main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LOSE 30 FOR THE 30TH!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by mrcottonsparrot, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    Valeda, feel free to lock the other weight loss thread and keep this one, or whichever you'd like.

This is a new brainstorm I've had for the weight loss support group, I wanted to restart it and rename it.

LOSE 30 POUNDS FOR THE 30TH ANNIVERSARY! Join the "30 for the 30th Club"!!

If you start in the next week, this will average out to approximately a little less than 30 pounds, or about 1 pound a week, which is a safe and steady weight loss that just about anyone can do with only a few changes in one's lifestyle.

Please refer to the original weight loss support group thread.

Start here. Make yourself known (you can give just a screen name) and your starting weight, and check in every week or so.

MrCottonsParrot
    Starting: 345
    Goal: at least down to 315
    30 for the 30th!

2. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    OK, I'll keep this one and remove the other one, makes it easier.

3. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Good morning fellow losers!! The Halloween candy is gone, we have a very specific and do-able goal, the support group is in place so let's start losing!

My biggest downfall is that I live with my 6 foot 2 inch 15 year old padawan that only weighs 145 pounds. He can and does eat everything and doesn't gain a thing. I need the support of others that are having the same struggles as myself. My hope is that this thread will be a terrific support system to us all!

Jedifan77
    Starting: 164
    Goal: 135
    Plan: Start exercising regularly at Curves, eat balanced meals & snack healthy.

4. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    To heck with 30 - my waistline tells me I need drop close to 50. Got to look good for all those pics in LA.

5. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    What each of us may need to lose isn't the question. We need to focus on what's safe and practicle to lose in our time frame. 30 pounds from anybody will make them feel a whole lot better, both phyically and self esteem wise. My concern is that nobody set their goal too high then get discouraged and quit. Remember, any loss is better than a gain!!

So, are ya joining us JJ?

6. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Jedifan77, I'd love to join you guys, but I have my C4 weight-loss regimen slated to start Jan. 1st once the holiday season has finished. I come from a big Italian family, and you know how well we like to eat & drink come Thanksgiving and Christmas time (plus my birthday is New Year's Eve). So starting before then would be tough for me to stay faithful to my diet and remain on-track.

But at least I can share my goals with you:

JediJustin
    Starting Weight: 220 lbs.
    Desired Weight: 170-175 lbs.

7. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Come join us in January. I don't believe in missing out on the holiday meals. My goal during this time is to really limit the amount I eat of the abundance of cookies and candy that are always around the office during that time. Our parents are VERY generous with baked goodies for the staff during this time. If I seriously limit the snacking, it will be good!

Anybody else want to share holiday goals?

8. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    mm okay, I need to loose some weight and that seems like a cool activity to promote on SWD.

I think I should do both then.

:)

9. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I just had my first victory! I went into the office and was confronted by a platter of huge Costco muffins. Without thought, my hand started reaching for a blueberry muffin, then I thought about this thread and walked away empty handed. It was a small win, but a victory none the less!

10. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004
    It's so great to hear from everyone on here --

I totally believe in holiday mealtime as well, believe me! I took that into consideration when I posted this. At this point, 30 pounds would be just about 1 pound a week, which is extremely safe and practical. Of course if you don't need to lose that much, you shouldn't, and it's why I also tout the "lose 10%" theory.

I've heard from fans in the last 12 hours, with the Freshman 15 to the range of all sorts of different situations. I'm not saying "30 or nothing" I'm just saying that those of us who CAN stand to lose 30 pounds or more, like me, and I KNOW there are a lot of out there, can make this a rational goal.

I'm frankly really not worried about someone in SW fandom possibly losing more than they should safely -- to my own self I am true, and take a look at the attendees of pretty much any con (and believe me, I'm right in that category). Obviously if you can fit into a Slave Leia costume and totally make it work, you don't need to lose 30 pounds. But this is the exception, not the rule... This thread is just for support and ideas, and a common goal for those of us who need it.

What is a pound a week? 1 pound is 3500 calories. Divided by 7 days, is 500 calories a day. All you have to do is forego what is really a very small amount -- take a look at the things you eat and/or snack on -- an average candy bar is about 400-500 calories. Saying no to just ONE snack item a day, pretty much covers you, and we haven't even taken exercise into consideration yet. If you start early, there is no need to feel deprived or be unsafe about it.

Holiday advice: Remember to go out for a walk during your holiday festivities -- if nothing else, it will help your system digest your yummies!

