main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SWNZ, Aug 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    JP you lucky bastard, but I'm really not that fussed over LOTR anymore - costs too much - but yea - cool it's tonight and only2.5 hours or so to go. :D

I'll spoiler up your cell phone and e-mail Pauly. :D :D :D

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Loved the lead orc that looked just like the alien from Jackson's Bad Taste!

3. purplebabbit

purplebabbit Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2002
    I went to the midnight session at Westcity, cinema 4. Just over an hour waiting in line, then another hour waiting in the cinema. I'm still taking it all in. Wow. Can't wait to see it again

:)

4. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    Can't get in to see it till monday :(

5. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Best. Movie. Ever.

Fantastic, although (and this sounds stupid) I'm already excited about the extended version ... apparently there's another hour of footage ... Saruman, The Mouth Of Sauron, Eowyn and Farimir, the houses of healing ... so much stuff cut out. Arrrgh!

Not really focussing ... didn't get to sleep 'til 4:30am.

6. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    SPOILERS FOLLOW FOR THOSE YET TO SEE THE MOVIE!

Yea, I'm gladf they didn't focus on the Faramir / Eowyn relationship - cause they couldn't do it justice.

I actually thought some of the miniatures were really fake looking in some scenes and the beakons were very bad. :( Too many, in too high-a-peaks and over-kill.

All in all a fantastic movie though, got a little frog in the throat at one or two points, but that was it. I thought the Aragorn and everyone at Minis Tirith bowing to the Hobbits was cool. :)

The loss of finger for Frodo was good and I'm glad they didnt make him into a hero and that Gollum lost his footing and fell - :D

The extended edition will have the following and only the following:

an extra hour of frodo and sam crossing the plains of Gorgorath. [face_laugh] ;) :p They crossed it in like 2 seconds - but yes - 3.5 hours was gool for a theatrical release.

When the screen went black when frodo and sam were on the rock with the lava around them, I weas like -OMG NO WAY - IT CAN'T END LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!

Nice dramatic pause PJ! :p

7. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Yeah saw it last night and OMG!!!

Will have to see it some more before xmas. Here is a little list of things some likes and dislikes.

- Ligthing of the beacons (although that must be the worst job in Gondor!)
    - Shelob!!
    - Minas Tirith, is that the best city ever or what!
    - The Army of the Dead

Dislikes:

- Starting with Smeagol & Deagol
    - Denethor's death scene
    - The eye of Sauron is an orange searchlight??

But yeah what an awesome movie, did take a while to end though, kept thinking it was over and then there was more to come.
    - No Mouth of Sauron

8. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Saruman?

I LOVED THE SMEAGOL / DEAGOL START!!!

w00h00 I reckon. I've been waiting for that scene since before FOTR! :)

I thought Denathor was a twit, but I didbn't think Gandalf kicking him around was that good.

I was also hoping to see the Gaurdians of Minis Morgul (when Sam enters to find all thr dead orcs etc - if you've read the books you'll know).

A major dislike for me was the whole sending sam away and him turning up after Shelob's scene. That kinda sucked. But shelob as a whole was cool. :D

9. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    SFL, the tower where Frodo finds Sam is Cirith Ungol not Minas Morgul. The movie had the guardians at Minas Morgul when Frodo almost walks in with the ring so they must have just put them there instead.

Was a bit disappointed that the Witch King didn't break Eowyn's arm and that her and Merry killed him without becoming sick as in the book.

The lead orc witt the bulbous like features was cool, did we actually see him bit the dust though?

I see it is already up for about 4 Golden GLobes!!

10. purplebabbit

purplebabbit Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2002
    3 times and counting. It gets better each time! My brother had a bunch of free tickets to use, so we saw it twice back-to-back today. So awesome :)

11. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    That's awesome Babbit, it has now been 5 days since I have seen it (only once so far) and I am having major withdrawal syptoms. :(

I must go soon, maybe xmas eve to get away from the family!! [face_laugh]

On a separate note, how about this awesome xmas theme, the snow is cool if not a tad inappropriate for this part of the world. Merry xmas everyone...I hope i get heaps of pressies!!

