main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lord of ???

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Ghost_Jedi, Feb 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    In ANH Darth Vader is referred to as Lord Vader. What exactly is he lord of? and do you think we will find out in episode iii?

2. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Dark Lord of the Sith.

Although it ain't much of a title as there are only two of them. And he ain't the boss :p

I reckon the Palps gave him the title to make him feel important ;)

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Obi-Bob

Obi-Bob Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 1999
    In AOTC Sidious refered to Dooku as Lord Tyranus also.

I imagine all of the Sith are given to title Lord.

4. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    The whole reason Im asking, is that he is being referred to as Lord Vader by Imperial Officers. Do you think that they know he is Sith? We know that Darth=Sith, but does everyone in gffa know that. Especially since the last time the Sith were around was over 1000 years before tpm.

5. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    i think its just an show of important title, as what else would they call him. He is like the Emperor's assistant, a Warlord. or just a lord in the heirarchy

6. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    In the OT, the Imperials believe Vader is the last of his kind. They know about his Sith ways, and his use of the Force. So addressing him as Lord makes sense, because they know he is a Dark Lord of the Sith.

The real question is, who knows that Sidious is a Dark Lord of the Sith?

7. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    ^don't you mean Palpatine?

8. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I decided to call him Sidious...since this is the III forum...

9. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I think only Vader and the Jedi know that Palpatine is a Sith Lord but everyone knows Vader is.

10. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    addressing him as Lord makes sense, because they know he is a Dark Lord of the Sith.

Are you sure? In ANH Tarkin refers to Vader as the last of the Jedi religion, and Motti incorrectly labels the Force as the religion. So it seems that the Imperials don't understand the history of the Jedi order and the Sith (is there any evidence that they even know of the Sith? Even the Jedi had written them off by the time of TPM).

Also, since Tarkin calls Vader the last of the Jedi, he probably doesn't know that the Emperor commands similar powers. Or, he knows that the Emperor is a force user but is not a Jedi?

My head hurts... :)

11. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Didn't the Neimoidians call Sidious "Lord Sidious" in TPM :confused:

-Aunecah

12. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Yep. :)

Its just a title--people don't have to know the person is a Sith to call them that. Different planet cultures have different ranking systems--Naboo has a Queen, other planets have presidents, chancellors, etc.--they could just assume that's how it works.

Also, the Nemoidians did know that Sidious and Maul were Sith. Remember, one of them (don't remember which off the top of my head) said "Now there are two of them!" Also, according to the novelization, they knew they were Sith.

As for everyone else, I'm not sure, but its a title, sorta like "Count" Dooku, "Supreme Chancellor" Palpatine, etc.

13. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    nute gunray knows sidious is a sith lord

14. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    I'm not sure, but its a title, sorta like "Count" Dooku, "Supreme Chancellor" Palpatine, etc

Yeah but in tpm Padme is the Queen of Naboo
    Dooku is the Count of his home planet.
    Palpatine is the Supreme Chancellor of Republic Senate.
    Geore Bush is President of the United States.
    Colin Powell was the General of United States Armed Services

You see all of these relate to a specific location or position; they are just not walking around saying hi, call me Duke, their title indicates a specific ranking of a praticular place or orgabization.

Which leads me back to the question of what is he Lord of??
    The emperial staff seem to identify him as a Jedi, and not as a Sith. So he is lord of something? or what?

15. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    He is a Lord of the Sith. The Emperor understands that, and Vader understands that. It'd be a pretty dumb (and soon dead) Imperial to question them.

EDIT: I think he has a castle or something, maybe they assume he's the lord of that or whatever region it's in.

16. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Or it could be that since Palpatine calls Vader "Lord Vader," the rest of the Imperials call him that too. Or it could be that Vader insists that they call him "Lord Vader."

In any case, I don't think the "Lord" part has anything to do with being the lord of something.

-Aunecah

17. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    hes the dark lord of the sith, and if i saw the emperor call him Lord, id do the same if i was an underling

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.