main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lords of the Sith

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by janTeigen, Sep 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janTeigen

janTeigen Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2002
    Hi everbody

I´m fanfilm-maker from Iceland. Me and my friends at Ga-films created fan film sveral months ago.

It took total 3 days to shoot it. We first shot for a whole day and then we shot twice for a half day. Post production took about five weeks.

I hope you enjoy this film.

www.starwarsx.tk

2. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Well, your website is certainly impressive.
    It's a little reminiscent of the current Star Wars.com design, but very nice to look at nontheless.

Also, your FanFilm Poster is very nice as well, as are the Wallpapers.

I would love to see some additional stills and such added tothe Gallery section.

If your film is near as impressive as your website, I'll be looking forward to seeing it.
    (And reviewing the heck out of it) ;)

JediTAC
    TFN's Self-Appointed Resident FanFilm Reviewer and Constructive Critic :D

P.S. WHY OH WHY must people insist on using "EPISODE (insert roman numeral here)" in their FanFilm titles?
    Is it some kind of "Lucas-envy?"

It's just kind of silly ... because sooner or later someone is going to come along and want to call theri film "EPISODE X" or something, and there isn't really anything you can do about it. Then we can look forward to all kinds of "hey, why are there two Episode X's," or, "my EPISODE X is better than your EPISODE X."

George Lucas is the ONLY true Star Wars "Episode" creator.

Why not just call it STAR WARS:LORDS OF THE SITH ??? :D

3. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    WOW! Your site looks amazing!
    Great stills.

I'm downloading the film now, but I'm already really impressed.

Just one thing...
    The guys in the next-to-last behind the scenes pic: Are they watching a video playback or waiting in line for the Mens Lavatory? ;)

Great job on everything I'vs seen thusfar. Only 35 minutes left to DL.

Have fun.

4. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Oh wow. That looks good. Only problen I have with it is that it reminds me of how my movie will be....in many aspects, esp. Sky color and location.

~Neszis~

5. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    DUDE!!!

I almost cried watching the trailers -- this film looks AWESOME!

Three days and five weeks? Man! We could all learn a major lesson from you guys.

EDIT: I'm a tard. Downloading film now.

M. Scott

6. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Really nice site guys, with bags of content to look through while I download that monster film :)

I really like the addition of the atmospheric sky throughout the trailers (and boy are there a lot of trailers!) as well. It's really nice to see a site with a lot of content, rather than just a link to a film.

It all looks very slick indeed.

7. janTeigen

janTeigen Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2002
    I know, it's not very good. I didn't know that any other episode x films existed until after I had published the film. When this was brought to my attention, it was too late. But, it just has to be this way, and I have to live with that. I can't change it because I don't have the equipment available any more, or the programs.

8. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Don't worry, you're the people that made the film, and you can call it what you like :)

My only comment is that some of the files are pretty big, and I'm sure could be made a little smaller. The 'compare' doco is 30MB and just over a minute in length, something which people with slower modems might find a little hard to download, plus it obviously puts more strain of your servers.

It was cool what you did in that documentary, I especially liked the colour added to the ground to give it a wild, volcanic feel, nice touch.

9. Master_Jedi_David

Master_Jedi_David Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    When will you be releasing the DivX Version? Your website looks very cool

10. janTeigen

janTeigen Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2002
    There is some problem with the Divx. I don't expect it will be working next days. Maybe after 10 - 12 days. Sorry..

11. DarthMoves

DarthMoves Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 2, 2002
    I was very impressed. To me, you hit the nail on the head with a fanfilm. You didn't try to do TOO much and kept it simple. By doing so, you left out any forced elements I have seen in other films.

Bravo on the cinematography and effects.

MIke

12. guruguy

guruguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2002
    Your site is awesome. Very impressive and professional looking. This site will keep a 56 modem busy for weeks!

I REALLY like the opening picture with the sunset in the background. Something about it really grabs me.

3 minutes left in the film download but I'm going to watch the trailers first...

13. DarthZome

DarthZome Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    My only real complaint is that movie should have been a comedy film.

14. janTeigen

janTeigen Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2002
    It is almost comedy - we ARE NOT taking things to seriously.

E.g. the main sith lord talks a bit like the emperor, but it turns out to be a vicious martial arts guru like Darth Maul. That was always ment to be funny, so it is in fact a comedy with cool force and lightsaber tricks.

15. unclepain

unclepain Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    Super job guys! Excellent compositing and love what you've done with atmosphere effects. Definitely some great saber choreography- best I've seen in a while. My only criticisms are that things could have been tightened up in the final edit. Way too many shots of guys "posing" with lightsabers. I think in the main saber fight, there was 5 different times when everyone stopped the action and stood in some kind of pose while the camera did a zoom in or pan or something. I think it would have added tremendously to the final fight scene to just keep the momentum going. That really would have pinned my ears back. Also, the scene with the probe droids circling the jedi should have gotten into the action earlier- you panned around the jedi for too long, and he really didn't look like he was looking at the probes, it just looked like he was posing, Also, you broke the 180 degree rule while circling the jedi, which was a little jarring to watch.

The female Sith was played well. I love those subtle touches of arrogance- not over the top, and not so sterile that it isn't believeable. Good job.