12. -Winter-

-Winter- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Finally saw it today. Imo it was good but wasn't the "better than the first two added together" good; the first hour or so didn't have much direction and the ending dragged on and on.... still, the battle at Minas Tirith was great, and Eowyn absolutely kicked ass ("I am no man"--wooooo!) The effects are sloppier too. The scene where Legolas took down the giant elephant was so obviously fake. Legolas was nice to look at though. :D

13. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    went and saw it in the weekend, really enjoyed it planning on seeing it at least once more. thought the cgi was great yeah looked a little fake but still a brilliant effort for such a huge scene, loved the ride of the rohirrim were they chanting "death" was that just me?

Thank god theres a readings down here now Looove those armchair style seats!!

14. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    > The scene where Legolas took down the giant elephant was so obviously fake.

[sarcasm]Really? 'Cause I heard that they used a real giant elephant for that scene.[/sarcasm]

Actually, I thought that scene was a nice (and very obvious) "Empire Strikes Back" homage ... the way the elephant fell to its knees before collapsing was just like tghe way Luke bought the AT-AT down on Hoth.

15. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    PJ won the Golden Globe for best director - you can catch it on tv from 8pm on, I believe, or on tonight's news.

16. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    greetings all from Syracuse NY !!!!

I have been meaning to pop in hear for awhile now.........
    I have a question for everyone........ on a show here "good morning America" they had Sean Astin on and he spoke about some coins in New Zealand that had LOTR pics on them. A .50 peice has a hobbit(halfling) on it etc......these coins were said to be actual currency and in circulation.........

Im extremly curious.........has anyone seen these? :)

17. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Hi Strawbary - welcome to the kiwi side of the fanforce boards.

I did some research for you, and found this NZ Herald article -

Rings Coins To Be Released Next Month

It says that although the coins are legal tender, they will not be released into circulation. Personally, I wouldn't try sticking one of those things into a vending machine, lol.

18. Mr_Burns

Mr_Burns Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 12, 2001
    The coins are available for purchase worldwide here.

Nothing like buying a $10 coin for $1595.

19. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    OMG - thanks for the research, up until now no one had a clue what I was talking about LOL ;)

Yeh I think 1595.00 is a bit much for the coin as well. However you know there are a few collectors who wont bat an eye at buying them.......I will have to settle for admiring them from afar LOL.

here is a dumb question.......whats the time difference there for everyone?
    lets see, right now its 2:45 am............

20. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    use the time zone converter.

But america is about 7/8 hours ahead of us - but a day behind.

So if it was midday here in NZ (12pm) on the 1st of Feb it would be about 7pm or 8pm on the 30th of Jan.

fronm that link use current time and just change the drop down boxes for NZ and whereever you are.

21. Mr_Burns

Jan 12, 2001
    I will have to settle for admiring them from afar LOL

Well, there are a couple of sets there that might be within your price range. The 50c set is under US$27 (excluding postage), the $1 set is about US$36. There's a One Ring coin for US$20.

22. -Winter-

-Winter- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    We're really milking it for all it's got eh? 8-} The coins look very nice though.

23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > But america is about 7/8 hours ahead of us

Well, that's a bit general, seeing there are a number of timezones across the USA and the East Coast is several (4?) hours ahead of the West Coast.

24. Mr_Burns

Jan 12, 2001
    US East Coast (Eastern Standard Time) is currently 18 hours behind New Zealand, US West Coast (Pacific Standard Time) is 21 hours behind. So there's three hours difference between the coasts, and then the Central and Mountain zones sit in-between (19 and 20 hours behind respectively). And then the Atlantic zone (Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands) is 17 hours behind, Alaska is 22 hours behind, Hawaii 23 hours behind, and American Samoa is 24 hours behind.

This all goes to hell when Daylight Savings time starts in the US.

25. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    New Zealand finishes daylight saving time around the same time as North America starts it, meaning we all move 2 hours further apart.

I'm usually most familiar with Californian (Pacific) time as we have relatives there. Its good right now because they're three hours ahead and back a day, but during our winter they're five hours ahead and back a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.