main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Los Angeles based forum members...

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Lord_Rive, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Alex Lindsay and I are going to be doing a presentation (on the Composite Toolkit) for the MGLA tonight. There are going to be a lot of great speakers there (one of the guys from The Orphanage will be talking about The Magic Bullet), so if you can make it down, come say hi!

2. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm gonna try to be there tonight. I need to see if I can get the car, I probably won't be there earlier than 7:30 though if I can make it.

M. Scott

3. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Slight derailment: Dave, have you ever been to the SIGGRAPH convention?

4. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Wish I had had prior notice, I could have maybe arranged my schedule to be there.
    Nevertheless, GOOD LUCK with it, Rive !!! :D

5. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Dave, I'll surely be there if you and Alex want to front the cash for me to fly out there by tonight from Alabama.

6. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    I'll surely be there if you and Alex want to front the cash for me to fly out there by tonight from Alabama

Only if you promise to bring your Jug-Band and your Cotton-Gin. :p

7. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    [face_plain] [face_laugh]

Well, I will be there around 9:00pm if traffic is all well since I will be getting off of work at around 8:00 or so.

8. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    if you would've told me sooner i could've tried to persuade my parents to take me...

9. cbutlerc

cbutlerc Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2001
    Sorry I am going to miss it, seems to be a good presentation. :(
    Like the others more of a notice and I could of made it.
    Oh well next time.

10. Tri-Som_Gare

Tri-Som_Gare Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    I am going to try to make this also. Probably well after 8:00 though...

11. borjis fett

borjis fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 1999

Dorkman I always thought you were from Australia.

wierd. must have confused you with someone else.

12. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    So how did this go - did the Composite toolkit look good? Did any of you guys actually make it out there?

13. Golden-Y

Nov 18, 2000
    It went quite well. It took a while to find parking, though. The directions say to look to your left for the parking structure after making a right on the street. There was none. There was one on the RIGHT which I couldn't even get into because there was no one there to raise the arm. Finally, drove to the opposite block and parked in the structure that belongs to the ArcLight and Cinedome theater.

I got there at around 9:30 or so. There was this speaker from Conoa which was demonstrating a 3D plug-in for AE. In my opinion, I wasn't really that impressed, only a little.

Then it was Mr. Lindsay and Mr. Macomber. Great time, and even I was glued to the presentation. First, Alex talked about the 3 different keyers, one of them being the dvMatte. Then Dave spoke. Hehe......the hands and arms! Quite amusing. :)

Dave introduced me to Alex after the whole show. Great guy, that's all I can say.

Hehe, global domination. :D

Oh yeah, the only other person there from the community was DorkmanScott, but he didn't stay too long afterwards. :(

14. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    he directions say to look to your left for the parking structure after making a right on the street.
    Oy Macomber, what is it with you and giving directions then?

the hands and arms! Quite amusing.
    [face_laugh] Excellent. I have to confess though when I met Rive I honestly didn't notice any OTT arm movements - maybe it's a presentation thing. Did you guys shoot a video this time? Maybe we can get a clip posted so you can enjoy a global ribbing :p

Alex talked about the 3 different keyers
    Oooo. What where the other two then if DVMatte was the third?

15. Lord_Rive

Jun 29, 2000
    Oy Macomber, what is it with you and giving directions then?

My directions are fine... it's often the recipient of the directions that takes inadvertent turns... Nikki, wanna back me up on this?

No, no. On second thought, I don't want to start that fight again. :D

And anyway, Yakov got his directions off the MGLA website, so :p .

the hands and arms! Quite amusing.

As I said to Golden last night, I figure if I'm boring them with what I'm saying, I can entertain them with my wild gesticulations.

Maybe we can get a clip posted so you can enjoy a global ribbing.

There was some guy with a camera, but I smashed into him with my car and stole the tape while he was hollering for an ambulance.

What where the other two then if DVMatte was the third?