Definitely need to work on compressing your video files smaller. 180 megs for a movie that is under 15 minutes long and only 400 by 267 pixels could very easily be a third of that size and still retain the same quality you have now.

Somebody looks like they've been playing Jedi Outcast.... the saber throw, the force push sounds, the grip lift and shake- I actually wanted to work on doing a shot that contained a grip scene like that. That actually looked very good, and painful for the actor by the way ;)

The last shot of Darth Maul's evil twin on top of the cliff and the camera pull back was really tasty. Very Nice.

Man, overall this was very, very good- it's always nice to run across something unexpectedly good like this.

How long did it take you to do this? 5 weeks? You got to be kidding... that was a ton of work for 5 weeks. Excellent job.

Later- Jeremy

16. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Iceland?? No way!!

I went to Iceland for far too short of a visit this summer, and decided, if I could get a budget for it, I'd shoot a film there. Heck, Lucas should shoot EPIII there.

You have a beautiful country. I hope I can see some of it in the cinematography.

Anyway, once my mac is done restoring its hard disk, I'll be sure to download it. :D

17. ddojo

ddojo Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2002
    That was one of the best fanfilms ive ever seen!!!! Extremely good compositing and special effects!!!! It sure was worth the download!

18. guruguy

guruguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2002
    Well done.

This movie has some of the best fight sabre choreography I've seen. I've been replaying some of them over and over. In particular the sequence in the teaser with Darth Keneel vs both Kezuteen and Shaan. Also, the last sequence with Kezuteen and Keneel I think is excellent.

I also like the atmosphere effects. It really adds to the otherworldly feel.

A couple of the scenes seemed a little rushed for timing continuity. For example, when Katana's ship lands in the distance behind the trees she appears from the bushes far too quickly to have come from the ship given that it is all one continuous scene. Had the scene been split it would have seemed more natural.

I notice that the speeder bike scene in the trailer didn't make it into the film. Was there a large sequence cut out?

Overall I rate this a first class effort that is going to be squeezed onto my hard drive! Thanks for sharing it with us! :D

19. janTeigen

janTeigen Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2002
    Well, I didn't need the speeder scene, it was just screentest.

The probes were chasing the jedi and shotting at him, but when I saw that it looked kinda stupid because probe droids would never travel as fast as speeder. So that was cut.

Also we cut scene out when the older jedi is contacting the younger jedi wich is on another planet. Then the takeoff of the younger jedi spaceship was also cut. We simply see his ship approaching the planet in the movie. We really didn't need to see him jump aboard his ship and fly away.

Also 3 scenes were never shot. But I think the film was concrete, though we only had 5 weeks to finish it.

20. Darth_Bone

Darth_Bone Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    Wow! Your film is amazing!

I especialy like the fight scenes. they´re very very well choreographed and fast. and then the camera movements during those scenes-execllent! My favourite scenes is the last scene of the movie before the end credits when the camera zoom away from the sith who´s standing on the top of the hill! very cool!

Visual Effects and Compositing are excellent and the sets(the landscapes) look very cool, too. We have never before seen them in a fanfilm!

A really great movie(and one of my favourites)! The 170 MB are worth the download!

21. -_TheDirectoR_-

-_TheDirectoR_- Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2001
    THE GOOD: The female sith (we can all agree that she was beautiful!), costumes, makeup, most of the effects, some of the camera work, and the compositing.

THE OK: Story

TH BAD: Lack of lines, some scenes didnt flow as well where as some were too rushed.

OVERALL: Considering your limited time, this film is awesome. Most filmmakes make a fraction of this in the time that you used (was it a bit over 5 weeks?).

GREAT JOB TO ALL OF YOU AND GOOD LUCK IN THE FUTURE! WELL WORTH THE DOWNLOAD!

22. alphacentauri

alphacentauri Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!
    I just downloaded the trailer but I'm alredy impresed!

I will download the movie ASAP!

Great composition, nice sky effects!

Also the fight seems to be very nice! And this is only 3days of shooting & 5 weeks post production!! Man!!!! AWESOME!!!

Site is also very great! lots of info as wel!

Iceland!! But I don't see any Icecube :)

23. alphacentauri

alphacentauri Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    I just finished download the movie!
    Some popcorn and a beer & I'm ready to go!
    Will post my comments soon!

now PLAY!!

just saw the movie!

AWESOME!!!!

The final fight was great. This is the best fight in fanfilms I ever seen!

Good work!

24. Neumann

Neumann Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2002
    I liked the film too. I thought that the sabres looked great, ESPECIALLY in the sky-less shots. They have such a great presence the darker the surroundings are. I think the colours were gorgeous, especially the contrast and brightness. The jedis in all-white looked wonderful (though I would have suggested white sneakers). I also have to say the red sky looked wonderful, and made the location look different than any other fanfilm. Wonderful country, as the others said.

Some of the shots were very "Galidor"ian... the high-speed close-up and the red sky seem similar, but I think that it makes the entire thing look more energetic.

Chris

25. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Great job guys!

Nothing much more to add to what the others have said. You pulled it off very well.

Compression could have used a bit of work, though. It was a bit choppy for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.