main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lord Revan Awakens

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by WannaBuySomeDeathSticks, Dec 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

"Everthing that has not been canon is not canon"

WTF.

2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Wrong. What there was before was an overly convoluted way to put everything in neat little pockets. Lucas' word every single time on the subject was that the movies and TCW is the ONLY thing that matters. The EU never, ever, ever, never, ever, never, did not, ever, matter. Not for a second.

It's really not that hard to understand.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  3. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Can't believe questions of canon are still being asked it really is not complicated.

Jedi Older Code, mratm23 and TheBBP like this.
  4. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Well, so much for saber guy being Revan.

SkywalkerOG likes this.
  5. ararha

ararha Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 25, 2013
    People seriously thought Revan was going to be the villain? hahaha......

6. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Most of us want the mask to be Revan's. I don't think that anyone really thought it was the character himself.

Redimet likes this.
  7. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    [​IMG]
    I mean when an image like this gets leaked I can see why people would start having conversations about him being the villain.

Jedi Older Code and TheBBP like this.
  8. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002

"Canon" is just a word used to try and make sense of such large universes as Star Wars and other properties that span decades and hundreds (thousands?) of separate stories. Yes, technically speaking, the movies and TCW were the only things that were "gospel" and absolutely super-ceded anything else when conflicts arose. In that sense, and (at least for the sake of argument) we'll say the literal sense, the movies and TCW were the only things "canon." However, the amount of work and effort that went in to the EU to try and make sure everything outside the movies/TCW matched with the movies/TCW and each other as much as possible made it all as much as "canon" as something could be without being the movies or TCW. Really, that's the whole reason for that tiered canon system they had.

With that said, regardless of any official statements or reboots or anything of that sort, what is "canon" is almost always going to, at the end of the day, be dependent on the individual consumer. If one wants to blissfully ignore all the new stuff coming out and focus only on the old continuity, they are free to do so and nobody can stop them. If one wants to focus only on the movies and ignore everything outside of them, including the officially canon DisnEU, they are free to do so. It hinders their ability to discuss the property, sure, since they won't be on board with most everyone else, but if that's how they enjoy Star Wars then that is how they enjoy Star Wars.

Really, my whole point here is that arguing over vapid semantics like whether this or that is or was ever "canon" is ultimately pointless and doesn't much further any sort of discussion (unless, of course, the discussion is specifically about canon, then...)

9. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

There is no doubting that. I have this condition where I get mental when I see folks trying to act like the EU mattered in terms of the official saga. If you want, imagine the "ERMAHGERD" meme when you see me react to such posts. I am cool with that.

mratm23 and Link1130 like this.
  10. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    If Revan is in the ST I will always trust Disney and Lucasfilm from now on.

Revan is the best thing ever created in the now extincted EU.

Darth_Corvus likes this.
  11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    KoTOR was probably the best thing ever created, outside the movies IMHO.

12. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    Revan isn't going to be in the movies because they think they can come up with a better villain themselves. Why settle for a spinoff character when you're making the real thing?

One day, when Star Wars has been milked to death and nobody cares, I hope they do make a movie featuring Darth Revan, Darth Bane, Clone Emperor, Cade Skywalker, Xizor, Boba Fett, Yuzaan Vong, Thrawn, Ventress and whoever else. And then you can have Starkiller, Kyle Katarn, Dash Rendar, Wedge, Mara Jade teamed up with all the Skywalker and Solo and Calrissian kids as the good guys. I bet it would be even better than that Street Fighter movie.

13. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Cade Skywalker and Yuzaan Vong will never appear in the new canon. From what I've read, old EU characters names will never be used.

14. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

I understand that, in concept. However, TOR wasn't marketed with Revan's name (new expansion aside). Personally, I didn't even know he was in the game until I got to the right Flashpoint. I purposely avoided spoilers, so some people knew he was in, but Revan certainly wasn't used to generate sales outside of the "Old Rebublic" name itself, and maybe the implication that came with it. It wasn't until after people had played the game that they started complaining about Revan in it.

Additionally, I've heard a lot of people say they really just want a KOTOR 3 (which would presumably continue Revan's story anyway), but that had more to do with TOR being an MMO instead of a single player RPG.

I'm just kinda confused is all. Why would people want a kotor 3, read the novels, but then object to his use in TOR, unless they didn't like the WAY he was used in the game.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    It's Yuuzhan Vong of those chosen race as they were called crazy creatures, I guess a lot of make up & strong muscular guys would have been needed, some MMA guys might do. The war ended in 29 aby so yeah they wont be in this movie, Cade would not have been born at this time.

16. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

I don't mind seeing that lowlife drunk Cade go away, but I like the Vong. An alien race that feals alien and a threat that's actually credible and new. Of course if I have to chose between Revan or the Vong, I chose Revan. By the way Vong were already around during his time.

17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I guess it was sort of the way he was used, too–at least, in the original Flashpoints. In the expansion, I've heard that most people like how he's used.

I think there are three groups–those who like how Revan was used in TOR; those who like Revan but disliked the way he was used because he was a "shell of his former self"; and those who disliked him being in the game at all because it screamed pandering to the Revan fanboy, and he should've been dead long ago.

Rookhelm likes this.
  18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    It was never going to be Revan. There is a possibility it is his mask, but nothing else. We know the villain is a collector of ancient Sith artefacts, so I can't see why anyone ever thought it was Revan himself.

Revanfan1 and TheBBP like this.
  19. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014

Revan's real name is whatever you make it during the character creation process at the beginning of KOTOR 1.

I have said this in other threads regarding KOTOR and the Force Unleashed; this is the inherent problem with video games being canon. Revan's mask should be canonized but nothing more.

20. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    Actually, you are very very very very very very very very wrong. IT was canon for a lot of people. I've accepted that it WAS canon but no longer is. I'm not arguing this.

Toonimator likes this.
  21. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

I am wondering how that has any significance to this argument. What it was to you does not have any effect on how things really are. Believe me, I TOTALLY wish that I could make God as real to folks who don't believe as He is to me, but things just don't work that way.

The only fact is that the EU was never canon according to the official saga.

22. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Still don't get how people are seeing Revan's mask in this picture, when it's clearly different, i mean just look at it.

23. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

We are seeing a very similar mask. It gives us hope that it could be his.

Redimet and Krueger like this.
  24. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    In some ways it's similiar but this mask has to eyeholes which Revan's mask did not have, and that silver part on the top

25. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

I fully understand the differences. When they canonized Bane, they changed everything about him. So, for me it is not a stretch to say that this mask that is similar, but not exactly like Revan's, could actually be Revan's. It is a hope. I have nothing to argue with to say that it actually is. Mainly because Revan's mask was a Mandalorian mask and there has to be MANY of those scattered around the galaxy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.