devastating. Pack your hankies, for even the rough-cut has had them snivelling in the aisles.
    "One of the things I worry about in Film Three is that it is so emotional," explains Boyens, "that you start to worry how much people can handle. You've had two films to set up these characters; people love them. There is one line I think will become one of the great film lines, which Sam says to Frodo on the slopes of Mount Doom: 'I can't carry the it, but I can carry you.' I was just crying and crying".
    Just one thing - it may be a tad longer than the first two.
    Jackson bursts into laughter: "On the first two movies we had this absolute edict from New Line that they couldn't be longer than two and a half hours, which we kind of ignored. This year we had an edict saying it mustn't be longer than three hours. We are making progress. More than that, though, this is the one I am most proud of and will give it the room it needs. It's just great, we are heading towards an ending, a climax!"

woohoo!!! And some of the pics included in the article are coool. I dunno about all the crying - but i'm sure it will be great, and the emphasis on the sam / frodo friendship will be awesome.

2. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    For those unaware. There's a thread going on in the Australasian board.

oh, but here's a peice of an article I've read recently. It's an exclusive on the ROTK.

And while the spectacle has been ramped up 10-fold, the emotional content is going up to fly pretty close to devastating. Pack your hankies, for even the rough-cut has had them snivelling in the aisles.
    "One of the things I worry about in Film Three is that it is so emotional," explains Boyens, "that you start to worry how much people can handle. You've had two films to set up these characters; people love them. There is one line I think will become one of the great film lines, which Sam says to Frodo on the slopes of Mount Doom: 'I can't carry the it, but I can carry you.' I was just crying and crying".
    Just one thing - it may be a tad longer than the first two.
    Jackson bursts into laughter: "On the first two movies we had this absolute edict from New Line that they couldn't be longer than two and a half hours, which we kind of ignored. This year we had an edict saying it mustn't be longer than three hours. We are making progress. More than that, though, this is the one I am most proud of and will give it the room it needs. It's just great, we are heading towards an ending, a climax!"

:D :D :D

3. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Was on theonering.net today and they reckon the ROTK trailer will be online next Monday, if you didn't already know!

Also see that the fat cats in Hollywood a getting in a tis co of the bling bling that Peter Jackson is gonna get for King Kong! - If it's anything like LOTR then he deserves it, they're just jealous cos he's a Kiwi.

4. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    good on ol' Pete for taking on the so called 'big guns' of the film society.

5. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Yea, good on him.

I hear he gets like 10% of the profits over a certain amount - good stuff.

6. Mr_Deflok

Mr_Deflok Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2003
    Hollywood would have a stroke if Lucas was a New Zealander, clever bastard he was,

GL: "I'll have all the merchandising rights."
    Fox: "Hahahaha! Sure, like they're worth anything! Hahahaha you flanneled idiot!!! Hahahaha! Have them for free!!"

30 years later...
    New and Upcoming Director with a vision: "I'll have all the merchandising rights."
    Fox: "You think we're falling for that one again?! BURN IN HELL!!! Hahahahaha!"

7. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    /\ I'm slightly confused.

8. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    DL'ed two ROTK traliers last night. A Japanese one and a normal one without symbol subtitles :p

OH. MY. GOD.

Shelob - woohoo

Wraiths on wings flying toward Minis Tirith :eek:

Aragorn speech - *cough* people will say Braveheart ripoff - oh well - will be awesome.

Arwen / Elrond / Narsil -> Anduril -> Aragorn. :cool:

Can't wait.

PS: Do a google.com search or possibly see lordoftherings.net for trailer.

9. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    > Aragorn speech - *cough* people will say Braveheart ripoff - oh well - will be awesome.

Anyone who says such a thing shall be hearing from me ...

Braveheart ripoff ... pah!

10. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I reckon.

Spoilers for those who have not read the books:

Sam yelling NOOO at the end HAS GOT TO be when Frodo claims the ring and gollum bites his finger off and there's the tussle on the cracks on mount doom - gonne be huge

Eomer crying = must be when Eowyn is wasted by witchking ring wraith after she gets her arm broken etc and merry kills him

Can. Not. Wait.

edit = err Gollum just slips - but I have a feeling there will be a struggle and gollum slips after that. Just as long as frodo is not made into a hero and happily throws it in - ill be fine with ol' pete. :p

11. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Yeah got the trailer too - OMG! This fo=ilm is gonna kick ass!! :) Am re-reading the book currently to refresh my memory just in time for the release.