MCP

11. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004
    Hurray! There's probably your 500 for the day! One day at a time, just keep that 500 in your head every day (or maybe 501, if you're so inclined!). Small wins added together make up the big wins!

I just had a small pack of Sunchips instead of a proferred doughnut (I HATE morning pastry temptations!). No trans fat, and probably half the calories at least.

But sunchips is not something to have in the morning, geez, it's not even 11:00 yet. I usually bring my own snack from home and didn't -- try doing that as well, it helps curb the muffin monster!

MCP

12. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Best of luck to all of you. Nothing like some mutual motivation to help out the inspiration. :)

13. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004
    I seem to be promoting Curves a lot -- I swear I don't work for them and am receiving no bribes!

They do sell some supplements/products, and one thing they have that I *really* like is a "portion plate" which is kinda like a purple TV dinner plate, with sections for everything. A lot of people simply don't know what a healthy portion of meat, butter, etc. is, so this takes a lot of the guesswork out. It has sections for salad, protein, veggies, nuts, dressing (in its own lidded container so no mess), crackers or carbs, etc. and it has a freeze-pack in the lid, so you can freeze it overnight and take it to work. It's about $9, and I highly recommend it.

FYI Guys -- yes, Curves is a ladies-only gym franchise, and they kind of freak out if a gentleman walks in since it's pretty much all the action going on in the same big room. Feel free to send a lady in your life into one of these places if you'd like to buy one -- or I see them on eBay a lot.

Finally a tip that helps at fast food burger places, when you "just gotta": Order the kid's meal. A *regular* kids meal (small burger, small fries, small drink) is what the average ADULT should be having for a fast food meal. I also tout In N Out, since it's not only cheaper than the other chains, the meat tastes a heckuva lot better...

One of my nutritionists used to say, 'If you are going to cheat, really mean it.' By that she didn't mean going crazy, she meant the QUALITY. If you are jonesing for a piece of chocolate, she said DON'T do the easy way out by just going to the grocery store or 7-11 and buy a mass-market candy bar. Make yourself WORK for it. Get in your car, go to somewhere GOOD like See's or Godiva, and buy ONE piece, take it home, and eat it. If you still even WANT it when you consider the thought of going through all that hassle (9 times out of 10, I didn't...) then you've rewarded yourself with a high-quality treat instead of some junk. It really broke me of my candy habit (I had just 3 pieces of Halloween candy with no difficulty...) and lost my first 20 pounds from my highest weight. Now if I could just do that with pasta...

Okay, that's enough harping for the day. Have a great weekend and keep it up!

MCP

14. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    My wife goes to Curves and she enjoys it. The male equivalent is The Blitz. It isn't nearly as widespread as Curves though. I used to go to The Blitz that was here in my town...but then it closed :rolleyes: Guys, if there is a Blitz near you I'd recommend it. A half-hour and your done, and little to no intimidation factor.

15. Darth_Tofu

Darth_Tofu Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    WHY????

WHY did my supervisor bring in my two favorite kinds of (fresh from the oven) bread with butter this morning AFTER I've eaten a balanced and healthy breakfast??

16. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Winter Green Life Savers! I just finished lunch and was craving a piece of chocolate. Had a Winter Green Life Saver instead. I have the plastic Kellogs Darth Vader Head Cookie Jar container thingy sitting on my desk filled with them. Of course, I don't know if they'd work against fresh bread... what can I say? I'm a carb-o-holic!

17. Darth_Tofu

Mar 17, 2002
    ooh yeah. you and me both, i LOVE my carbs.

my solution was eating half of one slice and drinking a bottle of water.

I'll have to try the breathsaver thing... I like the lifesavers though, cause they have the hole in the middle and I can put them over my tongue barbell :D it's a most entertaining, edible toy.

18. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    The mint flavor also makes a lot of foods taste funny, so at very least, it deters me for awhile!

19. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm in for the lose 30 for the 30th. :)

20. yoda_pimp

yoda_pimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    I am in. I am just on the too-big side to get the Han Bespin outfit I want for CIV. 30 pounds just might do it. It is great to have a support group that understands your goal is to fit in a Star Wars costume. I am sure most people in other groups just wouldn't understand.

Starting Weight:315
    CIV Target:285 or less
    Overall Target:230-240 (this will take a while)

May the Force be with us.....

21. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    We all have to remember that we didn't gain the weight overnight, so it will take awhile to get it off. No matter how long it takes, it's worth it!

22. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I think this is not a bad idea. Although, I don't weigh as much as some of you guys (no disrespect), dropping 30lbs would still be good for me.

I'm currently 12st 8lbs (my scales don't do pounds in total), which equates to 175lbs (roughly); if I were to drop 30lbs between now and May, that would take me down to 145lbs with a BMI of 22 for a 5'8" man...which is perfect! Apparently, I'm supposed to be in the range of 125-164lbs, so that's pretty much slap-bang in the middle.

I could live with that. And then of course have to work off all the weight I'll put on out in LA...gotta love American food!

23. Joerhyno

Joerhyno Jedi Youngling

Oct 11, 2006
    Hey, this seems like a cool idea, I turned 30 this year and thought it was time to start eating healthier and I've been reading a book about eating and living healthier and was doing some online research... lol.. though.. I guess I should start following it(that Taco Bell I had last night doesn't help)...

Anyway, from reading the book, I thought I'd list some of the easy things that you can do everyday that'll help.

Walking for at least 30 mins a day(I think the book talks about exercising for 30 mins a day, and lists walking as one that would cover this, of course, doing more would help more). Another hint, and it kinda goes along with the next one was to find a small local grocery store in your area, one in walking distance, in stead of you jumping in the car and driving to the huge supermarket, walk down to the local grocer.. and buy your groceries... now, this may mean not buying as much at a time, but that just means more trips to the grocer ;) and that means more exercise!

Parking farther away in the parking lot at work/stores/malls- This makes you ahve to walk more, which burns more calories, although you might want that first spot.. think of it as cheating yourself ;)

eat a piece of buttered bread before breakfast-An average meal takes roughly 30 mins to digest that's why you might find yourself craving a snack when you get to work, when you add butter(or a source of fat), it takes longer for your body to break down the "fat" so when you eat that bread and butter before breakfast, instead of 30 mins.. it could take up to 2 hours to totally digest your breakfast, leading you to not have that "urge" to hit the vending machine.

Drink at least 10 cups of ICE water a day- I actually think it was more... you have to make sure it's ICE cold water, your body has to heat up the water to body temperature before it can process it,and in doing so, it's burning calories... one tip was to drink a cup of ice water before a meal, not only will it help in burning some calories you're about to take in, it'd also help fill you up a little so you dont eat as much.

Find something that you'll enjoy doing as an exercise- Some people mentioned a fitness center they go to, but in reality, not everyone can go to one, or muster up the willpower to.. one thing is to find something that you'll enjoy doing.. a lot of people join a club, pay that $100-200 a year, then stop going about 4 months into it... some suggestions would be bike riding, walking with small weights, heck even an aerobics video.. something small that will help your burn those extra calories.. I bought an Xbox game called "You Yourself" it's interactive and it's fun.. I just gotta use it more, lol...

If you have to cheat and eat fast foods, do it right- The best thing would be to avoid all fast foods, but like my late night trip to Taco Bell, that's not always gonna happen.. One thing to do is change what you eat.. instead of that triple whopper king size meal.. try a salad, yeah, I know it's a big difference.. maybe start off with one of those salads that have chicken in them.. then slowly get rid of the chicken.. also, the amount you eat is a major problem.. try cutting down the portions you have.. instead of 4 whopping spoonfulls of mamma's homemade mashed potatoes go with two, grab some extra peas instead and dont take as much of Dad's steak as you used too..

It's small steps like this that'll all help.. someone mentioned that it took awhile to put the pounds on, and we're not gonna loose them over night.. that's True.. it takes time, reasons diets fail, is people either dont see a change and give up, or people loose that first 10lbs, and think they can go back to having that triple whopper...

With all that beig said.. I'm game for this..
    Starting: 191(going from last time I weighed at my parents.. I guess I gotta get a scale)
    Goal:160

24. Darth_Tofu

Mar 17, 2002
    so I've discovered a weight loss technique that works out great for me...

My housesitting place doesn't have a microwave.

I'm just hoping I don't starve to death.

I'm drinking a lot of tea, and eating toast for at least two meals a day. (and I eat about 4 or 5 meals so that's ok) :)

25. JEDI-KNIGHT-JAY

JEDI-KNIGHT-JAY Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2003
    When does this start. I'm in if in January. How is everyone going to do this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.