He was demonstrating the Build Your Own Keyer methodology to demonstrate how the Color Difference Keyer works -- and how you ultimately have more control if you go the BYOK route. He also showed Primatte, and talked about the difference between "linear" and "geometric" keying. I talked about using the luminescence channel as a source for beefing up a normally derived matte by keeping detail (present in the luminescence channel because it is uncompressed).

That is, between bouts of seizure-like arm waving. :p

16. Golden-Y

Nov 18, 2000
    Well,the directions were from the MGLA website. :) Dave do no bad.

The arm thing is probably for presentation purposes.

And the other two keyers were just the ones in AE like.....crap, my mind is blank now. The one from Knoll and I think Primatte. Not sure. I wish I could open AE right now, but I'm late for work. I do remember he opened up Primatte.

EDIT: I'm slow! ARGH! Well....off to work. :)

17. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Dave,

I want a report on my desk ASAP :) this is news.

18. Amidala_Nutley

Amidala_Nutley Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2001
    "Oy Macomber, what is it with you and giving directions then?"

::Back up:: Sorry Daft, got to go with Rive on this one, surely Golden Y had a mobile!!! ;)

Still think we should move now I have the directions [face_love]

19. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Color Range, I think was the other one.

It was fun, but I found it a little painful how several of the presenters seemed uncomfortable with AE--and in a couple cases, the very programs they were there to present.

And I felt the pain when 3D Film kept crashing. Good thing this wasn't SIGGRAPH.

Then of course Dave and Alex ruled the night. The saddest part was I STILL didn't notice the arm waving. [face_plain]

Yakov: don't even GET me started on parking and directions.

Dave didn't give them though, they were off the website. I printed up the Yahoo directions and all, but forgot to print the address. Whoops. I still made it.

You could tell that people were paying attention because almost every time Alex keyed something using his magic touch people would gasp and murmur as the bluescreen just vanished. That blue spill removal trick was just brilliant but I still can't get my mind around it. LOL

I had to leave early because my friends (to whom I'm sure the whole thing sounded like "And then you pull down the 'Meat Wagon' menu, and you can open the dialogue to defibrillate the marmosets at increasing intervals along a slider...") were in techno-shock, and very hungry as we had had to skip dinner to go, and we all had heartburn. I had to interrupt Alex as he took a breath to say adios (it's a good thing he's got a good voice, because that man can TALK).

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and will try to make future occasions.

Next time, Dave, more advance warning!!

M. Scott

20. Tri-Som_Gare

Tri-Som_Gare Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    Damn, I am so sory I missed this. I really tried to get out there for it.

Can you do it again tonight? :)

2 days late and $2.00 short, as usual...

Gare

21. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Well I'm down the road in San Diego. It's good to know who's in LA. It's probably close enough to collaborate on a fanfilm with someone from LA.

22. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm currently in South Orange County - Coto de Caza :D

23. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    i'm about an hour or two away from LA. I int telling you my city though only two people on the net know what city it is.

24. Golden-Y

Nov 18, 2000
    Oh yeah, Macho, better be careful there. I wouldn't want to find out that you live right next to me ;)

j/k

It's not like people are going to stalk you, waiting for you to turn your back so they could snatch your CTK. :D

I live in Reseda, CA.
    w00t w00t.

EDIT: Or is it 3DTK. Ah well.

25. Lord_Rive

Jun 29, 2000
    Sorry about the notice guys, really -- but I didn't have much either, truth to tell. I was in San Fran last weekend to meet with a team from dvG that I'm doing some work with, and Alex mentioned that he was speaking at MGLA. We talked about having me join him... He mentioned a date later in September...

Then I got a confirmation email from Chris Meyer Monday night. I went, "Holy Moly! Tomorrow night?!?" (or words to that effect... :p ) and started scrambling to find appropriate stills to show.

Next time, provided I have more notice, you'll have more notice. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.