There was a brief story about the trailer on # news tonight and they had some of the footage too, looked even better than on the computer screen.

12. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    someone I spoke to said they thought that Peter would add a twist, and that Frodo would die at the end of the ROTK,

I don't believe it myself, although it's interesting at Gladriel says to Elrond "The Quest will claim his life".

This film is going to be _huge_!

13. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Yea, but only Elrond has the gift of foresight and he says that the enemy will NOT LET ARAGORN claim the throne. Which of course he does - and so Elves are bollocks.

:D

Frodo can't die. I think he might be on the verge and Galadriel comes to him in a vision. As seen in the trailor (frodo has spider web on and galadreil goes to hand him her hand) - GONNA BE HUGE.

14. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Saw on theonering.net today that Village Cinemas are planning to screen both of the Extended Editions in December :)

I think you can see them individually or in a row before the ROTK premieres.

I saw the FOTR EE last year in Wellington at the Embassy. Drove up in my car from CHCH, ujumped on the ferry went and saw it with my bro then back to CHCH. Tickets were $50, so this deal is heaps better.

15. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    They showed the Extended version at the cinema?

Yea, I had heard they planned to show the extended versions prior to ROTK.

Great idea. Great money making. Love to see them Big Screen and in a row. I wonder if they'll re-release the extended versions when ROTK extended version is released Nov 2004.

:p

MARATHON!!!! Must see that at Readings. Comfort will be key.

edit = Tickets were $50, so this deal is heaps better.

You payed $50 to see the EE?! You would have been half way there to getting the box set DVD and only $20 more would have got you the normal EE DVD. You nut! [face_laugh]

16. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    I'm no nut. ;)

Just wanted to see it on the big screen! It was a one of screening at The Embassy, the only showing in NZ! So I was like what the heck!

17. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    the only showing in NZ!

... not anymore though :p

Yea, I don't think I'd even pay $50 to see the EE on the big screen. Far more important things to waste $50 on ;)

:eek: Did I actually say that?!

18. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Does anyone know what day the Extended Edition TTT is coming out??

19. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Hmm, I recall seeing that in the recent newsletter from Roadshow. //goes to check email

Here we go:

"
    Available to own on DVD and Video

LABEL: Paramount Pictures
    RELEASE DATE: 20 November 2003
    DIRECTOR: Peter Jackson
    CATEGORY: Action Fantasy
    RATING: M CMLV
    DVD FEATURES: Click on more for special features
    DVD RRP: $79.99
    VHS RRP: $39.99

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS EXTENDED CUT
    A unique version of the film, with 43 minutes of new and extended scenes.

DVD Special Features:
    Disc 1 & 2
    Will contain Feature 2.35:1 run time 206mins
    Director and Writer Commentary
    The Design Team Commentary
    The Production / Post Production Team Commentary
    The Cast Commentary
    Dolby Digital EX 5.1 Surround Sound
    DTS ES 6.1 Surround Sound
    Dolby 2.0
    English Subtitles for the Hearing Impaired
    Greek Subtitles

Disc 3 & 4 The Appendices ? special features
    Disc 3
    J.R.R. Tolkien: origins of Middle-earth
    From Book to Script: Finding the Story
    Designing and Building Middle-earth
    Gollum
    New Zealand as Middle-earth
    Middle-earth Atlas: Tracing the Journeys of the Fellowship
    Subtitles for the Hearing Impaired
    Greek Subtitles

Disc 4
    Filming The Two Towers
    Visual Effects
    Editorial: refining the Story
    Music & Sound
    The Battle For Helm?s Deep is Over"

20. Mr_Deflok

Sep 15, 2003
    Isn't it the 18th? I keep hearing the 18th.

I'm not sure which version I'll buy, the standard EE or the one which comes with a statue of Gollum...

21. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I was in Whitcoulls today, and the 18th was the date appearing on their in-store lists.

22. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

2 days. I'm glad i get paid on tuesdays!!! hahaha.

23. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Extra scenes and lengthened scenes are cool and the bonus DVD on gollum (yes i got the $139 collectors box set - rude not to) is pretty cool - the statue is great too! :D

24. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I see the NZ Herald is doing their annual lotr supplement this weekend. Four collectable covers, or something.

25. Mr_Deflok

Sep 15, 2003
    The Dominion Post had a poster lift-out yesterday too which on the reverse side has three alternate posters along with a schedule of upcoming LOTR related events.

Less than a month away now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.